Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by FRZ View Post
The 20 percent being 90 percent of nokia software/drivers that the tablet need to function.
Like the Notepad application

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
how about DSP (sound?) stuff then?
We could write a DSP kernel with the hw codec driver now, the basic DSP kernel code is freely available and the spec sheets for the hw codec are also available. We'll lose the added Nokia functionality from the official DSP kernel, but anything that is useful could be re-implemented.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Woo! Even more made up statistics!
Whether they are made up or not your statement implies you know the correct statistics. Are you privy to this info?

Are you an employee of Nokia who's job it is to count lines of code?

Why don't you share the true statistics with this community?

Are you sworn to secrecy?

If you are privy to this kind of information (code), are you helping slonopotamus with his outstanding effort?

GA: If you feel the need to respond to these questions raised by your off topic responses in this thread, please do so in a new thread. Other members may have more questions for you to answer.

Slonopotamus, I wish you great success with this endeavor and thank you for this contribution to our community.

Originally Posted by slonopotamus
What help I'm asking for: search and post here closed software that you want to be rewritten (no GUI or firmware stuff, please). If you have spare time, dissasemble/strace/debug/whatever those binaries and document their behaviour as much as you can.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Whether they are made up or not your statement implies you know the correct statistics. Are you privy to this info?

Are you an employee of Nokia who's job it is to count lines of code?

Why don't you share the true statistics with this community?

Are you sworn to secrecy?
Actually, take a look at https://garage.maemo.org/docman/view...s-20080716.ods - old but fairly accurate. It states what packages are OSS, what aren't, etc.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Actually, take a look at https://garage.maemo.org/docman/view...s-20080716.ods - old but fairly accurate. It states what packages are OSS, what aren't, etc.
Thanks Stskeeps

... this^ info is could have been provided by GA in support of his statement. This whole argument has munged up a very positive thread on this board.

I often think that derailing a thread is the purpose of these side discussions over the precise quanities of (insert label of extranious BS)...

I repeat...

Slonopotamus, I wish you great success with this endeavor and thank you for this contribution to our community.

Originally Posted by slonopotamus
What help I'm asking for: search and post here closed software that you want to be rewritten (no GUI or firmware stuff, please). If you have spare time, dissasemble/strace/debug/whatever those binaries and document their behaviour as much as you can.

Actually, take a look at https://garage.maemo.org/docman/view...s-20080716.ods - old but fairly accurate.
Thanks!

I would say it's current, the date in the filename puts this firmly in Diablo's timeframe.

The list of packages looks like from the SDK (it includes compilers and such but not most user apps) but not quite - it does include some statusbar & control panel applets not available in scratchbox for example.

Summing up the columns shows 93 "Nokia-closed" & 2 "3rd party" out of 286 total packages, which would be at least 33% closed (some of the "OSS modified" packages, like libjpeg or libosso-gsf are also closed).

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Summing up the columns shows 93 "Nokia-closed" & 2 "3rd party" out of 286 total packages, which would be at least 33% closed (some of the "OSS modified" packages, like libjpeg or libosso-gsf are also closed).
Agreed, but a lot of this is open now To the argument about what packages you need to make the N8x0 fully functional in terms of HW interfacing (before the Jazelle, 3d driver etc arguments appear: this is for the amount of HW support that users get when they install Diablo.)

wlan-firmware (i know this is just a symlink to initfs)
bt-firmware (same)
gstreamer0.10-hantro
gpsdriver
hald-addon-bme (we have a open version of this now)
dsme (more specifically libcal, CAL access + format)
Osso-dsp-modules-rx-44 - ti
initfs (BME, wlan-cal, bt-cal, etc)

Which is 7.3% of closed source software to get the N8x0 fully functional with regards to HW interfacing - hardly 90%
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-08-02 at 17:42.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Agreed, but a lot of this is open now To the argument about what packages you need to make the N8x0 fully functional in terms of HW interfacing (before the Jazelle, 3d driver etc arguments appear: this is for the amount of HW support that users get when they install Diablo.)

bt-firmware (same)
gstreamer0.10-hantro
gpsdriver

Which is 7.3% of closed source software to get the N8x0 fully functional with regards to HW interfacing - hardly 90%
So I was wrong darn it but, close enough.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Russia, Moscow
bt-firmware (same)
These two are very unlikely, they require deep understanding of hw internals.

gstreamer0.10-hantro
What's this and why we need it?

gpsdriver
No way, unless someone gives me N810 (N800 here).

Well, if we have, this can be put out from list.

I'm working on it currently. Alreay have readonly access.

Problematic, they only provide x86 toolchain.

Could you list this in more detail?I wrote wlan-cal and cal-tool analogues. bt-cal should be simple, I put it on my list. BME is a separate beast (planned, though). Anything more?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to slonopotamus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
gstreamer0.10-hantro is the proprietary video encoding codec. I think it might use the DSP, but I'm not sure (it's closed )

http://www.on2.com/index.php?319

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: