Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
No idea on this as I've never used it; someone else can comment...

Txt files are auto-detected in the "Documents" app; clicking from there they open instantly too

thx, didn't know that

Did you install it correctly?

I installed it via MeeCatalog.

Again did you install them correctly? N9QTweak has them too; maybe you should use N9QTweak to automate such things...

Again via MeeCatalog.

Theme Changer or Theme Settings have never required Aegis to be unloaded; what are you really trying to do and maybe you are following incorrect instructions?

I managed to install it after unloading Aegis, I guess, I made a mistake somewhere, but I don't know where, as I followed the maemo wiki for installing inception, and afterwards I installed aegis-ctl via another program, I think it was N9QTweak (can't verify, cause I've made a hard reset in the meantime).

Stock Browser on the N9 is the only one that covers almost all bases in terms of performance & usability... Snowshoe is kinda dead so don't keep high hopes for it... Again installation issue that it didn't open?

I installed snowshoe after the howto I found linked somewhere in some thread on TMO, dunno which. Maybe I should have rebooted more often

If you ever have issues with an app or tweak you can post on that thread and maybe get it corrected as the above mostly seem installation issues

Thx for this.

LOL, maybe it's too late to quote replies ;-)

Last edited by geekgirl74; 2013-01-12 at 20:22.

You are not alone geekgirl, there are a few of us that are not all that enthralled with the n9 experience either, I still carry the n900 around with at times.

Like thedead1440 says, the browser is the "better all-rounder" of the bunch, or as others would say... "Jack of all trades, master of none".

Great work on your chroot there though

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
Ok, sorry to say, but the N9 doesnt want to be my friend
Most of the programs I was waiting to finally install on it, didnt run or even install
And then I came to the bitter conclusion, that most of the running apps IMHO can't compete with what I have been used to on Android. Again, this is my opinion and I don't intend to hurt anyones feelings.

But: I've tried and fiddled the whole day to get an N900 chroot onto my S3 and I finally managed the first step Long live the N900 experience
How did you do that?

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 70 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ India
It seems like you are trying many thing at once and it will be advisable that you should try thing one by one. You will get along with N9 as your friend in some time.

Try N9 Qtweak http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80600
as it have many tweaks at one place

Then start fiddling your N9 a bit more and you will be home.

Cheers

The Following User Says Thank You to kumary For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
geekgirl74,

Don't install things that require inception via MeeCatalog... Since you are in open mode, you don't even need inception to install those toggles or power-menu.

For the former, use N9QTweak with the open mode option for Tweak T while for the latter the thread has open mode instructions too which are much easier

N9QTweak has a comprehensive PDF/Wiki (latter should be updated today due to migration) for your reference so do some reading and you are good to go.

If you get a new N900 try out CSSU-Thumb; it speeds up things drastically

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
How did you do that?
do you mean the chroot?

That was a bit of work. First I had to get an N900 image, wasn't that easy, as I have sold my N900. But I found one somewhere in the web

Then I followed this tutorial (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=14) up to the point, where it gets Meego specific. When trying to loopmount the rootfs.img I learned, that my stockbased ROM with Perseus kernel didn't have the loop module. As I depend on either Perseus kernel or CM 10.1 for the "Sudden Death Syndrome fix", I decided to go for Cyanogenmod 10.1 and installed that. Fired up my preferred terminal emulator (Better Terminal Emulator) and used that. Funny enough, the BTEP terminal brings its own mount command, compiled with the possibility to loop mount. The native CM 10.1 mount command doesn't...

Next step is, I'll try to teach it simple things like resolv.conf and an environment

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by geekgirl74 View Post
do you mean the chroot?

That was a bit of work. First I had to get an N900 image, wasn't that easy, as I have sold my N900. But I found one somewhere in the web
Sorry about the N9. I have never seen/touched one, so I can't comment on that.

But having a Maemo5 chroot in a non-Nokia-N9* device sounds kinda interesting. Who knows, maybe if a decent Android handset with a decent hardware keyboard shows up, it could be the worthy successor of the N900.

So please do keep us posted on your chroot'ing progress!

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@geekgirl74 - no longer having your n900 is unfortunate, but I'd recommend you to consider buying a second hand one (should cost you something in the range 100-150 eur). Once you have it, put CSSU-thumb on it, move swap on SD card, tweak a bit VM settings and you'll top your S3 in terms of speed. I know what I talk about, I compared phone/contacts/conversations applications startup times between my device and S3(stock android), n900 is slightly faster.

microb is still the best mobile browser around, and you can have opera12 if you wish.

Are you aware there is "official" flash 10 for fremantle? yes, there is .

I am not trying to convince you that n900 is the next best thing after the sliced bread (you already know that ), but you won't believe what progress n900 SW/OS have made for the last 1.5 year. And it is still supported by the community, for example CSSU was the next after google and M$ (even before firefox) to blacklist those fraudulent TURKTRUST intermediate certificates. New functionality comes with every update, most of the applications are still supported, etc.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Sorry about the N9. I have never seen/touched one, so I can't comment on that.

But having a Maemo5 chroot in a non-Nokia-N9* device sounds kinda interesting. Who knows, maybe if a decent Android handset with a decent hardware keyboard shows up, it could be the worthy successor of the N900.

So please do keep us posted on your chroot'ing progress!
My hopes are not to high to have a running hildon desktop environment on Android, but I thought about running certain programs. The problem is that currently I cannot even seem to get any gui program to run either via ssh or vnc

Edit: I just found, that I forgot to add some repos... maybe I find some vnc like program then ;-)

Edit 2: does anybody know a vnc server which runs on non-cssu fremantle?

Last edited by geekgirl74; 2013-01-13 at 11:32.

I don't get any further then starting ossofilemanager and displaying it via vnc. All other programs depend on a running dbus-session. This is, where my knowledge ends, cause ps -aux shows the (Android) dbus, which is running outside the chroot...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: