For no reason I can think of, that was my very first impression/thought, too.

DG

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
For those who really need insane amounts of extra power , I know of one product that does work:

BatteryGeek are manufacturers of all linds of external battery packs, and the one they offer for the Sony PSP does work for the Nokia 770.

Y'all have to googgel them up by yourselves, 'cuz I lost the urrel.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Originally Posted by cagilaba
I pronounce it MY-mo [in my head].
I thought I did, but saying it out loud (I think for the first time ever, and only to myself) it came out as "May-Moe".

Oh well, shows I'll even argue with myself.

I guess it's one of those questions that has not real answer. As mentioned previously, there is the "encyclopaedia" example for a long E. The condos we live in are named "Saebroc", pronounced Say-brahk. And then there is the long I, as well as many other non-English possibilities.

In the absence of any knowledge of original intentions, if there are any, I guess it will just have to be debated along with the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin.

DG

Hi all.

This might come a bit too late, but i can tell you how to pronunce "maemo". I came up with the name, so...

The origin is as stated: pwgen (a password generator utility which you can set to give you all character passwords) gave me an option, "maimo". I used 5 characters names for my machines, so i also restricted it to that. But I did not like the "i" so I changed it for an "e".

Maemo was the name of my desktop, and little by little it gathered importance in the project, as i made it the canonical repository for everybody involved. And became THE server. And the project. And the SDK. And the OS.

So now that the origin is clear, and me being Spanish and Finnish being pronounced almost exactly as Spanish...

"mah-Eh-mo"

mah as the beginning of my
eh as the "e" in "pet"
mo as in Monica, but only pronouncing the M and the O.

Hope you like it.

The Following 39 Users Say Thank You to jesuscliment For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jesuscliment View Post
Hi all.
So now that the origin is clear, and me being Spanish and Finnish being pronounced almost exactly as Spanish...
"mah-Eh-mo"
mah as the beginning of my
eh as the "e" in "pet"
mo as in Monica, but only pronouncing the M and the O.
Hope you like it.
You've just ruined my life... *sob*. No, but seriously, that's nice to know, but I'll probably just keep calling it May-Mo, because the correct way seems more awkward for me - and I'm young and set in my ways. Thanks for letting us know the truth, though. :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Dude, make a recording of you saying it. Then it will make more sense.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Holy "old old post" revivals batman

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bac522 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yeah, but it was revived by the guy who came up with the word! How cool is that?

And anyway, what did you expect Jesus to do? Start a new thread? No. He had to resurrect this thread.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Dude, make a recording of you saying it. Then it will make more sense.
my name is jesuscliment and pronounce maemo, maemo!

I will be waiting to listen to this????
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penguinbait For This Useful Post: