Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Has anyone tried this yet?

https://github.com/phatina/simple-mtpfs

It's an MTP file system using FUSE. Should work on Linux and Mac.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
With the help of a friend who writes qt programs, i've been trying to install the Tweetian beta. Unfortunately my friend is currently in Sydney which is a hindrance since I'm in the Uk. We have installed the qt dependencies need, but keep hitting the rpm.lock, and that won't delete either

Any ideas? what is the default password for su?

(please go easy on the reply, I can type accurately to enter commands, understand them a lot less)
Use pkcon for installations. In case you have used rpm or zypper directly.

In Settings: System settings: Developer mode enable Developer mode and Remote connection. Input a password and tap Save.
Then in Terminal app run "devel-su" command and give it the password. You are now root user on the system, so be careful because in the worst case you can brick the phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
Generally end users just press yes to all privilege questions, so there is no point of asking, as its just one useless dialog that bothers the end user experience. There is no point of asking question that users dont understand anyways (well yes 1% do understand, but do you want 1% to spoil the experience for 99% of other users). Those 1% are able to do their own hardening in developer mode anyways (as you can freely tweak android app permissions from commandline).
This is not a satisfying answer to those users who are in those 1% (I would argue that their percentage is substantially higher than that). And I'm sure I'm not alone in not wanting to waste my time hardening something that should be safe in the first place (one app's data from another app, without authorization).

But fair enough, at least a straight answer. I see this kind of security is not in Jolla's first priority.

The Following User Says Thank You to herpderp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
sometimes there seems to be a purple color cast, I have noted this on the other examples as well.

Exif data does not identify the camera as "Jolla"?

I notice your Flickr identifies the Lumia 1020.
Most of the recent pictures are indeed Lumia 1020. When I look at the exif info, the phone is identified by its processor as ARM&HD (or whatever it is I forget. The pictures side by side are noticeably bluer on the Nokia than the Jolla. The Jolla pictures remind me of the N9 and 808, which I guess is their heritage
Jolla #272

Originally Posted by att View Post
Use pkcon for installations. In case you have used rpm or zypper directly.

In Settings: System settings: Developer mode enable Developer mode and Remote connection. Input a password and tap Save.
Then in Terminal app run "devel-su" command and give it the password. You are now root user on the system, so be careful because in the worst case you can brick the phone.
Jolla #272

Originally Posted by aegis View Post

I use it to access Jolla from my Fedora Linux laptop. Fedora starts automatically Gphoto2 to access Jolla but for some reason Gphoto2 doesn't work with it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by att View Post
I use it to access Jolla from my Fedora Linux laptop. Fedora starts automatically Gphoto2 to access Jolla but for some reason Gphoto2 doesn't work with it.
So what does work with it?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
For mass-storage we need to have a separate FAT partition to have it work on all OS's.
OK - now is this the answer to my question why mass storage was naturally supported on both the N900 and the N9 but isn't on the Jolla Phone? Because the Nokia models hat FAT partitions that the Jolla has not?

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to argue in favor of FAT now or anything like that. I just felt that the explanation "everyone's moving away from mass storage in favor of MTP" is not satisfying for someone who used only mass storage on all Maemo devices so far, including Maemo 6. I can live with a good explanation why Jolla didn't include mass storage, as I could live with the N900 not supporting MMS given its complexity. I only feel that "everyone's moving away" isn't a good explanation.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So what does work with it?
I dismiss Fedora's dialog to open Gphoto2 and then I run simple-mtpfs from command line to mount Jolla. In some cases the first mount can fail. In those cases unmounting and mounting again fixes it for me. Then you can access data and photos with any software that uses normal filesystem syscalls for accessing them.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post

That looks like something worth giving a shot. I might break my Mac though. Better try it on the laptop first... ^^

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience