Active Topics

Originally Posted by Swirnoff View Post
In software like this I am foremost looking at it's ability to help me retrieve my device. So I'd like to see the following features:

When lost, I'd like the software to alert the person who finds my phone with my conact info (such as a permanent error message/screen asking the person to call the following number, etc.)

In any case, I'd need the software to get an accurate location fix so I'm able to go to the police and have them retrieve my N900. How will this be acomplished? What if I'm not paying for an internet plan? After being stolen, I'd want the software, when activatited (recovery mode turned on through your remote server by owner of phone?), to go ahead and use aGPS to fix and transmit it's coordinates (which should be a lot faster than using GPS). I don't care if I get billed for a few kilos of data. After all I get to have my device back.

Seems like the software needs a 'recovery' mode on the N900, which can be activated by N900's owner either via the remote recovery service server or by an SMS with key words.
What I am offering here is the server side API for such an application to use. I have created basic scripts so I can use it, but I have no expertise or time to get into n900 client side development unfortunately.

Hopefully the people who are skilled in developing apps that can do clever stuff like display a contact info message etc. are aware of the service I offer so that they can use it for their applications.

http://jqueryinreallife.blogspot.com - Comedy jQuery blog

Loggin in to ssh is a way to get all control over your phone:
  • Seeing what applications the user is running
  • Kill/run new applications
  • Show a message on screen
  • Get the phone number
  • Install/remove applications
  • Take a pic from the webcam
  • Record from the microphone
  • Download files to you (contact list, messenger account).
  • Get the gps coordinates
  • Capture packets from network
  • Take care about how the things are going (getting the gps, in call, sending a file, recording sound, taking screenshot, etc).

You can do a lot of things if you know the commands using ssh and a combination of commands with ssh you can control, pull, or put, information, or devices in your phone.

But you can preprogram that before in some scripts so when your phone is lost you can simply call that scripts via ssh.

I want to know how works that website: http://www.whereismydevice.com/
And the owner is a guy from here? Or somebody else?

Easiest way to do is, send your phone's geo locations to your email hourly?

N900; Maemo 5 PR 1.2

Originally Posted by benh_n900 View Post
hi all,

i have been following with interest the various anti-theft/find my device threads and decided to put together a web application to help with this.

At the moment the service is in beta state and is password protected to keep the masses and bots out. The username/password is developer/maemo for anyone who wants to have a play.

As such, i present http://www.whereismydevice.com which is a free service to aid with phone theft/loss applications.

I have already spoken to rachol who is looking at using it for the i am here application.

Please feel free to use this tracking service for any application that you are developing.

Included on the site are the rather messy scripts that i have put together to make my n900 do what i want. If anybody wants to tidy/package this up, please feel free - i don't think it's gonna be too complicated for someone who has done it before. N900 development is a challenge i will take on in the future when i have some spare time!

a quick summary of how i have the web service working with my n900

whenever the n900 network is started (from if-up), a call is made to the web server to check for actions.

Depending on the response from the web, one of the following actions is taken;

1. Report location
2. Report location every 15 minutes
3. Send sms to [number]
4. Setup reverse ssh (note: Requires your own server)

in addition, an email is sent on any contact (optional), on imsi change and on an incorrect password attempt from the device.

This is useful if the phone is lost/stolen. If the phone connects to the internet, even with a new sim (but not after reflash), then i get contacted and i can log into the phone as root from where i am.

Suggestions/comments are welcome.

Cheers,

ben
sir,i am new to linux when i go to site and log in i can see nokia n900 api documentation,pls tell me what to do after that,i want thia app asap waiting for your reply