Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
If people donated enough money to the CordiaTab project (which ground to a halt because asinine Chinese manufacturers are able to get away without releasing their Linux kernel source, preventing further development and testing), we may yet have a proper, truly open tablet running MeeGo (granted, Cordia specifically is a MeeGo with a hildon-desktop style UI, but it would be MeeGo tablet, and if the CordiaTab actually became a reality, it would take almost no effort to get a more 'vanilla' MeeGo instance running on it.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by springwork View Post
I agree! I think Nokia needs to think again about quitting Meego. Seriously! Nokia should visit MAEMO forum and carefully listen to us. I don't like Android or Windows Mobile because they have not much freedom or flexibilities as Maemo or Meego OS does. I love my N900 because of the OS. I love QT apps. I hope Nokia will continue on Meego-based tablets and phones.
Nokia doesnt care what people want, they just want to sell their WP7 sh.t to the masses of sheep.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
pick up an exopc...it is the same device with more memory. then you can just set it up to do a double or triple boot and put win7/ubuntu/wetab on it.

----------------------------------------------------------
EXOPC Partitioning Notes

===================================

Create EXOPC Tri-boot
Windows / Ubuntu / MeeGo Alpha and
WeTab/ Ubuntu / MeeGo Alpha
EXOPCs thus far.
They use the Linux GRUB2 bootloader to determine which OS to boot into.

EXOPC NO KEYBOARD GRUB select: tap your left thumb of the light sensor in the upper left corner to change the boot OS, then hold your thumb down to select and start the boot.

Tools to have:

USB keyboard
> 1GB SD Cards (more elegant, save USB ports for keyboard and mouse) OR
> 1GB USB thumb drives
USB CD drive and CDs

Optional, helpful
USB hub so you can plug the mouse and keyboard into one USB slot, save the other for the USB thumb drive .img or .iso USB mouse

Software to have ready and installed on media (SD, USB, or CD)
- Gparted live: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
- WeTab recovery and install .img:
http://wetab.mobi/en/developers/downloads-and-howtos/
Download .img or torrent under section entitiled “HowTo – Install WeTab OS with Recovery USB Boot Stick” NOTE: Accompanying instructions on the wetab web page are WRONG!! Need to follow instructions below.
- latest Meego Alpha: http://appdeveloper.intel.com/en-us/meego-sdk-suite
- Ubuntu install (either Intel 32-bit or 64-bit works):
http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
Transfer all software properly as .img or .iso files to SD cards OR USB thumb drives OR CDs so they can boot

Because of the limitations of the various installers and gparted you have to install in specific orders to get everything on. The general order is:
Windows or WeTab first
Ubuntu second, shrinking the Windows partition to 25GB or WeTab partition to 8-12GB as part of the Ubuntu install (This also establishes GRUB2 as the boot loader) Shrink the Ubuntu partition with an Ubuntu live or Gparted live media by
10 GB, creating 10GB of free, unallocated space Install the MeeGo .img into the 10GB of free, unallocated space

INSTALLING WETAB: WeTab Installer image stops a screen with lots of text and an International warning symbol saying to press the EXOPC's ambient light sensor twice to start the install: THAT DOESN’T WORK. Instead, once at that screen:
1) attach a USB keyboard
2) press CTRL-ALT-F3 to get shell
3) log in as root, password “wetab”
4) tiitoo-installer.sh silent_installer /mnt/live/system.tar.bz2 after a little while you should get a progress meter showing that WeTab is installing

Install WeTab, then install Ubuntu from live media, choose “install alongside unknown Linux OS” (which is WeTab in our case), I shrunk the WeTab partition down to 12GB.

After Ubuntu is installed: shrink the Ubuntu partition with an Ubuntu live or Gparted live media by 10 GB, creating 10GB of free, unallocated space Install the MeeGo .img into the 10GB of free, unallocated space

MeeGo Alpha img has option: “Use free space on selected drives and create default layout”. Make sure you made free space with Gparted earlier, the MeeGo Alpha will find it and install there.

Boots into MeeGo by default after img install, have to boot from Ubuntu live SD/USB/CD and follow the instructions from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...0from%20LiveCD
This will help you re-acquire the Ubuntu partition if necesary and help you re-find the other OSes, WeTab and MeeGo will show up as "unknown Linux" in grub boot menu.

