Active Topics

Alright, as stated in my other post, because our exchange guys have disabled "allow non provisioned devices" setting I had to search for an alternative device and I got myself brand new HTC Desire.

+s of migration from N900 to Desire that I've identified so far:
  • Size: My very first thought was "oh man, its so slim". Desire is twice as slim as N900 with more or less same weight.
  • Screen: you do not lose anything, colors seem to be even more colorfull than on N900
  • Portrait mode.
  • Native support of active sync. Finally! It works with my exchage 2007 and it rocks. Vitaly, no offence, but compared to Andriod implementation of Active Sync, one on Maemo is not even worth comparing.
  • Google maps. I missed it on maemo.
  • Browser almost as good as in N900.
  • Appstore or however they call it. No "wait a little community will develop something".
  • Nokia's charger and DC-11 compatible with Desire

Now -s
  • Browser, almost as good as on N900, but flash support is bit behind. On the other hand if you do not need to listen to to last.fm via broswer (which N900 did perfectly) then you won't spot any difference.
  • Bluetooth\Browser: Desire can't play sounds that web-pages produce via BT.
  • Camera. N900's camera rocks and will rock. HTC is waaaay behind here.
  • Shell. Well, ok, I won't be able to administer my remote linux box that easy and "nativly" as I did it on N900, but honestly - I can wait until time permits to do so from my laptop.
  • VPN. VPNin into corporate network and accessing servers remotely was somewhat handy, but I can live without it.
  • Keyboard. I'm going to miss it much as I will miss good N900 camera.
  • No native skype\IM support.

Ok, my verdict: Desire is in almost all dimentions as good as N900 or even better. Key ones for me are email, browser, camera, keyboard.
Email experience is by far better on Desire.
Camera on Desire sucks. Hoever if you need it only for taking party pictures, to recall what has happened last night, its absolutely acceptable.
Browsers are equally good.
Onscreen keyboard is ok, but hardware one really rocks.

I'm staying on Desire and so far I love it and recommend it anyone who is looking for a geek-top of the range-phone, not linux box with GSM module.

Last edited by alex_z; 2010-04-16 at 08:22.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to alex_z For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
My buddy bought a Desire yesterday and it really rocks. The colors are an order of magnitude more intense and colorful than on the N900. It looked dim in comparison.

But I really really need a physical keyboard, so I don't consider changing yet. If they would only release something with 1GHz, Android 2.1, a slim keyboard, then that could put my N900 in danger of being downsized.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Midlands UK
been thinkin of getting one of these but cant really justify paying out so much so short after my 900.Love my 900 but have a funny feeling i would like the simplicity of an android handset, just lacks that all important hardware keyboard.Nitdroid is the way forward i think (N900 hardware, Maemo 5/ meego on the way and dual boot to Android on top) now that woud be impresive.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
I don't think any device evers compares to the N900 because of the main issue here - the OS. Having Linux, dbus, gstreamer, hal , etc... It's not a matter of camera megapixels or screen colors. So I find this comparison completely bogus. It's not the same experience, the capabilities are not the same and such.

I wish there were a dozen competing devices with Maemo 5 (or Meego, for that matter) instead of only the N900. This way even PR1.2 might have been released earlier.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patola For This Useful Post:
Posts: 308 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ UK Swindon
quick update on battery life a week in and several charges later - getting a full day without any risk of running out.

One interesting point - AMOLED screens are pants in sunlight - make use of the the auto brightness function! You need it!

Apart from that, no issues and being a heavy/power/advanced user, I'm a happy bunny.

I'm following the exact same path as you have. I like my N900 but the lack of provisioning is killing me as I can't access my mails. And i've come to realise that I'm no so much of an early adopter...

I've ordered the Desire and can't wait to get my hands on it !

Hope I'll be able to sell my N900 at a good price though.

Originally Posted by qhorse View Post
I'm following the exact same path as you have. I like my N900 but the lack of provisioning is killing me as I can't access my mails. And i've come to realise that I'm no so much of an early adopter...

I've ordered the Desire and can't wait to get my hands on it !

Hope I'll be able to sell my N900 at a good price though.
Why dont you use some other email client, like claws-mail?
Thats the best thing on n900, you can choose...

Originally Posted by Patola View Post
I don't think any device evers compares to the N900 because of the main issue here - the OS. Having Linux, dbus, gstreamer, hal , etc... It's not a matter of camera megapixels or screen colors. So I find this comparison completely bogus. It's not the same experience, the capabilities are not the same and such.

I wish there were a dozen competing devices with Maemo 5 (or Meego, for that matter) instead of only the N900. This way even PR1.2 might have been released earlier.
How is the comparison bogus, the user is comparing two mobile communication devices from a user perspective not just the OS or the flexibility of the OS.

If Nokia felt the camera or the keyboard were unnecessary they wouldn't have included them.

I find both devices have strengths and weakness, ultimately it's what you feel are your key requirements, if it's the OS potential/camera/keyboard/resistive screen and tweakability then it's the N900, if however you want something that works seamlessly out of the box that requires less tweaking with a far bigger app store then it's the Desire or something similar, just not an iphone

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shugg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by alex_z View Post
  • Screen: you do not lose anything, colors seem to be even more colorfull than on N900
><
AMOLED ftw.

i still hate nokia because they didnt use amoled on the n900 xD

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I did consider Nexus1 or Desire before getting N900.

But it couldn't play xvid files or various other codec combos.
Also, hardware keyboard was a priority. Can't stand just touch.

It's been only around 6 months since N900 became available.
I'm very happy with what the community was able to create so far.
Once PR1.2 comes out, I'm sure N900 will be pretty well rounded.

But everyone has different needs. So I guess Desire is better in its own ways.