Active Topics

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
LTE support is way down the list for me. It's only just being rolled out now in much of Europe. I'd have to travel about 30 miles to get a 4g signal and that's only because I happen to live near one of the three cities 4g is being rolled out in. I'm not expecting it at home until well into 2015.

I'm not sure why you'd want it. The 3g I get on my Jolla now is faster than my landline broadband.
Not to mention that with current data caps one can't reasonable use even the current perfectly fine 3G or even GPRS/EDGE networks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Data cap? Thankfully my tariff isn't that stone age! Unlimited data here for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Just to let you all know when I asked about the Sailfish launcher for Android I got a large amount of negative comments on xda forums and negative Karma on together.jolla.
So do not ask when the launcher will come out or any details because you will become public enemy #1 and I have no idea why.

Last edited by aironeous; 2014-03-15 at 05:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
dont ask...Demand to get it. Who cares about karma?

maybe jolla are doing a 180 and driving in anoder way. I remember CEO said they where doing exciting stuff with another company, never happend, sail fish alliance, never happend, jolla android launcher never happend, sailfishrom never happen. Premium device never happen. Device released on time never happen, this update never happen...yet.

cheer up dude, The launcher will come or we will rant on it for years...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-15 at 07:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aironeous View Post
Just to let you all know when I asked about the Sailfish launcher for Android I got a large amount of negative comments on xda forums and negative Karma on together.jolla.
So do not ask when the launcher will come out or any details because you will become public enemy #1 and I have no idea why.
Can't say why together.jolla.com users would give you negative karma for that, but for XDA it is probably 'Not Invented Here' syndrome, as well as not being open source. If it would be opensourced, I think they would love it and then fork it to a million variations as fast as the cat sneezes.

I'm disappointed to the android launcher situation generally. IMHO they are all copies of the same user paradigm and differing from each other only by the amount of the basic options they offer. There have been some with more idea to them, but those have vanished without reaching any kind of stable status.

Last edited by Manatus; 2014-03-15 at 09:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
@Dave999
yes they said all that, but at the same time they managed to deliver something important as well. Do not forget that there is a hostile environment for newcomers, look at the first Ubuntu mob attempt.

the most important thing is jolla to stay alive, bug fixes and upgrades will come. at the moment I spend €399 to get the device and I cannot afford to get another phone soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I'm lucky when I get a 3G signal in Germany, and people are talking about LTE here, which is known to suck battery like crazy, is data-only, and virtually non-existent.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I'm lucky when I get a 3G signal in Germany, and people are talking about LTE here, which is known to suck battery like crazy, is data-only, and virtually non-existent.
4G itself does not such battery that much more than 3G BUT what does suck battery is looking 4G connection and switching to 3G and then switching back to 4G, that is the main battery drain with 4G.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Weird, 85% of poland is covered by LTE already (actually, 85% of populace as most big cities are on, probably not much else). Haven't noticed it sucking battery like crazy (though like mariusmssj noted failback switching could increase the drain), does go fast if you are tethering at the same time, but just browsing/streaming is very similar to what wlan/3g usage does

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mariusmssj View Post
4G itself does not such battery that much more than 3G BUT what does suck battery is looking 4G connection and switching to 3G and then switching back to 4G, that is the main battery drain with 4G.
Well, 3G with its terribly weak coverage is already sucking battery a lot, so if LTE is not better in this regard, it's unsuitable for everyday's use.

And doesn't the phone have to be connected to 3G/4G at the same time, because with 4G only, you couldn't make plain phone calls, as it's data-only, and IP-telephony not yet deployed in the mobile space?

I just don't see any benefit of LTE in 2014 yet, except for bringing broadband to rural areas where no DSL or cable network is available, and that is not a phone use-case.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"