Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Sounds to me they have made it delibrately really difficult to find out what's the most suitable/affordable plan and provider.
Smells like a cartel/collution to me!

Changing providers or data/voice plan is a breeze in Finland; for example when you switch to a different carrier you can keep your existing phone number if you want to.
Fortunately we do have phone number portability (for now) in the US. But every other part of customer service is generally awful. And yes, it's almost a sport among businesses to create the most deceptive and impenetrable pricing schemes possible.

BTW, I intentionally decided against keeping my old number. I could have kept it, but there are still advantages here to having a number local to the area you live in. Most of all though, getting rid of the previous number was advantageous because I kept getting bill collections robocalls for people I'd never heard of. And even the occasional human agent: "Well, do you know his new number," one live collector asked!

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Do you have prepaid SIM cards over there? I have never used any other! You can buy them in every supermarket, newsagent or petrol station and they are entirely anonymous.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Do you have prepaid SIM cards over there? I have never used any other! You can buy them in every supermarket, newsagent or petrol station and they are entirely anonymous.
I doubt that you can still buy anonymus prepaid cards in the US.

Even here in Europe, there are few countries that still sell prepaid cards, without asking for ID

The Following User Says Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Last time I bought prepaids (admittedly it's few years back) there was no funny business with ID's or anything. I just went to a local R-kioski (our ubiquous brand of news-stand/small-items/snacks type corner outlet) and bought a simcard.
I doubt it'd be pretty much like that today too.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
Even here in Europe, there are few countries that still sell prepaid cards, without asking for ID
Other countries being worse than the UK on citizens' privacy matters? That sounds almost hard to believe. Maybe it is time I went out and bought 20 SIM cards while I can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Other countries being worse than the UK on citizens' privacy matters? That sounds almost hard to believe. Maybe it is time I went out and bought 20 SIM cards while I can.
Hi.
Here in Spain you are also asked to 'register' to buy a prepaid card. The excuse being the terrorist attacks back in 2004. I got one back in 2014 and had to provide credentials.
BTW, I missed the last mighty N900 week: Are there any plans for the next one? I have finally found the required SIM adapter...
Regards.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by pasko View Post
Hi.
Here in Spain you are also asked to 'register' to buy a prepaid card. The excuse being the terrorist attacks back in 2004. I got one back in 2014 and had to provide credentials.
BTW, I missed the last mighty N900 week: Are there any plans for the next one? I have finally found the required SIM adapter...
Regards.
I would propose the Mighty Week to be in one of the folowing two weeks of December (week 50 or week 51).
Since the week should be from Monday to Sunday the next two weeks seem a good choice.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post: