how do i install powertop thru my fone... its not in apps manager and cant connect to my computer atm
i have uninstalled a few apps and its not using massive cpu on idle now
unintsalled showtime
and re installed catorise

I think i found what is causing this bug, at least for me.
Im using "catorise".

how to reproduce the bug (5% cpu usage)

Code:
enter the menu
repeat up to 10 times {
  enter some category
  leave the category
}
exit the menu
open xterminal, and voila, hildon-desktop using 5% CPU. You can restart hildon-desktop by typing "killall hildon-desktop" and try it again.
This works every time for me. So the problem is obviously in catorise, or the menu itself.

Sry for english

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Austinek For This Useful Post:
@Austinek : i agree with you, but at the moment i cant uninstall catorise, looks like another reflash is needed.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 101 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
it should be easy to disable catorise. In /etc/xdg/menus should be a file hildon.catorise. This is the orignal n900 menu.
If you move the hildon.menu file to hildon.menu.org and then cp hildon.catorise to hildon.menu you should effectivly disabled the catorise menu.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Planet Earth, sometimes
I can also confirm Austinek's results with Catorise. Seems to cause about 7% cpu usage for me. I've uninstalled it and will see if that solves the hildon-desktop cpu issues.

Cheers,
Menno

does anybody else notice the battery drop about 20 to 30% every time you turn off then on again?

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
does anybody else notice the battery drop about 20 to 30% every time you turn off then on again?
Yes indeed - a drop is expected but of quite so much?

HA

yes it is that much.Not evey time, but especially if I have some sluggish performance trying to watch a video or play a game and the processor is working hard. At that stage when I think I will reboot and try that again, that is when I notice a huge battery drop upon restarting.
Thought it may be related to the huge cpu battery drain problem

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Not related to the catorise / hildon-desktop issue reported here but it is an observable issue nonetheless (and in case I was unclear, I see it too).

I also observe the catorise behaviour, tho' the % usage seldom exceeds 3%

HA

Last edited by handaxe; 2010-06-13 at 20:49.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
THanks to handaxe for pointing me here from the Catorise thread.

It looks like some code, possibly related to the new customisable menu, means that hildon-desktop doesn't work with the perfectly valid freedesktop.org file that Catorise generates. Given that Maemo no longer uses sub-categories, I wonder if the code there is broken (one of the reports above mentions going in and out of a category a dozen times).