(text from the link immediately above excerpted and pasted here:
• Boot to the LiveCD Desktop (Ubuntu 9.10 or later).
• Open a terminal by selecting Applications, Accessories, Terminal from the menu bar.
• Determine the partition with the Ubuntu installation. The fdisk option "-l" is a lowercase "L".
• sudo fdisk -l
• If the user isn't sure of the partition, look for one of the appropriate size or formatting.
• Running sudo blkid may provide more information to help locate the proper partition, especially if the partitions are labeled. The device/drive is designated by sdX, with X being the device designation.
sda is the first device, sdb is the second, etc. For most users the MBR will be installed to sda, the first drive on their system. The partition is designated by the Y. The first partition is 1, the second is 2. Note the devices and partitions are counted differently.
• Mount the partition containing the Ubuntu installation.
• sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
• Example: sudo mount /dev/sda1 Note: If the user has a separate /boot partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/boot Note: If the user has a separate /home partition, this must be mounted to /mnt/home. Encrypted home partitions should work.
• Run the grub-install command as described below. This will reinstall the GRUB 2 files on the mounted partition to the proper location and to the MBR of the designated device.
• sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX
• Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

In Grub 1.99, introduced with Ubuntu 11.04, Natty Narwhal, a new switch is available which more clearly defines where the grub folder is placed. The command above will still work with Grub 1.99, but the following command is preferred by the developers. The target directory in the command is the command into which the grub folder will be installed. By default, and without the switch, the location is /boot/grub. In these instructions, since the Ubuntu partition is mounted on /mnt, the target would be /mnt/boot/grub.
• sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sdX
• Example: sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda
• Reboot
• Refresh the GRUB 2 menu with sudo update-grub

here's what gparted reports as the partitioning scheme for my tri-boot WeTab (Meego) - Ubuntu 11.04 - Meego Alpha EXOPC:

Partition File System Size Used Unused Flags
/dev/sda1 ext3 203.92 MiB 21.70 Mib 182.22 MiB WeTAB BOOT?
/dev/sda2 linux-swap 2.01GiB WeTAB SWAP?
/dev/sda3 ext3 18.62 GiB 3.05GiB 15.57 GiB WeTAB (shrunk manually by me)
/dev/sda4 extended 38.80GiB (Physical Partition holding extended partions 5, 6, 7, 8)
/dev/sda5 ext4 24.51 GiB 3.14 GiB 21.38 GiB UBUNTU (shrunk manually by
me)
/dev/sda7 ext3 250 MiB 21.90 MiB 228.10 MiB boot MEEGO BOOT
/dev/sda8 btrfs 12.05 GiB 1.36 GiB 10.69 GiB MEEGO
/dev/sda6 linux-swap 1.99 GiB
(I deleted an sda9 of 2GiB earlier so I suspect that meego alpha has no
swap)

Note that each OS wants it's own 2GiB swap, but suspend doesn't seem to work in the MeeGo alpha anyway so I deleted it (sda9)

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
WeTab OS update 2.4.1 released today

A new update 2.4.1 of the WeTab OS system software has been released providing the following changes:

Upgrade to kernel version 3.2 with support for more external devices

Optimized power settings functionalities

Increased graphics and video performance

Improved G-Sensor rotation

Increased WIFI and Bluetooth network stability

General improvements on performance and stability

Bugfix for "forgotten password" problem

Several other bugfixes.

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
I've not tried the ExoPC GUi layer for Windows 7, is it any good?

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
Not that this is what the thread is about, but I looked into the touch instance support of the ExoPc and found out the wikipedia entry is misleading, namely the touch instance support is limited to 2 touch instances.

I think Exo got misled by their OEM supplier.

I asked Intel support for the Exo engineering sample to look into it and got the reply.

"EETI [say the] eGalax PCAP7200 hardware only supports 2-touch." [they said that the] "PCAP7200 just support 2 touch instances, this is limitations of the hardware.
If you want that support 10-touch instance, it must collocate to EXC7900 and EX5920 IC.”

Last edited by tonypercy; 2012-02-22 at 11:01.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by tonypercy View Post
I've not tried the ExoPC GUi layer for Windows 7, is it any good?
IMHO, not at all! YMMV.

Wetab seems like a dead end!
Sorry to burst your bubbles.