Notices

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Two lines of thought from me:
  1. Donations don't work. I can assure you.
  2. What if Stellarium Mobile is kind of a wrapper around Stellarium? Or an improved repackaging (optimiized configs etc.)? The source for Stellarium is (was?) GPL and is also available as such, but if the original author "rewrote" the critical parts or optimized parts for the Mobile version that were originally his works anyway, it's not so easy anymore. Remember that the author of Stellarium Mobile is the main author of Stellarium (by a large amount)
And yes, I'm gonna buy it right now. Fantastic app.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
seriously 5NZD for this o.O that's is $3.76USD.
They should have made it $3 every where though currency isn't the same but every country have difference in term of payment.
damn, quite a bit of price difference. I paid US $1.6 (tax incl.) for the app. Its worth it. To my understanding; under GPL, every modified version has to be kept free too as long as its publically shared in some way. So If i am not wrong, Nokia and Fabien might be the one in violation here. Unless Dev. made this app from scratch by himself.

Posts: 376 | Thanked: 511 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Greece
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Wouldn't it be better for FOSS in the long run if everyone donated directly to programmers instead of through app stores where part of the price goes to a corporation?
While I'm a huge fan of FOSS and I won't buy stellarium until its source code becomes available (no matter what may happen in the future, currently it is GPL'd), I disagree with the above statement.

Allowing intermediates to get money is the incentive for having intermediates. Of course the author could accept payments by himself, but isn't it great that (e.g) paypal exists and makes transactions easier? IMO paypal actually increases the money a developer gets even if the developer pays a fee to paypal.

Same thing for repositories. Nokia for example could actually help developers in the effort to earn money from OVI. Developers of course may choose to accept direct contributions as well or make the program available for free. Even in that case, many people would buy from OVI store if it wasn't such a c%@p.

It would be better to not confuse "free beer" with "free speech". The benefits of opensource are far beyond the price. The true benefits include:
  • The ability for people without access to OVI store or credit card to get the program
  • The ability for people to debug and extend the program
  • The fact that if/when the current developer becomes mad (e.g. theo de raadt), the program won't be dead
  • The fact that if Nokia chooses to end support for N900, maemo.org could keep supporting it
etc...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to v13 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
there are no violations of selling it, but if it's GPL they need to provide code, that's all. as well stop crying about piracy, i think it's important to pay indie authors the price for their work, so if i need such application and i have choice to download/buy, i would buy. a lot of you think it's important for this up, than buy it, or you say it's harder for you to buy when you see the link for free download, than it's your own problem. As well author got price for the first place in contest, when most people offered free and opensource apps there. and i'm not sure if he put the program on OVI as Nokia by giving price had some copyrights on it or something like that. he also not provided the program for a long time after he won. (that as far as i know)

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I still don't get how, IF the application was GPL'ed, Matan's actions violate the GPL. The GPL insists that all software licensed under it, and all software developed from or based on the initial GPL'ed code, must be distributed with the same license, which gives an irrevocable right to obtain the source code, and modify and freely distribute the software, with or without modification, so long as you give the same rights and opportunity-to-acquire-source-code to everyone you distribute it to.
well, you explained in detail yourseld why simply re-distributing the binary of GPLed software is illegal: you may of course re-distribute the application, but only under certain conditions. if these conditions aren't met, it's illegal. matan and others explained in detail how the way ovi store distributes the application does violate the gpl. therefore, redistributing what the ovi store distributes can hardly be legal.

can someone tell me why the so-called free and mobile version which is available in extra devel is 42 MB and the full version which is not free is only 21 MB ?

The Following User Says Thank You to AgogData For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
I'll sum up.

Stellarium Mobile is way better.
I agree, Stellarium is a far more impressive program than my little orrery program. However, you might want to keep both - Stellarium constantly refreshes the screen, and chews up about 85% of the available CPU time. The orrery program only refreshes the sky view once per minute (because, the sky just doesn't change much faster than that), so the orrery will run down your battery much more slowly. If you're out in the country star gazing, that could be a plus.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
well, you explained in detail yourseld why simply re-distributing the binary of GPLed software is illegal: you may of course re-distribute the application, but only under certain conditions. if these conditions aren't met, it's illegal. matan and others explained in detail how the way ovi store distributes the application does violate the gpl. therefore, redistributing what the ovi store distributes can hardly be legal.
Hi benny1967, you don't know what you are talking about, thank you.

Originally Posted by AgogData View Post
can someone tell me why the so-called free and mobile version which is available in extra devel is 42 MB and the full version which is not free is only 21 MB ?
It's not a full version in ovi, it is an optimized version which have a lot of improvement in the interface.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Illinois, USA
If you guys really like the application, you should buy it from the Ovi store.

If you don't, the developer will be unable to continue to work on it.

Redistributing it for free is just being a douchebag.

The Following User Says Thank You to mmurfin87 For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpl pirate :)