To start with on this post, I'd like to thank all of the awesome developers for their support, and to the community at large for (mostly) being crazy about the Maemo/MeeGo platforms. I can't tell you how many times I've seen this;

Code:
[Announce] Awesome software you must play with NOW!
And then click on the page and realize... YES I must play with it now or my brain will explode like a creeper in Minecraft. But then I have to pull out my phone, open up TMO, then click the tiny screen and then find the tiny link to the .deb file and install it.
This would be SO much nicer if we could get MeeScan, or Code Cam, or the programs on the N900 (can't recall the names at the moment, and there may even be the same type on the rest of the Maemo series) to simply scan a QRCode to download the .deb package(s).
I see it all the time on Android pages, and I seem to recall some meego site (my-meego.com?) that had a few that had the codes to scan. This would make my (and many others) day.

Secondly;

With the N900 you have extras and extras-devel. Problem is sometimes people upload packages, then instead of creating a new epoch of the package (for example, 1:1.0.0 and 2:2.0.0) instead of creating a package with a new name (for example awesome-package1 and awesome-package2).
This 'dirties' up the repository, and I know there are several instances of this on the N900. One such instance is the alpine package (http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=alpine). Though this particular instance is a conflicting package name. But there are examples like kernel-power48, 49 and 50. I think the repositories need a good clean up.

This brings me to Harmattan. For a long time I was wishing that the developer of IRC Chatter would upgrade it, since from what I've seen it's the best IRC client for the N9. IRC wasn't even included in the Extra Accounts Plugins.
I always thought the version in... well now I don't recall what repository it was in, but it was a very old version and I had to do a google search to find the post on meego.com for it http://wiki.meego.com/IRC_Chatter, this should really be in a repository somewhere.
There are also rzr's repository, Apps for MeeGo, MeeCatalog, etc. Granted, I think MeeCatalog is just a front end for some of the apt repositories, but could be wrong about that. There is such an inconsistent splattering of fantastic software out there that is hard to reach for most end users because they simply don't know where to look.

My last suggestion / question is this; When / if Nokia decides to dump maemo.org, what happens to the repositories of Nokia's? I'm talking about the ones that are hosting the majority of closed source goodies. I mean garage.maemo.org could most likely just be mirrored somewhere else, or just onto a different server if they're handing off the domain to us. But what happens to all the nokia.com repos?

Just some thoughts, and hopefully thought of as good ones!

slaapliedje

Edit: had to fix double spaces, it looked horrible and wasn't appropriate.
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

Last edited by slaapliedje; 2012-08-08 at 01:43. Reason: Double spacing looks aweful.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
Posts: 640 | Thanked: 435 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ rajvoSa BA
+1 totally agree with qr codes for both meego and maemo

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by wook_sf View Post
+1 totally agree with qr codes for both meego and maemo
As long as the qrcodes for maemo doesnt destroy it for us that dont use them, then i dont care
But the repositories do need a cleanup, and themes should be moved to its own category.

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
There should be some mobile version of tmo as forum-tmo app doesn't work with meecolay yet

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
This would be SO much nicer if we could get MeeScan, or Code Cam, or the programs on the N900 (can't recall the names at the moment, and there may even be the same type on the rest of the Maemo series) to simply scan a QRCode to download the .deb package(s).
I'm already doing this with Mieru - see the first post in its thread.

Nokia store Qr Code

http://store.ovi.com/content/234303

Apps for MeeGo Qr Code

http://apps.formeego.com/application...raphics/mieru/

Now when I think of it, I should probably also include Qr codes for the cutting-edge repository I have on COBS.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-08-08 at 08:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
This brings me to Harmattan. For a long time I was wishing that the developer of IRC Chatter would upgrade it, since from what I've seen it's the best IRC client for the N9. IRC wasn't even included in the Extra Accounts Plugins.
I always thought the version in... well now I don't recall what repository it was in, but it was a very old version and I had to do a google search to find the post on meego.com for it http://wiki.meego.com/IRC_Chatter, this should really be in a repository somewhere.
Yeah, it has been quite a while since last update. I've requested some features like better auto-connection, log files and some other fixes on nemo bugzilla (you can report n9 bugs/enchantments also) and developer said those are planned, it was 2 weeks ago so it's still under development.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I'm already doing this with Mieru - see the first post in its thread.

Nokia store Qr Code

http://store.ovi.com/content/234303

Apps for MeeGo Qr Code

http://apps.formeego.com/application...raphics/mieru/

Now when I think of it, I should probably also include Qr codes for the cutting-edge repository I have on COBS.
This might be a better way to go IMO. If the devs can start making a habit of adding QR codes to their threads, it would make things easier for some.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
There should be some mobile version of tmo as forum-tmo app doesn't work with meecolay yet
A forum app would be nice yes. I would not use it my self but can guess many would.

As for the idea of the idea of having a mobile UI for the forum who's famous for supporting the device that can view real webpages in their entirety well... I can't agree

Personally I can't bloody stand watered down webUI's and do not like being redirected to pages without my consent.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
This might be a better way to go IMO. If the devs can start making a habit of adding QR codes to their threads, it would make things easier for some.

A forum app would be nice yes. I would not use it my self but can guess many would.

As for the idea of the idea of having a mobile UI for the forum who's famous for supporting the device that can view real webpages in their entirety well... I can't agree

Personally I can't bloody stand watered down webUI's and do not like being redirected to pages without my consent.
Yeah, but computer webpages eat MB on mobile internet!

A dialog can always be made whether you want the mobile version, as with pons.eu

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
I believe there already is an 'app' for tmo, it's in the Apps for Meego repository. I also agree that there isn't much point for such things, since I just open it with the browser (it's used so much, talk.maemo.org is the top two listed! Not sure why that is though..)

QR codes for each [Announce] thread would be fantastic though, although we may also have the posters put [Announce Alpha] or [Announce Beta], and then [Release]? That way people who shy away from playing with fancy new software won't install it then whine when their phone blows up, or starts downloading pictures of hairy midgets.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following User Says Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
I believe there already is an 'app' for tmo, it's in the Apps for Meego repository. I also agree that there isn't much point for such things, since I just open it with the browser (it's used so much, talk.maemo.org is the top two listed! Not sure why that is though..)

QR codes for each [Announce] thread would be fantastic though, although we may also have the posters put [Announce Alpha] or [Announce Beta], and then [Release]? That way people who shy away from playing with fancy new software won't install it then whine when their phone blows up, or starts downloading pictures of hairy midgets.

slaapliedje
The default download/update on N900 had/has pro and contra, but I loved the possibility to choose repositories, see the comment and/or changelog from developer, the paccages includet and the download/installation size.