Notices

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I'm not really taking feature requests until i get it working well enough to bother with features. Please wait until it has a thread of its own.

All of the configuration files are in .sdlmame/ in your home directory. There's also a script called sdlmame-start.sh in the app directory that has most of the flags. Currently it sets -autoframeskip, which will skip to keep at 100% speed as needed. Newest version is 0maemo3 i think. That's what the package page or app manager is for. :P
Thanks for speedy response!

1. I appreciate your process and look forward to the new thread

2. I updated to the new Maemo FW and checked last night but no updates showed for MAME. Perhaps I need to uninstall so it finds it again? NEVERMIND. Just tried it and it is updating now. Thank you! I remember having a refresh error last night. That was the problem.

3. Since you have set to autoskip- that is even better

Look forward to your updates! I am a game nut and have MAME on Dingoo, Tmo Dash, PSP, N-Gage, Dell Axim, G1 and Droid (when I had one). Your emulator is the first I have ever seen that plays a current MAME version.

You ROCK!

UPDATE: Great job again! A noted speed improvement for all tried and even better on others with version 3. Playable games with good framerates just increased a bunch

Funny how all portable emulators have trouble with Galaga 88. I look forward to that game playing smooth on the N900 one day and agree with the 135 mameset approach. Easier to find roms and works with more games

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-13 at 19:41. Reason: Item "2." change

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
I think my last post could have been worded a little better.

I meant to say that a .jpg screenshot image of an arcade game, in some cases, is actually bigger in byte size than the game/rom file itself.

To me, that just wobbles my brain on how that is even possible.

It's a tribute to the extreme economy of programming back then (assembler and lots of hackish tricks). I'm just fine with gcc and bloated libraries thankyouverymuch.
You might want to consider rewording what you said as well since I haven't a clue what the heck you're talking about here.

I've never tried uploading for Diablo. It's just never really occurred to me that it might work. You seem happy with Xmame but i'll try it with my other ports next time, ok?
So all I have to say is, "ok?" on this?

ok?

Anyone updated to new Maemo version?. It looks like there are graphics performance improvements and this could help SDLMame a bit

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
Anyone updated to new Maemo version?. It looks like there are graphics performance improvements and this could help SDLMame a bit
I wish i had thought to do a before and after benchmark. I was more concerned about it messing with oprofile and didn't think about it. It's sorta irrelevant because everyone is going to be updating sooner or later, but it would have been interestin to see. In any case it was a small change, if any at all.

Addison: Anunakin seems intent on compiling SDLMAME for diablo so ...

Rushmore: man, i think they have self-help groups for that.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

I just updated Maemo, had to redownload my apps again including SDLMame (I used Nokia Updater on my PC). It doesn't feel faster in the only ROM that I have installed right now (Wonder Boy), it looks like those performance enhancements are small.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post
I just updated Maemo, had to redownload my apps again including SDLMame (I used Nokia Updater on my PC). It doesn't feel faster in the only ROM that I have installed right now (Wonder Boy), it looks like those performance enhancements are small.
Haha this is what i get for checking T.M.O before i'm awake. I thought you were talking about PR1.0.1 because i hadn't seen the announcement for PR1.1 yet. The enhancements to GL ES in PR1.1 aren't likely to have any effect on SDLMAME because it doesn't use GL ES, at least not yet. (I have yet to profile the app since discovering the YUV overlay option, so i don't know yet where the most benefit would be gained.)

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Yeah, the 1.1 is what I was talking about hehe. Do you think SDLMAME would be faster using GL ES?.

I have tried some more games with different results:

- Bubble Bobble, works well and fast
- Ghost and Goblins, same, it works very well
- Shinobi (LOVE this game!!), lots of sound hiccups and it runs slow

Last edited by LordJuanlo; 2010-01-14 at 16:40.

Haha this is what i get for checking T.M.O before i'm awake. I thought you were talking about PR1.0.1 because i hadn't seen the announcement for PR1.1 yet. The enhancements to GL ES in PR1.1 aren't likely to have any effect on SDLMAME because it doesn't use GL ES, at least not yet. (I have yet to profile the app since discovering the YUV overlay option, so i don't know yet where the most benefit would be gained.)

I know you want this type of stuff when MAME gets it's own thread (when is that? ) But here are some results since updating to your newest 0meamo3 version:

The following very brief sample play great amongst many more:

Mr Do
Dig Dug
Jungle King
Gaplus
Galaga
Pacman
Block
Vulgus
Side Pocket
Atari Tetris
Astro Force
Aurail
Bubble Bobble
Bomb Jack
Zaxxon
Cameltry
Aerofighters
DonDonPachi

Examples that do not play well:

1. Galaga 88
2. Pacmania
3. Galaxian
4. Most Neo Geo games

This must be a driver issue, since more complex games play well and Neo Geo games play well on the G1 and Droid (but only plays MAME 34b /35 and Final Burn). I have complete confidence based on Flandry's progress already that the N900 will have the best MAME experience of all current devices.

I have tried no HD based games, but all others I have tried work and I have tried several hundred so far. About 60% play well on the current build. For MAME 135, that is amazing progress so soon.

MAME 135 on a phone sized device. Wild in a good way

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-01-14 at 17:32.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Haha this is what i get for checking T.M.O before i'm awake. I thought you were talking about PR1.0.1 because i hadn't seen the announcement for PR1.1 yet. The enhancements to GL ES in PR1.1 aren't likely to have any effect on SDLMAME because it doesn't use GL ES, at least not yet.
The update will have quite an impact on fullscreen applications that were not setting the uncomposited flag, though.

Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
The update will have quite an impact on fullscreen applications that were not setting the uncomposited flag, though.
I tried some from my list of MAME games that were not playing smooth and they still perform the same after update. Would have been great if it did help though. Still, Flandry is off to a great start!

Perhaps this flag issue is more for games made for the N900?