Active Topics

Notices

what is the difference technicly between a 3G video call, and using 3G for skype video or google chat video?

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by batman View Post
I'm not a techie.. so when i say it is possible to use the N900 for video calls I was just saying it is possible to use the N900 to make and recieve video calls using a program like skype or google chat.
Yes it is possible and easy to do since it is integrated into Maemo5.

All you have to do is setup your Skype or Google Chat account and as long as you have an internet connection, you will show as available to chat/video call and you will recieve video calls just like phone calls. If you add your friends Skype and Google chat info, there is an indicator that will show beside their name that will let you know if they are available for chat/IM or video call or even the option to make a call with Skype or GTalk.

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Venice, Italy
Originally Posted by batman View Post
what is the difference technicly between a 3G video call, and using 3G for skype video or google chat video?
A 3G video call is like a regular (voice) phone call: you can video call any (video capable) phone using the same phone number - ie no need for a google / skype /whatever account and no need to be logged in to make / receive calls.

The Following User Says Thank You to donaggio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Deaconclgi View Post
I use 3G video calls all the time. Sure you can say it is video chat, but the point is, I choose a contact, make a call that contains video over 3G. Technicalities will have people thinking that the above isn't possible on the N900. The other phones like the Sprint 4G and MyTouch 4G do the same thing, use a 3rd party app (Qik) to video call/chat. It just so happens that the N900s 3rd party apps are GTalk and Skype.
That's just plain wrong. Other phones don't use a 3rd party app. Video calling is part of the 3G standard, and whenever I select a contact on any of my 3G phones (except the N900), without additional software installed, I can select either voice or video call; I can also switch to video from a regular voice call.

The reason why it is important to make a clear distinction between 3G video calls and any other video chat system like Skype or Google Chat etc. etc is that with 3G video chat, it's "built in" and you can have a video chat with anybody you can call. The other person needn't have an account on the same system you are on. He/she doesn't need to be "online" (read: internet connection). The only requirement is a decent 3G phone (and, as I said, the N900 is the only case of 3G without video calls I came across in recent years)

So in case somebody wants to call you on 3G, they need to know nothing but your number. No registration with any service, no internet access, no need to check if you're online when they want to call you... just dial your number.

In all the cases you're thinking of (like Skype or Google Talk), the caller first would have to make sure to have an account on the same service. Then they'd need to find your account name, then they'd need to see if you're online at all - and finally there's a fair chance it still won't work because something in between blocks the ports. Yes, it does transmit streaming video. But it's a whole different concept.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
ok got ya now

speaking of which even an old N70 I have has video calls

The Following User Says Thank You to batman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
the N900 does not support video calling (3G type your referring to). Only GTalk and Skype video calls are allowed.
No. Also open standard SIP-based video calls are supported, like to and from ekiga.net subscribers and other VOIP/SIP providers.

I would suggest people would not support proprietary standards like Skype, but use the open ones (VOIP/SIP).

An Example:
You can make a free SIP account in ekiga.net.

Then configure your N900 in Setup/VOIP.
Put your ekiga.net SIP address there (seems like a email address)
In advanced settings Port 5060 (if necessary), and Search for STUN automatically.

You can make a test video loop call to address sip:500@ekiga.net

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
If you can send and recieve mms then it just means you can make a 3g video call also on n900. What makes mms and 3g calling different is that mms transfers data and you will be able to read that data upon complete transfer whilst on 3g video calling you recieve and read data realtime.

It's just no developer here on maemo find 3g videocalling useful to them to exert an effort on making one for the reason that it's just expensive. debbuging it would cost not only hardwork but money.

So if anybody wants 3g videocalls better train for some convincing powers and look for a good developer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
If you can send and recieve mms then it just means you can make a 3g video call also on n900. What makes mms and 3g calling different is that mms transfers data and you will be able to read that data upon complete transfer whilst on 3g video calling you recieve and read data realtime.
Is the underlying protocol the same? I had no idea. I always wondered how it really worked.... well, but not enough to dig up some documentation on this google machine.

That I don't know never tried developing for mobile applications... but maybe videocalling is through RTSP/RTP.

Edit:
And oh... This should help you a little

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Ti...aming_Protocol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-ti...sport_Protocol

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-11-04 at 16:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Radicalz38 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Atlanta
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
That's just plain wrong. Other phones don't use a 3rd party app. Video calling is part of the 3G standard, and whenever I select a contact on any of my 3G phones (except the N900), without additional software installed, I can select either voice or video call; I can also switch to video from a regular voice call.

The reason why it is important to make a clear distinction between 3G video calls and any other video chat system like Skype or Google Chat etc. etc is that with 3G video chat, it's "built in" and you can have a video chat with anybody you can call. The other person needn't have an account on the same system you are on. He/she doesn't need to be "online" (read: internet connection). The only requirement is a decent 3G phone (and, as I said, the N900 is the only case of 3G without video calls I came across in recent years)

So in case somebody wants to call you on 3G, they need to know nothing but your number. No registration with any service, no internet access, no need to check if you're online when they want to call you... just dial your number.

In all the cases you're thinking of (like Skype or Google Talk), the caller first would have to make sure to have an account on the same service. Then they'd need to find your account name, then they'd need to see if you're online at all - and finally there's a fair chance it still won't work because something in between blocks the ports. Yes, it does transmit streaming video. But it's a whole different concept.

That all makes sense. I was speaking in the context of the examples I gave: Sprint Evo 4G Mytouch 4G use Qik for video calls.

On the other hand my N82 and E73 can make video calls to any
number but my network does not support it. When I show my phones to people, all they care is which device can I contact someone and see them while I talk to them.

Yes, I was wrong. I accept that and thank you for the clarification..