Internet Tablet Talk member mafranklin has reported that he has received his Nokia N810 Internet Tablet WiMAX Edition, and has confirmed that it is connecting to XOHM WiMAX which is surprisingly active already in Chicago. According to him:The Nokia N810 WiMax did arrive today following shipment from Nokia yesterday. Once powered up it automatically detected the XOHM nextwork here in Chicago. My registration for XOHM services failed with my Chicago zip code so I registered with a friends zip code in Baltimore (went in later and changed my billing address), selected the device, service plan and connected to the XOHM network.XOHMÂ* is currently offering their WiMAX On-the-Go plan for $30/month for six months(for limited time) and $45/month thereafter. mafranklin ordered his Nokia N810 Internet Tablet WiMAX EditionÂ* directly from the Nokia USA Store for $443 after a $50 automatic promo discount. Buy.com also has the tablet for $404.99 but is currently out of stock.
Read the full article.

So, does the fact that no-one has posted anything yet in this thread more than two days after it was announced say anything at all about the need of a WiMAX tablet?

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ District of Columbia
Well I am excited! I don't know about everyone else. I ordered mine yesterday (paid $25 for overnight) and it still isn't here. I won't even go into the convo I had w/ 3 reps in 2 hours over the phone.

Oh well, I guess I have to wait until Monday to really be happy.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by maba View Post
So, does the fact that no-one has posted anything yet in this thread more than two days after it was announced say anything at all about the need of a WiMAX tablet?
* People pre-ordered.
* People who never got in touch with Maemo will order this.
* Not everyone is from USA or living in a covered area.
* N900 details have been announced.

I already own a N810, and I know the GPS is crap. I do like the color of the N810WME, and if there was WiMAX coverage here I would have bought it for a subscription of ~30 USD a month.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by maba View Post
I would say it says more about the perception of what this will do versus "need" per se.
Many users myself included have never seen WiMax in action. I have asked the few users who are in possession of a device for comments about it. Most of us have seen 3G and what its capable of on smartphones and tethering to our tablets so we have a better frame of reference when HSPA in Maemo 5 is referenced.

Personally, I think that with a more robust network rollout a Wimax equipped tablet could give regular cellular networks a good run for their money. I believe you can do SMS over IP and of course we know about free ways of using VOIP. So the fact that you can get mobile talk/text/web and home talk/text/web for $50 flat rate is astounding and warrants more attention.

Well, I see the potential of WiMAX, I was just a bit surprized that no-one had posted anything about it yet.

And maybe the reason for my sceptisicm has something to do with me living in Sweden, where WiMAX is pretty much unheard of...

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
I'm having a hard time swallowing the need for WiMax when I have HSDPA coverage in more areas with my phone on ATT. I pay a fee for internet at my house and another fee for unlimited internet on my phone. Do I really need to pay another $50 a month for another internet connection? The people that are interested and using this; does this replace your home internet connection? Or can you really justify the extra expense a month for this access?

Just curious...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Gorgon View Post
The people that are interested and using this; does this replace your home internet connection?
Were WiMAX available where I live, I'd seriously consider signing up. For slightly less than what I pay per month for cable modem service now, I could have both home and mobile WiMAX.

The production of a Wimax Edition of the Nokia N810, was canceled on January 2009.
Source: http://arstechnica.com/journals/hard...ulled-by-nokia

Are there any N810W threads left that don't have this (old) news item posted in them?