Notices

Posts: 754 | Thanked: 630 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
EDIT : 22/01/2010
Ive discontinued this APP to make way for a more generic TravelApp HERE
so please check the other thread for the APP announcement as it might answer your queries.

cheers.

Hello folks

Ive just uploaded londontubeapp to the extras-devel repository.
I wanted to try out an example with the QT technology preview for maemo and thought creating this app might make it useful as well.

Its very basic at the moment and just displays the status of the tube lines and any additional info that tfl provides about the lines.

Ive used an API provided by www.tubeupdates.com to provide the data.
Its free to use.

Things Im planning to add
1. tube map viewer
2. routing

Known issues
1. the icon for some reason doesnt appear for the app. It appears as a blue button at the moment but it should be a simple fix.

Also to make you aware, there is already an app called tubes(created by convulted) that helps in routing.
I came across this while uploading to extras-devel. Its a very brilliant app for routing, but for some reason it didnt display the status of each line to me so in that sense the londonTubeApp might be useful and quick.

So that we dont have duplicate apps , I will be speaking to the developer so we can make a complete app that can be useful for the nomads(like me) who use the london tubes often

Ive seen this concern earlier with my QT widget, some of you , who havent installed QT apps before or related dependent libs, will notice a huge size for the app. Just be aware the app is very small and optified, the dependent QT libraries will be adding to the size of the download, and this is one time so the next time you download a QT app you wont need them again.

Note: I Will add some info to the wiki as well about hildonizing windows in QT.

As always, feedback/comments/suggestions are most welcome.
I humbly request you to keep the thread to discuss this app only so I can take it as a feedback thread to improve the app.

cheers,

Last edited by krk969; 2010-01-22 at 16:02.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to krk969 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
wow, this is great! I use the Tube on a day-to-day basis and this would be great for me, as it would be for many others I'm sure!

Check out this thread, I believe someone is already working on something similar:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34170

The Following User Says Thank You to Haus3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Hi, can you send me the link where your app is in Extras repository? Thanks

found another app similar to mine in extras ( mwTube written in python )
seems like a lot of tubegoers around

but IMHO it wasnt as finger friendly , I think thats where the Qt technology preview for maemo is going to help us for better app design, as it will be well integrated with hildon.

Last edited by krk969; 2010-01-12 at 12:15.

Originally Posted by MaemoGuy View Post
Hi, can you send me the link where your app is in Extras repository? Thanks
enable extras-devel repository ==> how to
goto app manager. click refresh.

You will find it under utilities section or you can search for it ( "londontubeapp" )

Last edited by krk969; 2010-01-12 at 12:18.

the icon is visible for the app when added as a desktop shortcut.
Dont know how I got it working. Seems like a manual start using the app menu did it.