Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
Amazing work !
do you have some noobs website for me to learn QT dev ? starting from 0 ?
Unfortunately I can't think of any... If you have any experience with Object Oriented Software Development it shouldn't be a problem.

If you don't... well... you will need to prepare yourself for the ride... I would probably start by installing the latest beta release of Qt Creator and start with QML.

QML is a complete different animal but it can be quite fun and would work as your starting point to the Qt world.

My maemo work:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Harmattan:
GeePS - native UI around google maps - GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps".
Shutdown - shutdown and reboot with one click - QuickCall - one click call, skypeout and google voice integration using dial tones.
WakeOnLan - wake computers on your local network.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Maemo/N900:
GApp - access to optimized mobile "google apps". - MobWebMail: browser optimized to access multiple gmail accounts
MyContacts: 75 Contacts on your desktop, ring tones per group and more - GeePS: native front-end for google maps
Macuco2 : web browser to access web sites optimized for the iphone - WakeOnLan: wake up computers on your local network
dbBrowser: Simple application to browse sqlite databases

The Following User Says Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I have also written Qt apps for the N900, and having used several IDE's and several platforms I have to say that Qt is excellent. And QML is icing on the cake. It really makes creating mobile apps simple. I don't even have scratchbox installed...I just go straight from QtCreator to packaging for the extras repository.

Supposedly Angry Birds and Bounce were written with Qt. Angry Birds is one of the most popular games for Android and for iPhone, so it is nice to see Rovio (the publisher) picking up on Qt. It bodes well for the future.

I don't know if this is the tenor of the thread, but I do see a lack of cross-platform Qt content for the N900 (or in general). Are there tons of Qt apps out there for Symbian (or even desktops) just waiting for us to find the open source code and port them? If so, identify the locations and we will start porting. But the expectation is that the development for symbian should also be creating apps for N900 and meego.

Perhaps now that meego devices are beginning to hit the market (a few tablets, at least), we will start to see some action. But don't let that stop you from writing in Qt...it really is the way to go if you want to make apps for these platforms going forward.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
yes qt seems really a fastest way to make your own app. leafpad and filebox are two apps I wouldn't miss to list in qt app list. You can just start writing simple gui app(or even better simple gui) with few clicks. I considered qt as a nokia version of ms dot net, making the life easier. I learned few bits of qt and successfully compiled sis for symbian and deb for maemo5, installed sis well but in while installing deb I just get error which I guess is because I got older version+little corrupted version of qt in pc. but that might be because I forgot to give it a category which I don't know how to.

for those who wants to learn qt, there's four part tutorial to create app for symbian using qt at blog.symbian.com, shuld help to get started for maemo as well but I learned almost everything except qt before I came across that tutorial. slots, triggers..... sad I didn't learned c++ in past, it is really different from fortran, dot net, dot net c sharp etc in terms of where variables are defined and so forth.

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Don't know if it was mentioned but here is also a good start and summary even for current developers:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
there is one thing about QT that make me wonder. QT SDK is great and far more complet than gtk as an example but....

It seems to me like nokia dont want to "official" support QT bindings for python in meego/maemo(not a world about pyside on meego site or on nokia developer site not support it official is the most stupid thing nokia can do if they.

I dont say C++ is bad but today developers nows about C#/java and those has garbage collector etc.. we cant ignore the facts that C++ is old. I still prefer C++ instead of shitty java or C# but I think "younger" developers prefer C# or similar.

Thats why we need python as a complement. that is a good complement to C++ imho..

python is far more simple for new developers and fast to make smallapps etc... imho. ofcourse it has its drawbacks cause its a not optimized for embedded etc... but in those cases developers need optimized(games etc..) apps they can still use C++

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-12-01 at 02:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Don't know if it was mentioned but here is also a good start and summary even for current developers:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Qt
There is no mention of Qt 4.7 in PR1.3, unfortunately.

shitty java
THANK YOU. I find it hard to find people who agree that Java is absolute trash. Write once, run anywhere my ***.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...build+fart+app

Not pure Qt, but very helpful for those looking to learn nonetheless.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Posts: 136 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ SF East Bay, Cali
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
There is no mention of Qt 4.7 in PR1.3, unfortunately.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_5/PR1.3

New features

* Qt Mobility API 1.0.2, which is now integrated into the device software.
* Qt Core libraries updated to 4.7.0 version.
* Full OVI-Suite support

The Following User Says Thank You to JayBEE For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Supposedly Angry Birds and Bounce were written with Qt. Angry Birds is one of the most popular games for Android and for iPhone, so it is nice to see Rovio (the publisher) picking up on Qt. It bodes well for the future.
Actually they weren't. Angry Birds and Bounce have been ported to run on top of Qt as an experiment but the public releases are still based on the native platform SDKs.

In practice there is little to none difference between the versions in this case because like in any commercial grade game engine the platform dependent code only sums up to a tiny fraction of a percentage, which is the part where Qt was used to replace platform SDKs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miika For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rulez, dickwad, go bada, in your butt, whining idiot