Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
His statements were overloaded with sarcasm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by siperkin View Post
I see most of this as lazy journalism with a lack of research in the subject
The only criticism I have about that piece is that the author implies that doing thumb and finger gymnastics on a touch screen is inherently better than doing thumb gymnastics on buttons/keyboards.

But in general a lot of "journalism" these days revolves around regurgitating clueless blogs.

More interesting is the linked article "Why Nokia can't crack the U.S. market". It quotes a Dan Hays who says
... America is a country that Nokia has historically been unable to play nice with. Unlike wireless providers abroad, carriers here like to exercise some control over the look and feel of the devices running on their networks. Other device manufacturers are willing to collaborate, but Nokia has been unwavering in its insistence on having complete control over both the hardware and software of its phones.
I find that hard to believe since Nokia has always done customised phones for UK carriers, and a few for US carrier(s) even.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Remember: There are no longer separate Symbian and MeeGo developers, they are all Qt developers.
What if I want to have better garbage collector with defragmentation and reorganization of allocated heap memory (for L2 cache) on the run time, and possibility to optimize code on the runtime based on running profile gathered during the run? I need Java or Dalvik for that.

Nokia somehow dislikes Java. It may be a problem in the future when mobile phones are getting more cores in their CPUs and more RAM memory (thats when on the run profiling and on the fly optimization comes possible)

Google did its home work when it chose "Java". The future with long (time) running applications which use lots of (or often) dynamic memory is with interpreted languages, not with fully compiled ones.

Last edited by zimon; 2010-09-19 at 05:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Ah, excellent. A new generic bashing topic allowing me to re-iterate my opinions ad nauseam. *does the Mr. Burns signature move*

Let me start by stating that I have never played angry birds, despite it being available for the N900. I'm going a bit for the unthinkable here, but I have no intention of commenting about the game. Why is that? Because I have no time whatsoever to play any games on my N900 .

Well then. Why did I bother to open my mouth at all? Great question. Let's see... First, I found the claims that google whipped up android in no time at all to be hilarious. It was surely a long and painful process. And as someone has pointed out, google actually bought android in the first place.

Moreover, the reason why Nokia can't do the same lies in the vastly different corporate culture. Google is famous for having the most casual work environment ever and paying absurd amounts of money for every researchers pet projects, whether any of them ever actually will turn any profit or not. (They have been making money out of surprisingly many, though).

Nokia, on the other hand, is completely stagnant. It took them years and years of slow iteration to get somewhere with maemo (talk about the five steps, huh). Nowadays, they subcontract elsewhere large parts of their application development, so there's no "Nokia spirit" holding everything together.

Also, recently it's been quite entertaining to follow the finnish tabloids writing about Nokia. Headlines include "Stock options killed Nokia creativity" (ex-corporate lawyer reveals all the juicy details) and "New CEO brought in behind OPK's back".

Also, a lot of Nokia workers I know have complained being on a very short leash. Whether they are just the whiny type or to be taken seriously... well, I think I'll pass the ball on this one.

Then, there's the Java question. Now, this is where things get interesting. Whether google got it right or not, will depend a whole lot on the outcome of the current Oracle vs. Google lawsuit. I suspect that Ironically, Oracle winning will kill whatever relevance Java has left. Or maybe they bought Sun thinking Java was dead already, and that there was a lot of money to be made in litigation. In any case, android's future is up to the court now. Unless they settle, of course.

Well, life's sure gonna be interesting. Maybe Elop will completely f**** up Nokia and maybe Android will die. I bet the execs at MS and The Fruit are already drooling

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suurorca For This Useful Post:
The fact that this article is up on tech crunch (or one of its sub-sites) is a red flag. They generally just rant and shoot off random ideas with little basis in reality. Meego is more interesting than just being a "minority" project for hardcore geeks, or at least it could be. I'm genuinely excited about it, and I don't really have that much technical knowledge.
I think it looks and runs better than any linux distro I've seen, and it doesn't bite on other styles like iOS or Android. It is, and will be its own beast, and hopefully with cross platform rollout, users will appreciate a more unified experience when they go from their car to their phone, to whatever small tablet/netbook they are using, instead of the random "crippled android" service providers are going to shove out and/or the "boys in the bubbles" who live in Apple's very locked-down wonderland and never come out to play.
The only things they need to do are to greatly improve navigation and to drastically redo the Ovi Store.
I still can't wait to drop Meego into my N900.