Active Topics

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
On this forum in several threads I've seen nonsense tags en masse being added in the thread. What is going on? Can a moderator please look into this? Here on bottom is clear example.

Here is an example with only 1 tag which is clearly nonsense.

Last edited by chemist; 2010-03-26 at 15:10. Reason: Title Change

lol. Love the tag. And it appears they tagged you here with it too.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
It's just someone proving their need for instructional control. Unfortunately the easy way to do that is to treat all users as children. Whether we deserve it or not.

It's a selfish, attention seeking, passive aggresive act... IMHO

It should be possible to look up who created a tag and it should be possible to look up who added a tag.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
It should be possible to look up who created a tag and it should be possible to look up who added a tag.
Ah... and there is that attention seeking component of this behavior that I spoke of Doctor.

The fact that it requires you to do the actual work to find out who... makes it passive-aggressive ******ish in my book.

Last edited by YoDude; 2009-04-04 at 17:18. Reason: see strikethrough

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, the easy and unnecessary way to "fix" this would be to treat everyone like chilldren. But it's not actually a problem worthy of much notice. I saw the tags and assumed they were the work of someone with an addled sense of humor. They didn't bother me much.

This must be work for someone, and they would presumably get tired of it at some point, unless they really don't have a life.

Actually, come to think of it, the use of psychobabble tags like "passive-aggressive" bothers me more...

Last edited by geneven; 2009-04-04 at 16:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Yes, the easy and unnecessary way to "fix" this would be to treat everyone like chilldren. But it's not actually a problem worthy of much notice. I saw the tags and assumed they were the work of someone with an addled sense of humor. They didn't bother me much.

This must be work for someone, and they would presumably get tired of it at some point, unless they really don't have a life.

Actually, come to think of it, the use of psychobabble tags like "passive-aggressive" bothers me more...

What sucks is that this abuse draws attention to the fact that the tag could be used as spam. It don't hurt my feelings none.

BTW, I use easily searched terms in my posts as a consideration for those reading. Would the term "******ish" be better for you.

Dude relax. I think the tags were funny as hell. I even added the total amount that I was allowed. Regular users don't clutter actual useful threads with the type of tags found on your example.

Heck I started checking that thread just to look at the tags.

The Following User Says Thank You to sondjata For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
This kind of 'humor' blurs the tag cloud though. Its also potentially confusing for a new comer. It also makes tags less functional. If a majority of users prefer it, so be it. Problem is that right now every user can add 2 (nonsense) tags to every thread and these tags are not verified. If you compare that to Slashdot only the most popular tags are shown instead. While here tagging is encouraged its apparently not used in the right way in some threads.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Well, we know who's tagging the n900 hardcase nonsense.

Tags
forum moderation, noise, spam, tag & spam, tag spam, tags