Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
thanks everyone for replying so quick. That's the reason i love maemo community. i will check which one is easier for me and will start learning it.

The Following User Says Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Python.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Try C++ & Qt (QML)

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
thanks everyone for replying so quick. That's the reason i love maemo community. i will check which one is easier for me and will start learning it.
Also if you have JavaScript knowledge you can do simple apps with QML which will work in Maemo, Meego, Jailfish and Ubuntu Phone.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Yes, but that is something that is very obvious while learning assembler.
-As i see it, its much better to spend an afternoon to learn how ML works instead of spending months on trying to decode the "magic" behind C.

For instance.
set adress 0200 and forward in the memory to "hello world$" then write.

Mov ah,09
mov dx, 0200
call function int 21h

will print "Hello world" on the screen.

-This little routine is easy to understand, and everything from pointers to functioncalls and their parameters are explained here.
..and,everything with numbers like boolean long short signed and unsigned integers and float ... why they exist and why you cant mix them, is also very obvious when you have a grasp of how ML/assembler works.
Your example only works on x86 assembler, and INT21h calls the MS-DOS API (roughly equivalent to stdio.h, but only if there's a DOS running somewhere): DOS INT 21h - DOS Function Codes. That wouldn't work on an N900.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tigas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2012 @ México
Lets get together and finally develop a document editor for harmattan. Hope we can finish it at least before jolla is officially released for n9.

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
My advice would be to stick to something as close as possible. You have a N900 or a N9? Great. There are plenty of cool things you could do with that.

You could simply start scripting on the terminal, Python is great, but I guess developing for those devices certainly calls for C++ in combination with Qt, or leave the Qt out of the equation and simply start with C++ on the command line.

Forget about Assembly, for now. It is lovely, it is beautiful but it is not true that that would be "a simple best start" to learn programming. It's not. Actually, the real best start would be a piece of paper, a pencil, a brain and some mighty interesting ideas.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

http://awelonblue.wordpress.com/2012...pen-and-paper/

Last edited by anthonie; 2013-01-22 at 16:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
Your example only works on x86 assembler, and INT21h calls the MS-DOS API (roughly equivalent to stdio.h, but only if there's a DOS running somewhere): DOS INT 21h - DOS Function Codes. That wouldn't work on an N900.
Correct....

But as i said, the assemblerknowledge wasnt for to learn to make progams on the N900, it was only to get a grasp on pointers, integers float and such stuff that is used in C.
And as such it doesnt matter what assembler it is and how well you know it, it is only necessary with some basic knowledge of any assemblylanguage to get a great start in understanding C programming and avoid the problems C gives for anyone who dont have that knowledge.

But as a beginnerlanguage i still vote for Python (it is very powerful on the N900) and then when mastering the thinking behind programming in general , go over to languages with a lot more complex syntax like C.

Last edited by electroaudio; 2013-01-22 at 16:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Yeah, and because you'll first have to understand the hardware before actually learning & understanding ML, and even something before that, i'll trow in a recent freebie: Understanding quantum physics in three easy lessons.

People.

Next: someone chokes up that HTML5/webcrapps actually are da shiznit. I really expect this to happen here.
Code:
document.write('hello world')
:P

just kidding

But really please, please don't start learning programming with bash, no don't do that.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
qwazix,

Only pointed (pun intended, yes...) to bash because I think it's the place where most people start to understand the fundamental ideas behind programming.

Single line execution is also nice, I guess, when you're just starting out.

But above all: The command line and scripting for it, seems less intimidating to me when you first try and understand how programming works. For that reason, I also concluded my post by stating that pen and paper should not be overlooked

Having said that, you are of course right, bash is not the best place to start programming. But it is a nice place to get your feet wet and see if you can live with the temperature of the water.

Tags
beq r1, bx argue, if (seekadvice), return argue();