Active Topics

Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by redhotfoo View Post
I want to improve the flashvideo performance - youtube works fine, but go and try zatto.com, you will see the n900 failing with 1-2 fps. justin.tv is also slow depending on the videobitrate. A higher CPU frequency would be the solution.
The solution is an optimised version of the Flash player from Adobe. They have been saying such a player is coming this quarter. Maybe it will be included in the 1.2 update (due in a week or two)!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by springah View Post
what? why not? you wouldn't like the slight speed boost to EVERYTHING? load times for Firefox?
I have the CPU status applet running. When I load pages into the browser and it takes some time, I see no CPU activity, or certainly not enough to believe that the slowdown is CPU bound. Incidentally it's the same on my N800. I don't believe the browser experience is very CPU bound. Possibly for flash, but the fix for that is the accelerated 10.x version.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
N900 becomes noticeably slower when you have around 4-5 apps open in the background. (Such as MicroB, media player etc) Frame rates drop during changing apps, what used to be fluid motion now stutters etc.

People need to understand that an application does not have to be CPU bound to benefit from faster clock cycles.
Everything that you do can become faster. Load times, calculating times.
Overall performance and smoothness of the OS / Apps will improve.

Well, I'm not saying I'll lock my phone at 1ghz for hours on end. That certainly won't go well. Especially heat wise.
But we all know how N900 clocks up and down when needed. Kernel does this already.
Right now, it clocks up to 600Mhz for seconds at a time during normal use whenever it's needed.
If we can make that ceiling a bit higher, say 800Mhz, the phone will become snappier.
But not lose any stability or greatly reduced lifetime. (unless you run apps which require 100% of cpu constantly)

What people are worried about is the worst case scenario of someone running their N900 at 800Mhz+ "locked" for hours on end.
I'm not about to run Seti on my N900. Even at 600Mhz.
But would like the "ceiling" to be higher for that extra oomph when needed. Even for a split second.

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
The equivalent cpu on beagleboard was reportedly not stable much beyond 700MHz, and beagle has better airflow than the N900 which has none...

In my experience most small stutters are cause by iowait, that would be helped with more ram probably. Same for youtube videos, try wait for them to fully load and then play. If it starts working ok it was probably the accesses to emmcthat slowed it down.

Last edited by shadowjk; 2010-02-20 at 12:49.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
is not really nobody here who can make it ? i will donate some money

I think what some are afraid of, is a program hitting dev repo that will give end users a way to really fry their devices.

We all think we're smart enough for all the dev apps, but honestly do you check the garage and read up on every little bit of the programs before you click install?

Worst thing that typiclly happens now, is that you fill up your root partition and complain about reflashing when you can't 'upgrade maemo 5'.

Worst thing that will happen is you will break your device forever with no one to blame but yourself.

2nd worst thing that will happen is that in 6-12 months, n900 users will all have failing devices and ***** and moan that nokia should fix it.

so i would still like that choice processor scaling like on my g1 need more push it uses it automatically and when not doing anything clocks down really low automatically and doesn't the arm CPU monitor the temperature it can give warnings,auto scale down or shutdown if programed correctly to do so

Last edited by superg05; 2010-03-14 at 05:41.

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I think Jakiman has the right idea but we have to get 100% solid proof that it won't fry the device, otherwise end users will think "speed boost, great!" then complain to nokia when it fries. :/

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
like n900fly it should be called n900fry and come with a disclaimer.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Better optimise the applications and the OS instead of overclocking the phone, its fast enough! Don't you understand that the software it the reason why flash is for example so slow on complex websites?

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom