Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
And we support 100% apps in landscape mode.

Some of our applications support portrait mode. 3rd party applications can support both modes, fairly effortlessly (looking at the Conboy example).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
How about something like this:
Yes, T9 would work. It's not very fast, though.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
That's *SO* much more effort to use than simply rotating the thing and using the keyboard. Wow... this is amazing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@ragnar: yes, and that would be fine if you can operate the n900 securely and comfortably with one hand, to fit some of the use cases mentioned before.

Anyway, the discussion seems to have gone around a few times already I'm out...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Maemo 5 comes with a T9, used in the Phone application. It has the numbers and the characters as you find them in physical T9 keyboards.

What I don't know right now is whether an app could "ask for it" in portrait mode, or the work that would be needed to provide this.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
That's *SO* much more effort to use than simply rotating the thing and using the keyboard. Wow... this is amazing.
duh... like said numerously you can't use the landscape keyboard with one hand while your other hand is busy holding a beer. And no, I refuse letting go of my beer for texting, I'd rather not text at all than letting go of my beer!

Maemo 5 comes with a T9, used in the Phone application. It has the numbers and the characters as you find them in physical T9 keyboards.

What I don't know right now is whether an app could "ask for it" in portrait mode, or the work that would be needed to provide this.
That would be great if possible!

The Following User Says Thank You to ColdFusion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post

Actually you're perhaps (or am I?) a bit misled now.

Maemo 5 has the ITU-T keypad layout in the phone. T9 on the other hand refers to the algorithm where typing any number once tries to guess... there is "abc", and pressing it once predicts what the user means. ITU-T text input assumes press once for a, press twice for b, press thrice for c.

I haven't seen T9 on Maemo 5.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ragnar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
We'll just wait and see how the 'mass' receive this limitation, shall we
I think this thread has served its purpose as an early indicator.

Combine this:

with this:

And make it portrait mode

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by ColdFusion View Post
duh... like said numerously you can't use the landscape keyboard with one hand while your other hand is busy holding a beer.
You just haven't tried hard enough!

Tags
display, fremantle, landscape, maemo, maemo 5, orientation, portrait, portrait v. landscape war, use-case