Just saw this at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=C2

Jobs then took issue with the geeky argument of open versus closed, which refers to how transparent a system's source code is to developers.

"Google loves to characterize Android as open, and iOS and iPhone as closed," Jobs said. "We find this a bit disingenuous and clouding the differences between our two approaches."

He called Android "fragmented." He highlighted how Android handset makers install layers on top of Google's software, which can introduce unexpected problems. And Amazon, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone say they intend to create their own digital stores to sell applications to Android users, despite Google's own Marketplace.

"This is going to be a mess for both users and developers," Jobs said. "We believe integrated will trump fragmented every time."
He also takes a jab at Nokia:
On Nokia, which sells the most cell phones worldwide, Jobs said: "Nokia is the biggest, and we admire them for being able to ship the number of handsets that they do. But we don't aspire to be like them."

"Nokia makes $50 handsets, and we don't know how to make a great smartphone for $50," Jobs said. "We're not smart enough to figure that one out yet."

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Reggie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Jobs is a one man troll army, what did you expect?

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
I'm convinced Jobs is one of the biggest blowhards the technological world has ever seen. I don't think anybody has held so much clout while being such a whiny b***h who doesn't in fact, seem to understand just what open and closed really are.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cincibluer6 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
who wants to hear steve jobs talking?

Nobody likes us but we dont care....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to atilla For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I like Andy Rubin's response to Steve Jobs best: here

Android is tons more open than iOS. Less open than MeeGo. But the discussion about open/close isn't Steve Jobs to make.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
While Jobs isn't wrong at all about Android, there is a vast difference between open/closed and fragmented/integrated. I fully agree that integrated is generally better because the manufacturer can tailor the software to the hardware, rather than vice versa, but that has no impact on its openness. Maemo isn't fragmented because it's Nokia specific, but it's still open

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
I'm not sure if he mean open as in open-source or open as in available to many manufacturers. Android of course is both though.

I think he also said "When we hear open we think Windows".

The Following User Says Thank You to parasight For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I like Andy Rubin's response to Steve Jobs best: here

Android is tons more open than iOS. Less open than MeeGo. But the discussion about open/close isn't Steve Jobs to make.
"mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"

Where are the commands to install the build files to a HTC Hero, Motorolo Milestone or some other xxx xxx?

If u have the answer the please let me know

If u know how to do same with Maemo Source code then please..

I can build linux kernel, gnu utils, x org, kde/gnome and build a distro and run it on my PC if u can do same with android or maemo then it is a true opensource product.

Some times it's good to have a well supported Closed Product than a half opensource product.

Last edited by vickyg; 2010-10-19 at 12:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to vickyg For This Useful Post:
Did he just compare a $50 phone to a smartphone?!! AND he is labeling Nokia as the "$50 handsets" manufacturer! This guy needs to get shot!

The Following User Says Thank You to mohannad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
He is a smart guy but his dis-ingenuity is reflective of those with intentions that are not clear/ well meaning. He very well knows Nokia makes phones for Enterprise, Entertainment and high end N series users. These are not $50 handsets. If he is claiming nokia is selling more because it's quality is low - well that is also incorrect.
Nokia's lowest end phones released in the last month all include Wifi, GPS, free ovi maps, app store and a strong community. These "50$" phones can multi task like the Iphone never could. These "50$" have sold so well because of Nokia high standards in quality manufacturing and by their use of a very mature and efficient OS - Symbian.

Everyone loves to hate Symbian - but like it or not its actually the best OS out there in terms of efficiency, maturity, cost and reliability. It's not a flavour of the month that comes and goes. When Apple reach that point they can then throw rocks.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post: