Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
I am starting to customize my N9 with hand-made *.desktop files in
/home/user/.local/share/applications

It's all nice and pretty, except that I cannot remove an entry from the launcher the way I can delete a bookmark set by the browser. (In other words: there's not red 'x' that allows me to delete the icon.)

Maybe the UI design principle behind this is that the launcher screen won't let you remove anything if it doesn't know what 'remove' means... uninstall something? Simply delete something? ...?

Anyway, how can I tell Harmattan that it may safely delete my handmade *desktop-files from the directory without any further action?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
you'll probably need to delete the icons same way you created them: by hand. the red x is probably connected to application manager completely.. (uninstalling application removes the desktop file...)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
@ossipena: I would have thought it'd be tied to the application manager... but then, the red 'x' also appears on links created by the browser... I don't really know, of course, but I somehow doubt they're handled as applications by the application manager. So my hope was there might be another flag that marks icons as removable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
if the web browser links are added similar to maemo5 (via api designed to do the operation), both app manager and link adding api trigger some kind of assosiation into the icon created...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post: