Posts: 391 | Thanked: 908 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ suncity
Originally Posted by xiskillo View Post
Can you share with us your Kali image chroot if its possible??
I use the one from here.

I made some tweaks to be able to use blue arrow keys (like easy debian) and installed/removed many things (see attached file (rename it to txt...) - st for example for terminal, i3 window manager instead of xfce or lxde; keybindings to be able to type hungarian characters, neovim for document processing, etc.). Some other configs are connected to my phone's content, so if you would like to use it you may want to modify some things/config.

I would happily share it but I do not know where to upload it; sadly I do not have any place (mediafire or dropbox or anything like that) to upload the image... If anyone know a place where no registration is required then I shall share it...
Attached Files
File Type: zip installed_packages_kali_jm.zip (130.5 KB, 52 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Posts: 88 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Spain
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
I use the one from here.

I made some tweaks to be able to use blue arrow keys (like easy debian) and installed/removed many things (see attached file (rename it to txt...) - st for example for terminal, i3 window manager instead of xfce or lxde; keybindings to be able to type hungarian characters, neovim for document processing, etc.). Some other configs are connected to my phone's content, so if you would like to use it you may want to modify some things/config.

I would happily share it but I do not know where to upload it; sadly I do not have any place (mediafire or dropbox or anything like that) to upload the image... If anyone know a place where no registration is required then I shall share it...

If you are so kind you can try http://www.filedropper.com (no need registration, only upload the file and share the link)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xiskillo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xiskillo View Post
If you are so kind you can try http://www.filedropper.com (no need registration, only upload the file and share the link)
Hmm... ok, it says "Sign up free" then I should use amazon pay... Am I missing something or I cannot just click and upload...

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Try https://wetransfer.com/
Thanks; will try from my laptop as soon as I got home...
Hahaha - from n900 I tried with:
- opera - browser is too old.
- Microb and chromium - cannot load the website.
From under kali:
- midori - browser is too old.
- links2 - does not work as it lacks java support...

That is at least 5 working browsers that cannot achive a task as simple as uploading a file... Now that means something...

But even on my working laptop it says "Cannot load some parts of the website" - tried with Explorer and Chrome (not alowed to use any other...).

Last edited by justmemory; 2017-03-27 at 08:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
It requires JS from wetransfer.com and wetransfer.net, but it does allow you to upload 2GB without registration, which is why I linked it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by justmemory View Post
Hmm... ok, it says "Sign up free" then I should use amazon pay... Am I missing something or I cannot just click and upload...
Really? I see "Sign up" all over but I have just uploaded a file without signing up.
(Note: I had no idea about that site's existence until 5 minutes ago.)

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
It requires JS from wetransfer.com and wetransfer.net, but it does allow you to upload 2GB without registration, which is why I linked it.
Yeah, thanks; I know... It is not about JS but this task connected to the thread title: even with 5 browsers installed I still cannot upload a simple file
Besides the compressed image is over 2 GB.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really? I see "Sign up" all over but I have just uploaded a file without signing up.
(Note: I had no idea about that site's existence until 5 minutes ago.)
Really

There is a space where it says "Missing plugin" - maybe it is flash, I don't know...
From my working laptop I'm not allowed to reach the website and from my n900 I cannot do the upload
So please be patient, in the evening I shall do it at home...

EDIT:// Had some network issue, will try again in the afternoon...
EDIT2:// Ok, I think the Universe does not want me to upload it... Now there is a power-cut at home so upload canceled... Trying, trying...

Last edited by justmemory; 2017-03-28 at 08:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post:
OK, here it is.

Some side notes before you go…:

- it is larger than 5 GB so I recommend copying it to a reformatted SD card – I created a ext3 partition on mine. The bigger the partition the more programs you are able to install…

- maybe you should untar it as root.

- there are some scripts that are meant to run kali in terminal or with i3. My kali image is on /media/mmc1p3 so maybe you should modify these scripts according to your kali image location. (There is a “bootkali” script – this remained from earlier; unnecessary, but I kept it)

- I have "sudo" and kernel-power installed; some of the scripts are using these. kaliwm sets CPU max to 1100 MHz so be careful! My n900 can handle this but maybe yours not... If you wish to reset to 600 MHz after quitting i3, just add the following line to the end of kali-i3 script: sudo kernel-config limits 250 600.

- if you wish to run a kali application from under Maemo then run: kalli the-program-that-you-want-to-run in osso-xterm.

- for terminal usage you should run the script named “kali” as root.

- for i3 you should run “kaliwm” but before doing that
- maybe you should install wmctrl on Maemo,
- modify some things in chrooted kali:
• for example the ~/.i3/config file – near the end of the file there is a line that randomly adds wallpapers at startup from my MyDocs folder so you should modify this line according to your needs.
• Btw. I recommend reading through this config file because it has many tweaks – keybindings (~/.xbindkeysrc has some tweaks too!) for example or status bar infos, etc. So getting familiar with these can spare you some headache (:

- if you do not like i3 just wipe it out and install xfce or lxde or openbox/fluxbox or anything you want…

- since I do not want to use this image as a dual boot but with chroot, I removed the modules folder completelyto get some space (I backed up this folder so in the future I can just copy it back…).

- there is a remapped keyboard config: /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51. This way I can type Hungarian characters easily with Shift+Up/Down/Left/Right arrow. Btw. “^” sign is Shift+Down arrow (twice) – it can be handy when using terminal…

- Basics…:
o I wanted to keep things as simple as possible so there are no fancy things installed that is why I chose i3 window manager. There are still several things that can be removed - and I removed those since I packed this image - but I thought maybe someone will need these.
o This image has st (simple terminal installed) as terminal emulator. If you are not familiar with it I recommend reading this. It uses Source Code Pro font with solarized theme and transparent background. If you would like to use something else then go to ~/st directory, make the needed changes in config.h then run command: make clean install.
o Midnight Commander has solarized theme too; just define something else in mc.ini if you wish to use something else.
o Using tor: sadly midori doesn’t have to option to set/use socks proxy and tsocks midori command doesn’t work either (at least for me…) so if you want to stay lightweight you should use links2: after running tor (or tor&) just type torlinks2 or if you want a “gui” then torxlinks2 – this will run links2 with the appropriate socks proxy settings (at least it is working for me but you can test it if you visit check.torproject.org). Alternatively you can install iceweasel but it is painfully slow…
o there is neovim installed too – not the up to date one; I didn’t try to update it from github but you can try. Sadly I couldn’t compile it from source because of the dependencies – libjemalloc always fails and I cannot figure out why… So this neovim and the libs it is depending on are from debian repo… But it is working as it should. I configured it to my needs – I use python so all configs are made according to this fact (pydiction, flake8, vulture, etc.). Config is: ~/.config/nvim/init.
o for video there is mplayer, for audio there is cmus.
o if you want to manage volume then type alsamixer – if you don’t hear anything search for HP DAC and set it other than 0 (:

Last edited by justmemory; 2017-03-29 at 07:48.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to justmemory For This Useful Post: