Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Nokia missed the boat and got stranded on Symbian with nobody seemingly realising that Meego was there as an outstanding lifeboat. Much as I loved it the N9 was too late and could never win the app war that seams to prevail in the press (One which Windows Phone is still struggling with).
A great shame, however the 808 camera live on, in a form, in the Lumia 1020. I have one and the build quality is up there with the N9 and I even like the latest version WP8.1
Even Jolla realised that they had to offer Android support to get the app count up and be considered as a credible smart phone.

Nokia should have moved onto a new platform after the N95 IMHO, Symbian never felt right on a touch screen, they traded on customer loyalty just that bit too long.

Originally Posted by optimaxxx View Post
http://geekongadgets.com/2014/09/10/...osoft-windows/

It's so sad to think that Nokia, the veritable grandfather of mobiles will be simply no more. A part of me is hoping Microsoft does things in a way which allows Nokia to be reborn independently someday, but Microsoft isn't sloppy like that.

Just makes you wonder how different the market would be if Eflop hadn't sent the burning platform memo, if Nokia had kept to their plan, and Microsoft wasn't.. well, Microsoft.

Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted!

The opposite. Nokia is finally out of all this **** (cutting back for years, Windows Phone, Microsoft free of it all) and back to engineering house with hefty profits and a big bank, with no worries in the world at the moment and still remain relatively largish company with 35 000 working on the new Nokia.

This has been discussed hundreds of times here, so I wont bother to go too deeply, but Microsoft can't say what Nokia can manufacturer and what it can't. Nokia is a openly traded company. Only thing they are hindered is that they can't use Nokia brand on "mobile devices" before 2016.
Granted I do think it's irrelevant as I don't think Nokia will return to making phones ever. Consumer devices, that are mobile? That I see almost likely. It does seem like Nokia is making HERE as a consumer brand, with the reshuffling going on there.

Though I suspect whatever consumer side stuff it will be, it wont be something to get excited by typical talk maemo forum member. I doubt they want to be anywhere near anything related to maemo, meego etc.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
and a front panel of a phone also leaked showing new Microsoft branding on its front.

http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoftbra...-news-9618.php

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Consumer devices, that are mobile? That I see almost likely. It does seem like Nokia is making HERE as a consumer brand, with the reshuffling going on there.
Wasn't it the opposite? The previous man in charge wanted to head more into consumer and Nokia's current CEO not?

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Wasn't it the opposite? The previous man in charge wanted to head more into consumer and Nokia's current CEO not?
You are actually right. I had it other way around in my head.
Of course it's all rumors and it could just as well be that the old HERE boss wasn't up for whatever there's next for the HERE brand. But yes, you are right.

I do still have hard time believing Nokia's patent portfolio would not be used more extensively than just licensing. We don't know example what happened behind the curtains with China approving MS Nokia buy after it holding approval for a while. Will Nokia be allowed to use its patent portfolio, like Qualcomm was in Nokia's heydays? Will Nokia research get the best returns as a licensing factory? Would guy like Skillman want to be doing something else than just part of the current HERE brand?

Granted, who knows. Couldn't fault them for settling what they got now, as they seem to be doing just fine finally. If they decide to go purely licensing route, rather than lowering their unit costs using their patent portfolio to cross license, they got their patent portfolio still not used to full potential when it comes licensing.

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ Northern WI, USA
Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
If what we heard about Nokia only selling devices division to Microsoft was correct, why is Nokia.com (US version. I am not sure about other regional sites) redirected to Microsoft's owned page?

It looks like, Microsoft did purchase the Nokia brand for ever. So anyone waiting for Nokia to reborn, it is not going to happen.

Nokia has been killed by Microsoft.
Please do look at the article P@t linked to

Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Nokia disagrees
https://blogs.nsn.com/mobile-network...ry-much-alive/
Nokia.com still directs to the mobile phone page because Nokia is still recognized as a phone brand. Visit www.company.nokia.com for their current website. I think I read Microsoft will manage the Nokia.com domain for a year after the acquisition.

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Unfortunately this article is in Finnish, but it shed some absolutely terrifying info about the Microsoft decision by Nokia.

http://www.itviikko.fi/talous/2014/10/07/nain-microsoft-veti-maton-nokian-alta/201413821/7

It truly terrifies to think, that such a big company can be run by idiots who didn't see these point before hand about Microsoft and Windows Phone OS. All these points were crystal clear to every user of that shitload that is called Microsoft Phone and Windows for Phones.

Well, even if this stuff makes me so ANGRY, I guess as a Finn I just have to torture my self and read this book.

Quotes from the book:

"Yhden kirjassa esitetyn arvion mukaan Windows Phone 7 oli jopa vuoden Nokian kehittämää Meego-käyttöjärjestelmää jäljessä."

in English

"According to a estimate given in the book, Windows Phone 7 was even one year behind Nokias inhouse Meego-operating system"

"Meegolle oli kehitetty esimerkiksi täyttä fyysistä näppäimistöä käyttävä laite, mutta Windows Phonelle tällaista laitetta ei pysty toteuttamaan vieläkään"

in English

"For Meego they had developed full physical keyboard support, but Windows Phone can't manage that even today"

A direct quote from an interview (of engineer?) in the book: "-- We started to wonder [after they had received indepth info of the Windows Phone OS] whether anyone had actually studied Windows phone hands-on. And we came to conclude that no one had"

What in the gods name???!?!?!

Also there is a mention that the only after they had already announced the co-operation the Top Level management found out that Windows OS could not be used in the cheap phones. Before hand they had understood that it could be used on approximetely 100€ level phones.

This article just ruined my day... There are also other unbelievable stuff there. Thanks again Elop for being such a *****.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Boxeri For This Useful Post:
Silly question: I am one of those old OVI users, my main mail is now on Yahoo, but it SSO with nokia.com (through nokiamail.com).
Does anybody know what is going to happen here? Will I be borged in M$ anytime soon?
Thanks.

The Following User Says Thank You to magullo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post

This article just ruined my day... There are also other unbelievable stuff there. Thanks again Elop for being such a *****.
Even if it’s clear that Nokia has made big mistakes by the past, it’s also clear for me that Elop is a disgusting amoeba.

If I were Finn, there is some probability that I would be in jail, for murder.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=392

PS: don't read this book, you will not learn anything constructive that you do not already know.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post: