Active Topics

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
The overall speed and responsiveness while multitasking is pretty incredible, in the true sense of the word: I didn't believe it until I had my own N900. Also, the "slide the lens cover to start the camera app is a slick touch that lets you go from "locked" to "took a picture" really quickly. I'm also really digging the video player. It's been handling downloaded videos really nicely. I'm not throwing really insane resolutions or crazy codecs at it, but the whole thing where I plug it into my desktop with USB and copy things over, then play them feels remarkably civilized. The keyboard took some getting used to, but it's a definite improvement from tne N810. I'd also like to reiterate how nice the IM/SMS integration is. It just works! And one more "+" vote for the browser. Google reader has been a real pleasure to use ( http://google.com/reader/i ). Oh, and the last thing: The FM transmitter works pretty darn well. I've been using it in my car for ~30 minutes x 2 every day during my commute. The biggest problem has been finding a frequency here (Seattle area) that's actually unoccupied. Overall: Thanks Nokia, this has been a pretty fantastic birthday present.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 31 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
I like the look and feel of the hardware as well as the user interface.

The user interface is *amazing*. Some people with real design skills spent a lot of time on it.

I like the kinetic scrolling, the animations. The various features. The browser is nice. The email client is quite nice (the first usable mobile email client I've ever seen).

Sadly, the list of bugs and problems will be as long as this one.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgedmin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ France
I like the fact we have a standardised UI across the whole platform.

There was nothing worse on previous versions than having basically each app implementing its own UI standards. Having the same menus, the same content disposition makes it easier for users to pre-empt and understand where the options are, and how they can achieve or look for things. This, in my opinion, is the greatest advancement in the platform.

I also like the integration in the UI itself of all the communication services (Flickr, IM clients, Skype). It gives a very rugged and completeness feel to the platform as a whole.

Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
it's open. There no apple or oranges behind it. it's mine (well sort of, it's a loan :P)

I hate that sometimes it slows down with no apparent reason (the UI).
It's usually responsive, but sometimes you miss the apple and oranges behind it.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Western Europe
I love the way it tells me to unplug the adapter after charging to save energy. Such a nice touch

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joenix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,743 | Thanked: 1,231 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Twickenham, UK
Originally Posted by joenix View Post
I love the way it tells me to unplug the adapter after charging to save energy. Such a nice touch
It was also on the N810.
Funny that if you were charging it when off, it would keep the screen LIT just to tell you that!

:O

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
[OT]That message should be changed to 'try to find another power source as soon as possible !'[/OT]

Posts: 64 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Cambridge/London
Originally Posted by anidel View Post
It was also on the N810.
Funny that if you were charging it when off, it would keep the screen LIT just to tell you that!

:O
There is an option to leave the screen lit when charging under display settings on the n900...but only the amber charging light remains on on the n900 when the device is off and charging.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I've stayed out of this thread because I just couldn't narrow down my favorite aspects. It's really just such an amazing overall package and doesn't feel underpowered. It doesn't feel limiting. If I need or want to do something - almost anything - I can do it.

Jaffa reminded me on IRC that I needed to upload a screenshot for my wallpapers package. I was on the bus home and did it all without a problem.

Really... there's so many use stories I can tell you that just weren't possible before or on other devices. Maybe it's time to document them.

can the thread title be chaged to "we've got one - you haven't"?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flareup For This Useful Post: