eh looking back i think i read some of it wrong... but maybe with swf being open gnash will catch up... here's to dreaming.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by steve1974 View Post
Nokia already officially stated there will be absolutely NO flash 10 for the n8xx

Sad but true
Nokia might have said this, but it's Adobe's Project Open Screen that should be what might bring FP10 to the N8xx platform.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Adobe has a monopoly on flash and the US government has yet to recognize it IMO.
When flash 10 is used ubiquitously on the internet and you are the only one holding the keys to the various OS's utilizing it then it is a monopoly.

9.4 ceases to become a product, it barely qualifies, anything below that is "not a product" 100% sure.

They have a monopoly. IMO
They need to be forced to release the code by law.

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Originally Posted by lfcobra View Post
hulu still working (although sluggishly) on n900 flash 9.4

Its also working on my ps3 and i'm pretty sure it has flash 9 something.
How are you watching Hulu on the PS3? Hulu blocked the PS3 browser's user agent string from watching videos months ago.

Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Adobe has a monopoly on flash and the US government has yet to recognize it IMO.
When flash 10 is used ubiquitously on the internet and you are the only one holding the keys to the various OS's utilizing it then it is a monopoly.

9.4 ceases to become a product, it barely qualifies, anything below that is "not a product" 100% sure.

They have a monopoly. IMO
They need to be forced to release the code by law.
You can already produce *.swf - which has been opened for years - as well as reverse engineer *.swf's - which others have done. What is closed up is *.fla files, those are binary. You can code and compile Flash without even buying their software with other alternatives that produce Flash.

Now, as far as a monopoly, they had to basically fight - and won - against VML, SVG, EVA, Silverlight, Java/JavaFX, UIRA (which disappeared). It's had competition; nothing open or competitor was better (pushed) than Flash.

It would be a monopoly in my humble opinion if they simply gobbled up the others or there wasn't any competition. The lack of good competition doesn't denote a monopoly.

When in doubt, look to Microsoft. They bought out their competition instead of beating them. Macromedia/Adobe basically have the Flash Platform that's been upgraded, extended and marketed in such a way that it has stayed a couple of steps ahead in some areas, easier to implement in quite a few areas, has an easy to use/master IDE and then has options if you decide to not use Adobe products if you choose and still produce full-fledged Flash files.

I can't say the same for Silverlight.

Proprietary... yes. Monopoly? I'm not convinced. And opening it up (I'm curious) to accomplish what exactly? I think that's what the Open Screen Project wishes to do - keep Flash in the hands of everybody by actually working with the vendors to keep the experience the same across the board.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by cddiede View Post
How are you watching Hulu on the PS3? Hulu blocked the PS3 browser's user agent string from watching videos months ago.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Hulu+...x=&startPage=1

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Ok so then when can i play veoh or hulu or any of the other thousands websites that require flash 10. Hmmm?

It's not now, it's "wait for Adobe to make it for our platform"

You and I are pretty much stuck with youtube only with flash9.4.

Lets keep it simple, I can't watch flash movies on 99% of the internet because I don't have flash 10.

Who has the control of that? Adobe

Is their an alternative I can use? No
= monopoly

Definition of monopoly from wikipeda
In economics, a monopoly (from Greek monos / μονος (alone or single) + polein / πωλειν (to sell)) exists when a specific individual or an enterprise has sufficient control over a particular product or service to determine significantly the terms on which other individuals shall have access to it.[1][clarification needed] Monopolies are thus characterized by a lack of economic competition for the good or service that they provide and a lack of viable substitute goods.[2] The verb "monopolize" refers to the process by which a firm gains persistently greater market share than what is expected under perfect competition.

Shall have access to it.
Shall have access to it.
It's a monopoly.

Last edited by aironeous; 2009-12-31 at 00:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Ok so then when can i play veoh or hulu or any of the other thousands websites that require flash 10. Hmmm?
Then people should compete better. Seriously, it got implemented because it was pervasive enough and people could use it instead of Ogg Theora or AJAX hacks to the HTML DOM (think DHTML).

If better, more widespread options were adopted more fully, then competition would exist. Nothing has come forward yet. Blaming Adobe won't make the appearance of competition happen faster. In fact, I'm taking a reverse look at things and honestly I cannot believe that open source hasn't come up with something that could dethrone Flash yet. I mean... seriously. Open this, open that... yet open source hasn't come up with a competitor that hasn't fallen apart as a full initiative yet to Flash? Something's wrong with that picture. I just see it as Adobe (formerly Macromedia, formerly Future Splash) had an idea and basically implemented it well.

I just don't see a monopoly. I see a lack of competition.

It's not now, it's "wait for Adobe to make it for our platform"

You and I are pretty much stuck with youtube only with flash9.4.
Yep, and it sucks. But who do you blame there? Nokia for making their platform enticing enough to continue code for it, or Adobe for not going where they will not get any support from the people that make the OS?

Open Screen Project is a hail mary that might land FP10 on my current level of Maemo and for that to happen, Adobe will invariably do it on their own accord without Nokia's blessing. If Nokia wanted it, they could help out with it... just like the ARM people did. Without the vendor's cooperation, you're screwed or you have to do it on your own...

Lets keep it simple, I can't watch flash movies on 99% of the internet because I don't have flash 10.
I've argued this one plenty myself. The move from FP7/8 to FP9 was a huge step in regards to video and I had to make that jump because of what that jump supported. The move to FP10, I'm not for it because there's no real advantages for me to use it other than "it's there" or that Flash Builder 4, formerly Flex 4, all of a sudden won't produce FP9 and forces me to FP10. Which... annoys the living hell out of me.

I'd personally rather have the ability to stick to FP9 - mainly because there's no real advantage(s) to go to FP10 unless you're doing 3D. FP10.1 adds memory utilization refinements that have me convinced to move in that direction... but my N810 is stuck at FP9. Again, I could say it's Adobe fault all day, but FP10 doesn't work on Windows 3.1, BeOS 4.5 or HP-UX (this is a hyperbole to make a point about dead OS's, treat it as such) either... so should I get mad about that with Adobe... or Microsoft, Be/Palm or Hewlett-Packard?

Who has the control of that? Adobe
Only if Nokia makes it enticing to them. No third party supports a dead OS unless with the newest versions unless there is a need, a want, or above all... a reason.

Is their an alternative I can use? No = monopoly
That's a misdirection, imho. As a Flex/Flash dev, I also have the option of using jQuery, AJAX, JavaScript, et al... but if I use Flash/Flex, there's a reason. And to offer no alternative as a deployed site, I'd call myself lazy. To have no alternative on my platform of choice, I'd call the vendor of the OS lazy - they're not making their OS viable enough to third parties... monetize, or do something to make your past platforms worth something.

Instead, Nokia has done a dump on OS2006, OS2007, OS2008 going towards Maemo 5... which will probably see no updates of the flash player and other portions (third party portions) once Maemo 6 is released.

I blame Nokia. Open platform be damned, it's just not truly enticing unless the want, the need or the demand is there. Between the two of us, we know there's a need, does Adobe? Does Nokia?

I truly doubt it.

As far as the rest of my stance, I'll keep it simple and just state that the term "monopoly" as earlier stated was more of a connotation then denotation. And even in that, the fact that a person actually chose to use FP10 instead of FP9... they screwed over the people that hadn't made the jump up to the latest/greatest or those who could not.

I have a choice to go elsewhere. Or to shout it out to Nokia that they should make the update to FP10 on Maemo 4 easier to people to program for/that want it. Now... will they listen?

That's their decision. And ultimately, we all know that Nokia will not support that endeavor.

I see your point; I just happen to disagree. You blame Adobe, I blame the people that make worse choices - the devs, the companies and ultimately Nokia for not making my platform of choice still something they'd support with something like FP10.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
As an addendum, I'm not fully against what you're saying, aironeous at all; it's refreshing to have a civil discussion where people see things in different ways.

Take care.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ san jose, ca
Hmmm....I still feel that Nokia abandoned me and my n810. I love my N810 and have found to be the most useful product in the last few years. We just came back from vacation and it was with me always. (movies/music on the plane <G>)

But, like others I am starting to find sites that will not work with the version of installed flash.

Kind of frustrating and I too am thinking about Droid...

Just venting.