Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by br4ndo View Post
Still nothing on FedEx, DHL, TNT or UPS or posti.fi. Jolla seem to ignore some countries/regions. Order no 5xx. AFAIK i will have to pay double VAT on my order on top of the waiting, first Finnish and then local. No reply from care either.
Not looking forward to the double VAT either =/

At least it's only an 8% penalty on top of the finnish VAT for me. I guess the Norweigan guys have it the worst with their 25%.

Last edited by ziller; 2013-12-16 at 19:52. Reason: missing word

Originally Posted by ziller View Post
Not looking forward to the double VAT either =/

At least it's only an 8% penalty on top of the finnish VAT for me. I guess the Norweigan guys have it the worst with their 25%.
There is no VAT when something is exported out of EU. It might be that Jolla is charging the same price to within EU including the Finnish VAT and to outside EU excluding VAT. That might look like a double VAT for EU outsiders, but in reality they are just charging a higher non-VAT price for EU outsiders (maybe to offset higher shipping costs, or they might not have realized intra-EU VAT implications when publishing the price).

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by rob_kouw View Post
Last Friday the status changed to "In Picking", today to "Shipped". Received the mail from Jolla with the shipment details today at 13:17. Today the phone was also delivered by Fedex in The Netherlands. Luckily someone was there to accept it: Fedex tries 3 times, and then sends it back to Finland. My tracking order was not displayed correctly in the mail: 7.97392E+11...

But... no more sorrows, it arrived in exactly 3 weeks from ordering. Now, let's play!
IS fedex representants stupid *****s or what? Can't they use a phone!?

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
IS fedex representants stupid *****s or what? Can't they use a phone!?
Seriously, they don't call? Every time I've got a UPS package inc they call a few hours before and ask if I'm available to accept it.

Posts: 97 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ switzerland
Originally Posted by IlkkaP View Post
There is no VAT when something is exported out of EU. It might be that Jolla is charging the same price to within EU including the Finnish VAT and to outside EU excluding VAT. That might look like a double VAT for EU outsiders, but in reality they are just charging a higher non-VAT price for EU outsiders (maybe to offset higher shipping costs, or they might not have realized intra-EU VAT implications when publishing the price).
The pre-order actually did have finnish VAT in it and I had to pay swiss VAT for the tshirt (not much luckily). Just checked the actual order though and the price I paid was €299 plus shipping. Is this the same as in-EU orders? If yes, then Jolla didn't remove the VAT, just marked it as zero ...which effectively means for me a double VAT.

Edit: €299 plus €100 preorder voucher of course.

Last edited by ziller; 2013-12-16 at 20:14.

I got the shirt delivered to Switzerland too, but didn't pay any VAT! Whenever my phone arrives I let you know what taxes they made me pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to caprico For This Useful Post:
Posts: 12 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Åland Islands, Finland
Originally Posted by IlkkaP View Post
Well they did not mention any other price than 399 including local taxes when i ordered. The difference in shipping costs is negligible so it implies that they weren't aware of the implications.

I do believe that I have shifted from obsessively refreshing the Jolla site to refreshing the Fedex site.

It's not as though I can make the plane (that I assume it is on) go any faster.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jaark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
I have to disagree. I have done some communication that have involved thousands or ten thousands people. It is always a challenge and takes plenty of time. You have to carefully balance what you can and should tell, how simple message, when, medium, check for ambiguities, not to restrict too much future options/decisions, and so on. Too much specifics and it causes problems. Too little and it causes other problems.
We don't disagree on communications being a balancing act. I never claimed otherwise.

I simply think Jolla failed in that balancing act this time - by being more upfront and providing more actual information I believe they would have been able to weather this storm with less badwill.

I know you don't think Jolla's rep was hurt, but others disagree and feel there was something relatively easy (such as a few more tweets on the actual progress of shipping) they could have done about it.

Originally Posted by att View Post
And when you say something, it will be torn apart by people when they are not happy for some reason.
And when you don't say something, that too will be torn apart.

It is a balancing act, finding the solution with the best overall results.

We are going in circles, the same aliases are cross-thanking each other depending on their "camp" and no further agreement seems to be acknowledged. Personally I think you guys are being a little harsh on not seeing anything more Jolla could have done, because in the end my suggestions are very mild (some more tweets?), but then again you probably think I'm harsh to expect more from Jolla.

I think Jolla dropped the ball on comms this time. I think Jolla would have been wise to be somewhat more open about the progress of the actual shipping process. I think they gut a little hurt in the process and I don't think tweeting more facts would have hurt them, but helped them instead.

You don't agree. That's fine.

Let's hope everyone gets their phones in short order.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epmt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by caprico View Post
I got the shirt delivered to Switzerland too, but didn't pay any VAT! Whenever my phone arrives I let you know what taxes they made me pay.
IIRC, EFTA works like the EU when it comes to VAT. This means that you only pay VAT in the country you buy from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europea...de_Association
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).