Notices

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
This app should be on the default repo!

Awesome!
I'm looking forward to this also.

Originally Posted by anthonie View Post
Anyway, on to the question: Is there any information available about keyboard shortcuts and such for the n900?
There are no special shortcuts for n900. But just tell me what new shortcuts you want to see in this version, and i will add them to the program.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NightRadio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Somewhere in Europe
How about these, would they be feasible?

Ctrl+tap/click = right mouse click menu i.e. in module area etc.

Ctrl+ArrowLeft/ArrowRight = keyboard octave shift down/up

Ctrl+ArrowUp/ArrowDown = change the master volume up/down

Alt+P = pattern properties

Alt+T = switch to timeline view (and back)

Ctrl+T = show/hide Touch Theremin

Alt+Backspace = delete selected module

P.S.: I'm missing Donate button ;-)

Last edited by cube48; 2010-12-17 at 06:55.

this app is very ugly . couldnt they make more beautiful UI . it makes me depress

Last edited by bzbnd; 2010-12-17 at 12:55.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by bzbnd View Post
this app is very ugly . couldnt they make more b.u.tifull ui . it makes me depress
I think your critiscism will serve you well if it is constructive.

E.g. "...I find this app hard to use because I'm not sure what the icons do. What would be useful if you could show tooltips when I hover the mouse cursor over an icon. BTW I have created a mock-up of the UI and attached it to this post.

I am no longer depressed and now very happy because I made a positive contribution with my comments..."

Personally I think the UI is ok. Considering the real-time demands of an app like this, the UI benefits of not using a widget library (e.g. gtk and QT) are obvious.

Not to mention how powerful this app is considering it is running an a mobile phone/computer.

Very impressive.

Last edited by johnel; 2010-12-17 at 08:31.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bzbnd View Post
this app is very ugly . couldnt they make more b.u.tifull ui . it makes me depress
<irony>
beautiful: 9 characters long; correct & intelligible
b.u.tifull: 10 chars; incorrect double 'l'; takes longer to type/read than the word it's "abbreviating"

conclusion: "beauty" is very much in the eye of the beholder
</irony>

seriously, never having used synth s/w before (on a desktop/laptop, never mind a phone!) I initially thought the UI was non-intuitive, a bit confused, and way too crowded. After 10 min's random tinkering, a quick read at the online doc's and one youTube demo, I now realise that the UI is a really neat piece of work, both technically and conceptually.

A (hideable) real time spectrum analyzer graph, overlaid on top of an animated 'drag & drop' module designer, with fully resizable windows/objects and optional floating toolbars accessible from conventional drop-down menus ... come on!

It may not be beautiful in a strictly aesthetic sense, but its ideally suited to it's sole purpose - making it possible to do a complex, real-estate hungry task like synth-based music design/playback, on such a small device.

The fact that it does so with (so far) rock-solid stability, and with fantastic real time performance (on its initial Maemo release, remember) is to me way more important than how it looks. At worst, the UI is like a good tool-box: utilitarian, robust, everything within a hand's reach, and designed to be used rather than just looked at or shown off to friends.

I'm not a synth or keyboard player, I'm a lapsed guitarist. This app is my fist introduction to the whole subject of electronic music and I wouldn't have gone near SunVox on any platform unless it had popped up on the TMO forum and aroused my curiosity. From posts here it sounded like it was a real, fully featured, "proper" synth app. I installed it mainly to see whether it lived up to the good press it was getting from seemingly knowledgable users.

Posting a one-liner about disliking the UI is just lame, given the huge amount of effort that's clearly gone into this project. Within an hour of installing, a total synth noob like me managed to 'compose' a recognisable drum/base/melody. That is surely evidence of a good UI?

I agree with Johnel that any such criticism, even if meant 100% positively, really needs to be backed up with some constructive feedback. How would YOU organise the hundereds of elements, options & functions present in the interface to make them more fit for purpose?

@NightRadio - great job, nil illegitimi carborundum.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:
@bzbnd
have you ever designed an UI for such a compex software ?
It is allways easy to criticise something, but could you do it better?
if you thin that it makes you depressive, you can try an other color scheme define own colors.

The Ui is very intuitive and has the freaky cool look you would expect from a tracker sequencer.

It is so flexible and you always have a good overview on all nessesary functions.

It is the coolest and most functional UI i have ever seen on a mobile device for a complex software.

I also miss a donate button in the main menu..i also requested this function in the to do list of the warmplace.ru forum :-)

Last edited by lq_sunshine; 2010-12-17 at 12:31.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lq_sunshine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by NightRadio View Post
There are no special shortcuts for n900. But just tell me what new shortcuts you want to see in this version, and i will add them to the program.
For me it would mainly boil down to F-keys; A quick ways to set octave and quicker track-selection. I do not use the stylus very much, so working from a keyboard would be great!

Seeing your vid on youtube and assuming it's your own n900 that we see there, I figured there probably was some other keyboard configuration available. Hence the question

@bzbnd

I can't help but wonder whether you are actually capable of explaining what this "ugly app" actually does...

@pigro : I edited the word beautiful in my last post . plz accept my apology for my bad english
@lq_sunshine : I'm not a progrmmer and also not a designer . i just told my opinion about the UI .

Last edited by bzbnd; 2010-12-17 at 13:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to bzbnd For This Useful Post:
ok, I have no problem with your English - I know from years of experience that it's vey difficult to have to communicate in a language that's foreign to you. I was being sarcastic to make a point, which is unfair if you are not a native English speaker.

I also understand that you are purely giving your own view as a user. Any app lives or dies by it's users' perceptions of it's functionality & usability, just as much as it's actual functionality/usability, so bad feedback is better than none.

I do wonder though what use you have for the app if you find the UI so depressing & ugly, when there is no obvious better alternative being suggested (either by you or anyone else) and when experienced synth guys appear to think SunVox is in fact well designed.

If you buy a niche, highly modifiable smartphone and proceed to mess it up by blindly screwing around, don't just blame the phone, also blame yourelf.

Last edited by Pigro; 2010-12-17 at 13:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pigro For This Useful Post:

Tags
fasttracker, synth, tracker