Active Topics

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
I've not had much call to dig into it as I'm not fussed about meego right now. I just assumed that as the underlying OSes were so different that you'd be effectively building a look-and-fell-alike rather than a port. My bad.
Maybe the second part of this http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...74&postcount=9 answer explains reasoning behind Cordia a bit better.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
So maemo has following problems:
  • limited number of developers for obsolete devices (770, N800, N810, N900) thanks to developer devices.
  • no active device (well that actually depends on the fate of N9, but it seems Nokia does not want to associate it with maemo.org),
  • uncertain future for infrastructure after one year,
  • orphaned by Nokia.
  • closed sourced binaries for drivers and other stuff, which effectively prevent creation of modern alternative for obsoleted devices. (this actually my main rant for some time)
What next:
  1. Find new sponsors?
  2. Find new devices?
  3. Merge with meego?
  4. Merge with ubuntu/debian/angstrom/gentoo (difficult thanks to binary blobs)?
  5. Simply die in one year?
At the moment angstrom has far lesser community, but unlike maemo, it's still active.

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-08-04 at 12:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
This is all wrong and i can prove it for sure if people stop branding me a TROLL.

First and formost the council of this community with all dues respect need to START listening to its members and IF it ever has to report anything in quiestion.

It repeatedly fails to do this !.

This community has not really achieved the goal of what it should be all about The Progession of Maemo.

I personally do not see any movement at all that will or could happen now or in the future with LF, there are things wrong and the council need to address the problems and NOT go quiet which is the case.

Your all at the wrong gate and addressing the wrong problems IF it is indeed to progress Maemo.

PLEASE start listening to your members.... PLEASE !!!!.

Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
So maemo has following problems:
  • limited number of developers for obsolete devices (770, N800, N810, N900) thanks to developer devices.
  • no active device (well that actually depends on the fate of N9, but it seems Nokia does not want to associate it with maemo.org),
  • uncertain future for infrastructure after one year,
  • orphaned by Nokia.
  • closed sourced binaries for drivers and other stuff, which effectively prevent creation of modern alternative for obsoleted devices. (this actually my main rant for some time)
What next:
  1. Find new sponsors?
  2. Find new devices?
  3. Merge with meego?
  4. Merge with ubuntu/debian/angstrom/gentoo (difficult thanks to binary blobs)?
  5. Simply die in one year?
At the moment angstrom has far lesser community, but unlike maemo, it's still active.
Your getting very close and i agree with what you have just said BUT this community has got to start being active in the right area's instead of sinking in litigation and legalities.

SD69 you think i am talking in the wrong subject of your opening post but what i am in fact telling you and everyone is your all wrong and have been from day one !.

This community is sinking simply because it has not done what it should have done to progress Maemo.

It is going to take some explaining because no one seeems to want to see the light.

I am appalled at this community sometimes and frustration is not the word i tell you.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I am appalled at this community sometimes and frustration is not the word i tell you.
abill,

with all due respect, i think you are missing a couple important points

1st, as Daneel pointed out, the council hasn't any power; they can ask, they may suggest. that's about it.
in a way you are right in saying that the community has been sitting on its @$$ and was simply coding along. they got and they still get a new device every now & then, sometimes w/ hw keyboard, sometimes without. nothing new under the sun, sorry
is it time for a change? see

2nd, which nobody seems to want to realise; NOKIA has stopped developing pure Maemo devices, true. have they completely abandoned Maemo? i don't think so. we can still download firmwares & install all the software we want from repositories or even OVI.
& if they are willing to fund formeego.org/com, this seems to indicate that they are still behind the community.
sure, you can blame them for having split the development community, but, honestly, what is the difference between OS2008 vs. OS2010 and fremantle vs. harmattan?
developers who started to be busy w/ OS2009 weren't busy w/ OS2008 any more, were they?
and even now, installing packages from extra-dev or testing. means you can't run certain apps from extra any more.

yes, the community has been careless. who isn't?
repeating it over & over again isn't bringing anything new, is it?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
I don't think anyone here still thinks Nokia is developing Maemo devices.
I will go so far to say that I am pretty sure everyone is firmly aware of the commercial death of Maemo, hence community led projects to FIX whats left of it and make it more usable - CSSU.

Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
I don't think anyone here still thinks Nokia is developing Maemo devices.
I will go so far to say that I am pretty sure everyone is firmly aware of the commercial death of Maemo, hence community led projects to FIX whats left of it and make it more usable - CSSU.
that's where i can completely sympathize w/ abill get nuts about this community

sorry to spill the beans, but...
Maemo never was a commercially viable project. it has been kept alive by NOKIA since day one.
a year and a 1/2 ago, the support got less active, that's all.
are they still paying the bills YES or NO?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
abill,

with all due respect, i think you are missing a couple important points

1st, as Daneel pointed out, the council hasn't any power; they can ask, they may suggest. that's about it.
in a way you are right in saying that the community has been sitting on its @$$ and was simply coding along. they got and they still get a new device every now & then, sometimes w/ hw keyboard, sometimes without. nothing new under the sun, sorry
is it time for a change? see

2nd, which nobody seems to want to realise; NOKIA has stopped developing pure Maemo devices, true. have they completely abandoned Maemo? i don't think so. we can still download firmwares & install all the software we want from repositories or even OVI.
& if they are willing to fund formeego.org/com, this seems to indicate that they are still behind the community.
sure, you can blame them for having split the development community, but, honestly, what is the difference between OS2008 vs. OS2010 and fremantle vs. harmattan?
developers who started to be busy w/ OS2009 weren't busy w/ OS2008 any more, were they?
and even now, installing packages from extra-dev or testing. means you can't run certain apps from extra any more.

yes, the community has been careless. who isn't?
repeating it over & over again isn't bringing anything new, is it?
Ok i will answer you one by one,

1, A council should be there to represent and help the organisation they are council of and even to this day they are very silent and i am not suprised because in my opion it is made up of the wrong kind of people, by that i mean they do not communicate with us as members and when they do it is there way or no way.
Many experianced people are members of this community , what is left of them of course !, and i feel strongly that the council should be replaced with some people with attitude rather than what we have right now.

2, I am not really interested in the legalities or troubles of LF simply because i am not an avid supporter of them, i do not run linux as an os anyhow because of it's limitations, never have done never will do.
What i AM interested in is a road to progression of Maemo and that is where this community should be at, who the hell is interested in LF if they do not achieve even a fraction of what members of this community really want ?.
Am not interested in the sob story of LF, i just see it as time wasting on a community that has not really benefited from them at all.

This is Maemo.org and the sole purpose of it's exsistance was to make Maemo the os a much better place to thrive in the N900.

It is now at the point of closing down on Maemo and reverting to MeeGo and for what? for the very same thing to happen yet again !, have people never learned anything from the Nokia experiance?.

What has to happen is not a decision one person can make but hell at least try before it finally sinks, time is our enemy right now and i feel enough time has already been wasted, the reason i am trying to wake everyone up in the area's of importance to Maemo.org.

MeeGo was supposed to have been advanced as an os for the N900 and quite frankly dont hold your breath waiting for that to happen !!!.

We really do need to get a grip and realise what has happened within this community because where i stand it is no further forward that day one in many respects.

Many of the talent has left and will continue to do so unless something can be done to keep what is here and possible attract some and more back.

THIS THREAD will no way do that as it is so off track to the REAL problems it is unreal.

All i want to see is progression of an os that has been totally dumped and looks like being dumped by this community now because of lack of the right kind of people within it.

I can be sarcastic and deliberatly off topic and have done so on this thread but i am doing so in an attempt to stop a closure of Maemo from Maemo.org.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-08-04 at 14:28.

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down