Hi all, I'm a long time admirer of this community and so first off would just like to say thanks for all the great work on here getting just about everything working on the NITs

A little background- I'm a university student looking to do a project comparing the user interfaces of Maemo, Android, and a desktop-like GUI (I've gone for LXDE on easy debian). I've got all three systems working (although on two N810's), but now here comes the tricky bit.

I'm looking to record (and ideally, view in real time) a users session on each of the three systems (Maemo, Android, LXDE). I know nothing about VNC/remote desktop stuff at the moment (I will be reading up on it and doing my research, but I only got the OS’s loaded yesterday). What I would ideally like to do is have a laptop (can be Windows or Ubuntu Linux) set up a few feet away from the NIT showing the contents of its screen in real time. I could then use a screencasting program on my laptop to capture the NIT session as well as view it in real time. How feasible is this? Is it even possible on NITDroid?

Failing this I could use screencasting apps on the NIT itself (I gather they exist from the amount of Maemo screencasts floating around online) however; (i) I would like to view in real time as well ideally (ii) sessions may be quite long, so storing the data on the laptop over the NIT is preferable (iii) NITDroid seems to eat system resources, I don’t know if it could cope with a browser session and screencasting software running (or if such software exists, or if VNC exists or would also be too much resource-wise for that matter... my first Android/NITdroid experience literally was last night).

I know it’s highly unlikely anyone will have done this in practice before so of course I’m not asking for a guide, but first off I just wanted to ask if you think it’s feasible or if you can spot any big problems (I’m suspecting NITDroid to be a big problem). And any links, particularly regarding VNC/screencasting for LXDE/NITDroid would also be much appreciated! I’m not afraid of doing my reading, just wanted a few expert opinions to gage how do-able this is, or if I’m really going to be chasing dead-ends!

Finally just a little PS... Mer isn't worth my pursuit at the moment (as a fourth interface, or a replacement for NITdroid if that proves too problematic) is it? Last I looked, it seemed to have a very similar interface to Maemo and I hear there's a snazzy looking new UI but that it doesn't work well/at all on the N810 due to difficult graphics drivers? Again please correct me if I'm wrong!

Apologies for this essay; thanks for reading this far and huge thanks in advance for any input!

All the best

Just a little update in case anyone posts back about Maemo/LXDE. After a bit of reading around, I discovered the fantastic X11vnc which is an absolute godsend, its ideal for my purposes. So only one question really remains... does anyone know of a similiar app/my prospects for getting it working using NITDroid?

Any thoughts on Mer are most welcome too though by the way

Okay sorry for the bump but I just wanted to say I've got it- so no replies needed. Androidscreencast on google code effectively does the job and works fine with NITDroid.

I'm sorry I've used this thread to effectively talk to myself! In retrospect I should have just popped into an IRC room or something. If any mod wants to lock or remove thats fine with me.

Cheers