Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I think all mobile OS and ecosystems failing when it comes to securety simply becouse that wasn't a priorety when they were designed.

during 2013 I'm sure we will see worse things happen simply when entering a weburl. This is pretty limited so far and most focus on when you install something.

Apple encrypt all data which is exellent but how do apps send information, the most apps I have been investigated send username and password in clear text which makes me pissed .

mobiles are simply not secure! To me android has seriuos securety issues, with apple, microsoft and BB slightly better. What do you think?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-23 at 13:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Have you seen this?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Have you seen this?
Have you tried it? might try it on emulator. But seems a bit annoying when vendors pumping out so much products, all different. impossible to keep up.

That's why you should get a Nexus.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
To me android has seriuos securety issues, with apple, microsoft and BB slightly better. What do you think?
At least Android tells you what permissions an app requires, with Apple you have no way of knowing.

I read a report stating a researcher from a US university tested around 60 (I think it was 56) of the most popular apps from the Apple app store and found all but a handful were harvesting data and sending it off to remote servers. Most apps were encrypting what they sent so he couldn't say what the data was just that some was being sent. I'll try and find a link to the report, I'm sure I've got it bookmarked on one of my computers.

Aren't the problems with Android users installing malware and giving it permission to run rather than some sophisticated exploit?

Another issue is most SD cards are formatted as Fat 32 which I understand doesn't support the assigning of permissions so apps have free reign over anything stored there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
Yes, I will go for nexus 5, but that doesn't really solve anything .

But I'm thinking in a bigger area here, not a specific device or app. The over ecosystem and OS. Sandboxing more could be one area to move to but that is not perfect either...

Androids permission is a joke. User still not understand what they mean and when they sees them the first time they have already clicked twice and will likely to click again without thinking twice about it. Apple has some restrictions, YES but google is wide open they just recently admit that there was a problem, before that they are in total denial. Google mostly move when the incident has happen.

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-23 at 13:46.

None of them is secure. No software is secure, especially if it has been developed so fast.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
None of them is secure. No software is secure, especially if it has been developed so fast.
That is true and I think the companies behind the Oses must communicate that to the average Joe! They must be forced to take their responsibility and more proactive rather than reactive.

it's not total security I'm looking for but increase the awareness and improving the security.

If a company is compromised on the level that affect the public users they have to admit(forced by law if necessary) it publicly and the extent of the breach. This would be a great first step world wide!

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-01-23 at 14:36.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Secure products, especially mass produced products are products of fiction.

Security always has it's limitations and generally speaking one could say that the people working hard on making secure systems are always one step behind on those who try and find holes in them.

Also I do tend to believe that further simplification of the multiuser/single-user paradigm is prone to increase the amount of insecurity.

/cliche
/kicking_open_doors

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Androids permission is a joke.
How so?

User still not understand what they mean and when they sees them the first time they have already clicked twice and will likely to click again without thinking twice about it.
They're stated in Google Play before you've even downloaded the app, again during installation and you can check them even after you've installed the app. If the user doesn't know what they mean they should RTFM!

Apple has some restrictions, YES but google is wide open they just recently admit that there was a problem, before that they are in total denial.
Would you prefer Google to be more like Apple where they retain control of your device? They decide what you are and aren't allowed to do, what you can and can't install?

80ll0ck5 to that!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post: