Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
You don't normally get a public IP when on 2G/3G, in which case you won't be able to connect from a device outside of that network.
It depends on your mobile carrier I think. I get public IP on gprs (2/3G) and I can log into my desktop via SSH from my N9 on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
OK. At least in my case I get a 10.*.*.* address from my provider. Of course this lets me connect to Internet, or to my laptop via SSH (otherwise it wouldn't be an "internet" connection).

The problem is when you want to make a connection TO your N900/N9 from the OUTSIDE. The public IP that I get is (probably) shared by other devices on the same network (NAT).

Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
It depends on your mobile carrier I think. I get public IP on gprs (2/3G) and I can log into my desktop via SSH from my N9 on it.
This is curious... So far I haven't been able to connect to SSH through 3g data connections either. However WebDAV-server in QAD file manager I was able to connect to.

I use the same sim card that, until it got chopped to fit N9, worked lately with N900. I am able connect to SSH with wifi, though.

3g data seems to yield good speed and throughput (10 Mbps), so it doesn't seem to be plain badly working data connection.

Until your comment I just though that gprs0 interface was blocked in iptables (don't know how to check that) while wlan0 was not.

EDIT: With not getting connection through 3g I meant timeout, not restriction to log in (as is configured in /etc/sshd_config).

Last edited by Manatus; 2011-10-28 at 11:09.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
It worked for me too the first few days, but after i changed to key based authentication, i suddenly cannot connect via 3G connection anymore.

Wondering if i mistakenly did something else too.. could someone post the default sshd config from N9?

Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
This is curious... So far I haven't been able to connect to SSH through 3g data connections either.

[ ... ]

Until your comment I just though that gprs0 interface was blocked in iptables (don't know how to check that) while wlan0 was not.
For your iptables rules on your N9, forget it. You don't have permission to run iptables at all (not even as root). Thank you very much, aegis mumbo-jumbo nonsence. :-(

On your PC it'd be an incoming packet and you can't filter on interface for incoming. At least I don't think you can.

Code:
iptables -S
Is the command you're looking for, BTW. Just grep its output for what you are looking for, even if you're not going to find it in this case. :-)

EDIT: With not getting connection through 3g I meant timeout, not restriction to log in (as is configured in /etc/sshd_config).
Hmm, doesn't that suggest that the problem you have is simply slow/flakey connection? Or have you mucked about in your sshd conf?

Originally Posted by mooglez View Post
It worked for me too the first few days, but after i changed to key based authentication, i suddenly cannot connect via 3G connection anymore.

Wondering if i mistakenly did something else too.. could someone post the default sshd config from N9?
Here's mine. I'm fairly sure I haven't modified it, but in any case it works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Files
File Type: txt sshd_config.txt (1.9 KB, 416 views)

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 150 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Finland
Here's mine. I'm fairly sure I haven't modified it, but in any case it works.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for the file.

After replacing mine with yours, and rebooting the phone, the problem still persists.. I'm not able to connect over the 3G public IP address.

I should probably stick my SIM card back into N900 for a moment when I get back home, and verify that the problem is not caused by it.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hungary
terminal:
devel-su
passwd -u developer

Then you can connect with "developer" user, and then use devel-su for root over ssh

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Amsterdam
Please note that the internal password security of the N9 like the N900 is very very weak !

Passwords are stored in /etc/passwd with a very simple "Traditional DES" encryption which makes cracking password from the N9 a matter of minutes to hours.

So please don't use passwords but use ssh keys like described earlier in this thread and then change your /etc/ssh/sshd_config to read:

Code:
PasswordAuthentication no
Even if the password storage was not so weak I would still recommend this, since your likely to connect to many foreign networks.

Uh, guys, if you're on 3G you're almost certainly under a NAT. You simply cannot reliably ssh (or connect in any other way without a proxy or some trick) to your phone or any other device if you're on 3G. If you can you're probably lucky enough to be currently assigned exclusively to a public IP. Don't expect that to be reliably repeatable. That's what services like dyndns are for.