Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Some more info on BRICS plans:
http://techcrunch.com/2015/05/28/jol...rging-markets/
Bottom's most interesting.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
example of commercial parts? will it be possible rewrite actions when swipe left and right in standard views? and add another view , like your own view ?

also would like to add navigation actions in triple tap

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-05-28 at 13:41.

Posts: 286 | Thanked: 615 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Estonia
So - Sailfish belongs to Sailfish Holding, whose shareholders are Russian oligarch Grigory Berezkin, Jolla OY and some Chinese company. Taking account the Russian very high corruption, bureaucracy and the current political situation there being something similar to Germany in 1930's, then the outcome could be only...

Edit: About Grigory Berezkin "businesses" you can read here.

Edit: On the basis of the above, I can't take Jolla seriously any more... As an interesting coincident - just some days ago I changed the Jolla ringtone at my N900 back to my previous favourite - Bolero

Last edited by acrux; 2015-05-29 at 11:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to acrux For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Well, we may eventually see some investors from South_Asia, Southern_Africa, & Brazil/SA too, it's not all poor people in those regions -despite the stereotypes.
Turkey (among others) also has some affiliation with the BRICS movement; lets not get too heavily into all the unsubstantiated paranoia talk again, please.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
You're right.

I just wonder how long it will take them for this part

What we do is we integrate the payment solution to the operating system and from each transaction, whether it’s ecommerce or media purchase or any other purchase we will have a small revenue share from the business. [...][EDIT, forgot next sentence:] “That’s the main revenue source for Sailfish OS.” [/EDIT]
when they haven't menaged to make support for paid apps in the last 1,5 years...

Last edited by Casanunda; 2015-05-28 at 15:33.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Casanunda For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Missed this bit...
That’s the main revenue source for Sailfish OS.
If they can pull this off, they lessen the importance of getting revenue from licensing semi-closed sw, & should be able to abandon that model completely -eventually.

We have a timeline to open source basically all of the non-commercial parts, some of them are third party parts which we can’t open source of course. But we have a timeline to open source most of the platform — because it helps us to work with the developer community and also our partners. But we are not yet releasing the timeline. We will come out very soon with an announcement about the scale of this open sourcing schedule.
N.B
I'm not claiming this new approach is the panacea, I can already foresee some potential pitfalls, before & after it gets off the ground, but ofc, we're not privy to all of the details yet.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-05-28 at 15:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Missed this bit...
Right, thanks for noting. Added in my last post

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
More news about BRICS and Russia cooperation
http://kommersant.ru/doc/2888094

http://d-russia.ru/minkomsvyaz-rassc...-sailfish.html

They are writen in Russian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
More news about BRICS and Russia cooperation
http://kommersant.ru/doc/2888094

http://d-russia.ru/minkomsvyaz-rassc...-sailfish.html

They are writen in Russian.
This was interesting enough to put in english
(I learned Russian a very long time ago
but I also forgot all but a couple of words a very long time ago)

courtesy of Google Translate:

Translate
Minkomsvyaz' rasschityvayet na rost populyarnosti OS Sailfish

Vika Ryabova 30.12.15
Minkomsvyaz' rasschityvayet na rost populyarnosti OS Sailfish

Ministerstvo svyazi i massovykh kommunikatsiy RF rasschityvayet na rost populyarnosti na rossiyskom rynke mobil'nykh ustroystv na baze operatsionnoy sistemy Sailfish v 2016 godu, zayavil glava vedomstva Nikolay Nikiforov, soobshchayet Interfaks.

«Na samom dele telefony uzhe yest'. Rasschityvayem, chto v 2016 godu my uvidim gorazdo boleye massovoye ispol'zovaniye etoy operatsionnoy sistemy zdes', v Rossii, i v samykh raznykh proyektakh ona budet figurirovat'», — skazal Nikiforov zhurnalistam vo vtornik v Simferopole.

Po yego slovam, Rossiya dogovorilas' so stranami BRIKS ob"yedinit' usiliya dlya razrabotki OS Sailfish v otvet na total'noye dominirovaniye amerikanskikh programmnykh produktov, kogda tri operatsionnyye sistemy (Windows ot Microsoft, Android ot Google i iOS ot Apple), po suti, polnost'yu kontroliruyut bol'shuyu chast' mirovogo IT-rynka.

«BRIKS — eto polovina naseleniya Zemli, sootvetstvenno, polovina potentsial'nykh pol'zovateley smartfonov i planshetov. Osnovnym kandidatom na takoy proyekt yavlyayetsya segodnya nezavisimaya operatsionnaya sistema Sailfish. Yeye iznachal'no nachali delat' finskiye razrabotchiki, vykhodtsy iz Nokia, segodnya eta kompaniya zaregistrirovana v Gonkonge, tam yest' bol'shaya dolya rossiyskikh investorov, kitayskikh investorov, v kakom-to smysle eto mezhdunarodnyy proyekt, s aktivnym uchastiyem Rossii, v tom chisle rossiyskikh programmistov», — skazal Nikiforov.

Razrabotchikom mobil'noy operatsionnoy sistemy Sailfish yavlyayetsya kompaniya Jolla. V nachale tekushchego goda byla sozdana kholdingovaya kompaniya Jolla Ltd. v Gonkonge. V kapitale kompanii yest' rossiyskiye (v chastnosti, rossiyskiy predprinimatel' Grigoriy Berozkin) i kitayskiye investory.

Napomnim, Jolla v iyune pobedila v konkurse Minkomsvyazi Rossii na importozameshcheniye operatsionnykh sistem dlya mobil'nykh ustroystv.

Spravka

Jolla sozdana byvshimi sotrudnikami Nokia, uchastvovavshimi v razrabotke MeeGo, operatsionnoy sistemy na baze Linux, i yavlyayetsya razvitiyem MeeGo. V 2013 godu poyavilsya pervyy smartfon s OS Sailfish, v 2014 godu — planshet. Proyekt MeeGo podderzhivala Intel, on doshol do stadii rabotosposobnoy sistemy, s kotoroy vypuskalis' netbuki i smartfony.

Jolla sotrudnichayet s «Yandeksom» — ustanavlivayet na smartfony s OS Sailfish magazin prilozheniy «Yandeks.Store».

Chitat' takzhe: «Predsedatel' Jolla zayavil, chto kompaniya vyshla iz finansovogo krizisa»>>
Print Friendly
Ministry of Communications is counting on the growing popularity of the operating system Sailfish

Vic Ryabov 12/30/15
Ministry of Communications is counting on the growing popularity of the operating system Sailfish

The Ministry of Communications and Mass Communications of the Russian Federation counts on the growing popularity in the Russian market of mobile devices based on the operating system Sailfish in 2016, said the head of department, Nikolai Nikiforov, Interfax reported.

"In fact, already have phones. We expect that in 2016 we will see a much more massive use of the operating system here in Russia, and in a variety of projects, it will appear ", - said Nikiforov reporters Tuesday in Simferopol.

According to him, Russia has agreed with the BRICS countries to work together to develop the operating system Sailfish in response to the total dominance of US software, when the three operating systems (Windows from Microsoft, Android from Google and iOS from Apple), in fact, in full control of most of the world IT-market.

"BRICS - half the world's population, respectively, half of the potential users of smartphones and tablets. The main candidate for such a project is today an independent operating system Sailfish. It originally started making the Finnish developers come from Nokia, today the company is registered in Hong Kong, there is a large proportion of Russian investors, Chinese investors, in a sense, it is an international project with the active participation of Russia, including the Russian programmers "- Nikiforov said.

The developer of the mobile operating system Sailfish is the company Jolla. Earlier this year, the holding company was set up Jolla Ltd. in Hong Kong. The company has a capital of Russia (in particular, the Russian businessman Gregory Berezkin) and Chinese investors.

Recall, Jolla in June won the competition the Ministry of Communications of Russia on the import substitution of operating systems for mobile devices.

reference

Jolla created by former employees of Nokia, participated in the development of MeeGo, the operating system based on Linux, and is the development of MeeGo. In 2013 came the first smartphone with OS Sailfish, in 2014 - the tablet. The MeeGo project supported by Intel, it got to the stage of a workable system, which issued netbooks and smartphones.

Jolla is working with "by Yandex" - installed on smartphones running Sailfish application store "Yandeks.Store."

Read also: "Chairman Jolla said the company emerged from the financial crisis" >>
Print Friendly
Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder
Turn off instant translationAbout Google TranslateMobileCommunityPrivacy & TermsHelpSend feedback
This is almost pure puff-piece:
According to him,
Russia has agreed with the BRICS countries to work together to develop the operating system Sailfish
It is hardly credible that Russia has agreed with anyone to do anything with a piece of software.
It is far more credible to imagine that there exist certain Russian oligarchs
who may quickly do things to hinder such things as Apple or Android or Lumia in favor of some home-grown solutions
(see also North Korea 'Red Star' version of linux)

disclaimer - I have no love for Apple/Android/ Lumia either,
so just get on with it - who knows, we may yet be able to bend such a thing back into usability

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2015-12-31 at 03:47. Reason: disclaimer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Hey ...
If the "geniuses" of the "Greats"... kim jong, the beebs, and miley ...
can all have their own os's...
then I reeeeeeeaaaalllyyy think a rutabaga on life support has a chance....
so yeah...
No reason..
at all...
things can't work out for sailfish.

Hope those with the reins are listening...
if sailfish can't make it and those 3 can...
then that is reeeeaallly sad...
(and not "boohoo" sad...more akin to "embarassing" sad...)
esp. considering sailfish is by far more interesting than those 3...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2015-12-31 at 05:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post: