Active Topics

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, Texas
Here is a picture of the preproduction units they were giving away at the Maemo Summit.

Does your unit say N900 on the face or RX-51 on the package?

The box has that exact same NOT FOR SALE sign on it. As far as I can tell, RX-51 isn't written anywhere on it except on the sticker below the battery

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Is the computer not recognising the device at all? Are you selecting which mode you wish to be connected it? Your phone won't start charging until you do.

My experience is that if you choose 'mass storage mode' from the phone, it will install generic drivers and you'll be good. If you want pc suite mode, you need the very latestest version of pc suite for the drivers.

To find out whether it's a pre-production unit, simply check the firmware: menu > settings . about device: If you have version 1.2009.42.somemorenumbers then it's a production unit. The '42' guarantess it's the production firmware, not an early one.

The 'Not for sale' is probably because they have a bunch of them in various Nokia locations and it's to stop satff sneaking then out and putting them on ebay. Same as kellogs variety packs say 'not for individual sale'.

Originally Posted by krfkeith View Post
Hi!
I was liking my N900, but when I connected it to my computer, it wasn't recognized, so I thought rebooting it would help. However, the phone would not reboot, it would show the Nokia logo with the backlight for a few seconds then shut off. I figured it didn't have enough juice to start up, so I plugged it into the computer. What would happen then is that the phone would turn on and show the Nokia logo (without the backlight) and then turn off and back on. Sometimes the orange charging indicator light would be on, and others time it wouldn't be on. I thought that maybe the computer wasn't supplying enough power, so I several different chargers (one included, generic USB power adapter) and they all had the same problem. I then tried it with another computer, and had the same problem except that ocassionally the orange light would be on (always solid and not flashing) without showing the Nokia logo.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Any help would be appreciated!

-Kevin
Hey Kevin any luck m8 i got my brand new phone 1 hr ago and have exactly the same problem?

Tried phoning the helpline but its mega busy it never rains on me i get hurricane's lol

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 245 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern VA
Hey guys, I had the exact same problem yesterday, if you let the battery completely die before your charged it, you will have this issue. The N900 needs the os or sub-os running in order to charge. Yesterday my phone simply wouldn't charge. I left it on the charger overnight and this morning I unplugged it and plugged it back in I got a consistently glowing yellow led. I powered on the device and had the same nokia logo as the op. I held down the power button a few times and it booted up. Once it did this I noticed that even though it was on the charger all night it didn't pickup any of a charge, just enough to boot up I suppose. So try leaving it on the wall charger for a while, several hours, and hopefully it will catch enough to boot up and fully charge from there. Lesson to be learned never let this thing die without an external battery charger.

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Hey guys, I had the exact same problem yesterday, if you let the battery completely die before your charged it, you will have this issue. The N900 needs the os or sub-os running in order to charge. Yesterday my phone simply wouldn't charge. I left it on the charger overnight and this morning I unplugged it and plugged it back in I got a consistently glowing yellow led. I powered on the device and had the same nokia logo as the op. I held down the power button a few times and it booted up. Once it did this I noticed that even though it was on the charger all night it didn't pickup any of a charge, just enough to boot up I suppose. So try leaving it on the wall charger for a while, several hours, and hopefully it will catch enough to boot up and fully charge from there. Lesson to be learned never let this thing die without an external battery charger.
Did you get it running again tho m8? I'm rite f##ked off atm

Originally Posted by krfkeith View Post
Hi!
I was liking my N900, but when I connected it to my computer, it wasn't recognized, so I thought rebooting it would help. However, the phone would not reboot, it would show the Nokia logo with the backlight for a few seconds then shut off. I figured it didn't have enough juice to start up, so I plugged it into the computer. What would happen then is that the phone would turn on and show the Nokia logo (without the backlight) and then turn off and back on. Sometimes the orange charging indicator light would be on, and others time it wouldn't be on. I thought that maybe the computer wasn't supplying enough power, so I several different chargers (one included, generic USB power adapter) and they all had the same problem. I then tried it with another computer, and had the same problem except that ocassionally the orange light would be on (always solid and not flashing) without showing the Nokia logo.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Any help would be appreciated!

-Kevin

Have you tried charging it from a mains charger? I find that my n900 doesn't begin to charge from the pc via usb until I choose 'pc suite' and 'mass storage'. If you aren't being able to make that connection, it may not be charging. Try plugging it into the mains.

Try sliding the keyboard out and charging it.

Seriously.

I noticed one time trying to charge that it didnt start until I opened the keyboard. Its only happened once.

LOL wot difference will that make?

Tags
lack of quality control