Hi,
I'd like to connect my laptop to the internet via n900. I have the usbnet connection ready and working. I also have my n900 connected to a wifi and ip_forwarding enabled. Normally I'd just add a SNAT rule to iptables.... but maemo doesn't seem to provide the iptables at all.
Is this doable in some way?

Thanks

Why don't you just use JoikuSpot? I started using it the last time I was in Vegas and the hotel tried to charge me $15 for 24hr internet access. Downloaded JoikuSpot in about 2 minutes from my phone and was up and running on my laptop in about 3 minutes. Works like a charm.

The problem is that i don't want to use wifi -> 3g tunnel. I want usb cable -> wifi. that is not something joiku offers afaik.

Try using Nokia PC suite, there is an option for internet sharing via cable.

I just plug my N900 into my Eee901, running Crunchbang Linux, and Network Manager makes it available as an external modem.

Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
I just plug my N900 into my Eee901, running Crunchbang Linux, and Network Manager makes it available as an external modem.
Should work with any Linux/Windows same way as long bluetooth-dun package is installed in N900.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
For me, connecting to the N900 via USB - which is connected to the wireless network, let's me share the n900s GSM connection NOT the wireless one. Verified by tracing the route out and clearly going through my Mobile carier not my ISP.

This is with Network Manager on Ubuntu 10.4 (eeepc901).

Be interested if I'm missing something obvious to share the broadband not gsm connection over usb - which is how I read the OPs intent.

Last edited by mr id; 2010-04-26 at 14:20. Reason: for clarity

Once again: No -- I don't want 3G, I don't want modem, I don't want bluetooth and I don't use windows, so there's no PC Suite.

AP <-wifi-> N900 <-cable-> laptop

That's all I want. Any ideas?
At least "mr id" gets it

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
It's called tethering, and the reason everyone suggested 3G instead of wifi is because most laptops have wifi embedded so the market for such setups is mostly dead.

When mounted as USB, devices work as modems, not as LAN cards. However, you should be able to route the data normally, from one interface to another, though I think that could break stuff.

Your best bet thus far is to look for Maquarade, that should do the trick, only problem is I'm not sure you have the interfaces to route correctly, as the modem isn't really a network card.

Could be done. Some hotspot sharing software like the joiku or what's its name could route to a modem interface.

Also, explain all you want, it's an USB device not a magical fairy, the OS on the other side must know how to use it. It's never going to be an unshielded twisted pair. As a result you need the equivalent of the USB dial modem driver or software, regardless of platform.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Originally Posted by ndi View Post
When mounted as USB, devices work as modems, not as LAN cards.
Wrong. usbnet interface allows normal ethernet-compatible setup.

Your best bet thus far is to look for Maquarade, that should do the trick, only problem is I'm not sure you have the interfaces to route correctly, as the modem isn't really a network card.
As I mentioned - I would, but there's no iptables available.

Also, explain all you want, it's an USB device not a magical fairy, the OS on the other side must know how to use it. It's never going to be an unshielded twisted pair. As a result you need the equivalent of the USB dial modem driver or software, regardless of platform.
That's why I mentioned in the first post that I do have both networks configured (wifi as 192.168.1.0/24, usbnet as 192.168.2.0/24). It does *not* work as a modem device in this scenario (or at least not as a point-to-point connection).
I could probably try to use the same network, just with ip forwarding and routes setup properly, but for various reasons, I want the source nat to be present / active.