Greetings all. I apologize in advance if this post belongs somewhere else.

A recent 'OTA' update has rendered my N9 unbootable and I'm about at wits end. I was curious if anyone else has experienced this issue or has a solution to it. The phone notified me of the update last night, and after downloading and installing it all I have is the illuminated 'NOKIA' logo. Multiple reboots have rendered the same... Sim in or out, etc.

The phone's product code is '059L3S6' which I gather is "RM-696 SingTel Singapore SG Black 64GB". The phone came with firmware PR1.1 20.2011.40-2_PR_005. After realizing the device was bricked, I grabbed the flasher program and downloaded firmware: 'DFL61_HARMATTAN_10.2011.34-1.263.1_PR_LEGACY_263_ARM_RM-696_PRD_signed.bin' using Navifirm (this firmware matched the 059L3S6 product). Attempting to flash with this firmware resulted in this error:

Code:
bb5_rdc_cert_read failed
Downgrade disallowed (1319640870)
[Pipe   0] Finishing in error state with status 10
I tried several other firmwares including:
DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4.418.2_PR_LEGACY_418_ARM_RM-696_PRD_signed.bin
DFL61_HARMATTAN_20.2011.40-4_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin

And so forth. None of these work. It seems that a '2011.40-4' firmware does not exist for my product. Reading through posts from others with similar issues, I found that I could use flasher to only flash parts of these images to the handset: (nolo,kernel,moslo,initfs,rootfs,cmt,mmc,tar). In using the --flash-only option, I found that all options regardless of firmware image actually succeed except for the rootfs, which makes sense I suppose.

Am I completely pooched here? Do I wait for a '2011.40-4' firmware for my product code to appear on Navifirm? Do I need to send the phone to Nokia? Or should I perhaps just tie it to a tree and see how accurate my M1 rifle is at 100 yards.. Any suggestions are appreciated.. I'm a long-time N900 user and I'm not afraid to try anything to get this sucker working again.

Thanks.

If you're trying to flash the device, I assume it's via a pc? Are you running windows or linux? If windows, try using the software updater tool (hopefully device is still recognised when plugged into USB). From memory, this will install correct current device firmware & O/S.

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If you're trying to flash the device, I assume it's via a pc? Are you running windows or linux? If windows, try using the software updater tool (hopefully device is still recognised when plugged into USB). From memory, this will install correct current device firmware & O/S.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I'm using Linux regularly, but I've also tried Nokia's software update tool on Windows (tried the 'PC Suite' too). In Linux the flash at least is attempted (as above), but fails. In windows (version 7 x86_64) the device is detected but Nokia's tools don't see it.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
The phone came with firmware PR1.1 20.2011.40-2_PR_005.
Well how did you get an update then???????

You cannot flash older firmware, hence the error:
Code:
bb5_rdc_cert_read failed
Downgrade disallowed (1319640870)
[Pipe   0] Finishing in error state with status 10

Get Navifirm 1.5+, search for the latest firmware version for your product code. Clearing the local cache helps a lot.

Last edited by F2thaK; 2011-11-24 at 09:28.

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
Well how did you get an update then???????
'Device Update' notification on screen.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Yes, but I dont get how you got an update if your device came with PR1.1...

BTW, see my above post for some helpful suggestions.

Originally Posted by F2thaK View Post
Yes, but I dont get how you got an update if your device came with PR1.1...

BTW, see my above post for some helpful suggestions.
Thanks.
Can't tell you why the device thought it needed to be updated. If I were to guess, I'd say it's because I had "PR1.1 20.2011.40-2" and the latest seems to be "PR1.1 20.2011.40-4"..? 4>2 =)

Regardless, Navifirm lists nothing under 20.2011.40.4 for my product code. Using Navifirm v1.5

Originally Posted by e-d0uble View Post
... I've also tried Nokia's software update tool on Windows (tried the 'PC Suite' too). In Linux the flash at least is attempted (as above), but fails. In windows (version 7 x86_64) the device is detected but Nokia's tools don't see it.
Both Win 7 and all 64-bit versions were problematic when flashing Maemo5; see the Wiki. Can you try 32-bit WinXP (Pro), (oldskool)?

Suggest you talk to your reseller/network about this, if you're still in the sales domain. Did the update show once you'd started roaming or inserted another sim? Also, It maybe that the device is locked so only by getting the operator to unlock it will the standard O/S work on it?

One more point - Look on here and the Wiki for ways to prevent notifications for s/w updates. It'll make that little flashing icon go away at least!

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Both Win 7 and all 64-bit versions were problematic when flashing Maemo5; see the Wiki. Can you try 32-bit WinXP (Pro), (oldskool)?

Suggest you talk to your reseller/network about this, if you're still in the sales domain. Did the update show once you'd started roaming or inserted another sim? Also, It maybe that the device is locked so only by getting the operator to unlock it will the standard O/S work on it?

One more point - Look on here and the Wiki for ways to prevent notifications for s/w updates. It'll make that little flashing icon go away at least!
Bought the phone on Ebay, so there's likely no recourse. The update appeared while I was home. I'll try to flash via WinXP 32 bit. I can still install it on a spare disk. I have a sinking feeling it won't help but I'll certainly try.

Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
just download the same firmware without matching the product code on your device...any product code will do as long as it has the same firmware...
if it works then stay using that firmware for a while until Navifirm has a downloaded version of firmware that matching your product codes...