Try Catch - That did the trick!

"rm -rf .qmf" immediately after starting terminal (no root access)

It took a while and looked like it was doing nothing but eventually I got back to the "~ $" prompt (sorry, that's N9WB speak for command line prompt).

Then reboot and then... SUCCESS!

On the very first attempt to DL the white arrow wasn't there, but it's there now.

Gmail is running quickly. My library acct. looks to be a big speed-hit culprit (edit: so I didn't re-link it to my phone). I haven't tested my other work acct. (edit: I did relink it to my phone and it works fine - an EXCHANGE server but not set up properly on the server-side and we are actively discouraged from accessing the account through any email client but rather through the web interface).

I had to run the command again ("rm -rf .qmf") b/c one of my gmail accounts ceased to update again. This time the command running was almost instantaneous and after running the command in the terminal AND rebooting, email works once again. What's even odder is that that somehow also fixed my phone from not switching to the low power stand-by screen).

In any case, thank you. Next time you're in NY drink's on me.

Last edited by N9WB; 2012-06-18 at 02:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N9WB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Michigan
I just got my N9 and I had the same problem, and the fix worked great. Thanks alot. N9 rocks!!!

rm -rf .qmf woked fine until few days ago
any help for me??

I am so frustrated with my N9. It was working beautifully for the past month but sometime this week it decided to start failing me. 1st, it no longer automatically connects to wifi so I have to do it manually - several times - before it stays connected.

Then the email will not automatically sync at all. I have to go into Mail & hit the sync-arrows to do it. Today, 1 of my 3 emails no longer works by hitting the sync from the "all messages" screen, I have to click on it individually & then sync it.

I deleted all 3 accounts & recreated them but that did not fix it. My search lead me to this thread & many other sources of info that recommend the same thing: rm -rf /home/user/.qmf

Unfortunately, not being any kind of a rooter/hacker, I have no idea what that means. If the manual sync stops working, I guess it will be time to get a new phone.

Sadness.

Last edited by Nokia69; 2013-12-17 at 17:13.

You need to type the command you have mentioned 'rm -rf /home/user/.qmf
' inside a terminal (application).
To get the terminal application go into the settings -> security -> developer mode. Let the phone reboot and than open a terminal (new icon) type in:

devel-su
rootme
rm -rf /home/user/.qmf

Reboot the phone recreate your accounts and it should work !

The Following User Says Thank You to Mric For This Useful Post:
I did all of that & it kinda worked. My emails still do not automatically update, however, at least all 3 email accounts will again update when I hit the sync-arrows from the "All Messages" screen. I really hope that my push-email will fix itself as manually syncing is going to get annoying after a while since that was 1 of the main reasons I got a smartphone.

Thank you again for the help tho! Now that I know Developer Mode is where you type all of the code, I may revisit that thread on how to delete the camera shutter sound.

Cheers!

Forgot to add: this may be a long shot but I think my lack of wifi connection is somehow tied to my non-syncing email. I remember when I 1st go my N8, the wifi kept disconnecting until I added an email account - it had something to do with energy saving. I notice now with my N9, if I open the web browser, the wifi automatically connects & as long as I leave the browser open, it stays connected; once it is closed, the wifi disconnected. So my theory is since my email is not trying to sync & my phone is not using the wifi, it is turning it off to save energy. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited by Nokia69; 2013-12-17 at 17:35.

Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

The Following User Says Thank You to Schturman For This Useful Post:
In my battery settings I have it set to :
Power Savings Mode: Automatic
Turn on at Battery Level: 20%
I am going to shut this off since I never let my battery get that low anyhow & see if it helps. This is super extra frustrating bc again, my N9 worked fine for the 6 weeks that I have had it & I did not change a thing but now my email & wifi is getting all wonky.

Thanks for the tip!

An unfortunate turn of events - email is still not syncing correctly but w/ my new found knowledge of how to use the terminal in the developer mode, I successfully went in & removed camera sounds via this page:

http://everythingn9.com/how-to-move-...s-on-nokia-n9/

Bad news, I discovered that all of my pics/videos/music were deleted at some point; contacts & calendar are in tact thank goodness. Not sure if it happened when I was trying to fix my email or removing the camera sound but if anyone does either, watch out! Luckily I did not lose anything of value.

Update: OK this is embarrassing but I am going to share in case it helps someone else with the same problem it the future. I apparently accidentally switched off the "Allow Background Connections" toggle/slider/switch - that thing is too easy to accidentally change. Anyhow, when I finally noticed it off & turned it back on -- voila! My wifi stays connected & my email is back to syncing. However, it still occasionally stops but a reboot gets it working again.

Last edited by Nokia69; 2013-12-20 at 14:18.

Deleting "/home/user/.qmf" ONLY deletes emails, right? I don't want to delete my text (sms) and skype and gtalk messages. But is not a big deal if I delete my gtalk messages. Googlemail on my N9 has stopped syncing to the IMAP server. I removed all email accounts on the N9 and then did a backup, but I see that my backup contains 200MB of emails. So when I restore the backup the email files get back to the phone and the phone still doesnt sync to IMAP. I would like to remove all email data and only email data from the phone.

Thanks for this thread !