Poll: I think it's a good idea. I want this app.
Poll Options
I think it's a good idea. I want this app.

Yah, I know there are quite a few here in extra-devels, but nothing really works for me well enough. So, finally I have decided to put my fingers down and code an SMS and Call blocker.

Just wanted to know if you guys are interested enough, for me to learn QT and build the interface and what features you would like for version 1.

Here's what I am planning to do:

1. One integrated app for SMS and Call blocking.
2. Block calls and SMS based on whether they are from your contacts or not.
3. Black lists and white lists with wild card support (*) to do something like (+1*) to block all calls from US, for example.
4. Block all SMS+Calls (Do not Disturb)

Let me know if you have any ideas. Also, I would like some name suggestions for the app.

Update:
Started the work.. expect an alpha/beta release by the end of July.

Last edited by Power; 2011-06-25 at 06:04.

The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Useful Post:
Posts: 800 | Thanked: 957 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ India
+1 this. But also, could you include call answering machine to play a recorded message/ and record caller's message.

My apps for N9:
LockScreenQuotes
USbS

If you feel I have helped you, don't forget to press Thanks!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ejasmudar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ejasmudar View Post
+1 this. But also, could you include call answering machine to play a recorded message/ and record caller's message.
I did think about this but I wanted to keep the app simple for the first version. It can be done easily with out recording it on the device though, because when the app rejects the call it can be sent to your voicemail, where your network operator can play and record the message

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sweden
That'd be great! Yesterday I was wondering about how to disable the phone function but still keep the ability to use 3g/2g internet. Maybe this is the answer

Edit: And the ability to send an incoming sms straight to converstions without the yellow flasher would be nice. A feature I've missed for a while now

Last edited by datjomp; 2011-06-22 at 07:21.

That will be a very useful App.

Suggestion for V2: How about possibility to play a certain file for a caller? Caller gets identified by id. Phone accepts call and plays the audio file. Super nice if it could record an answer. Just dreaming out lod.

not only that but also offer blocking by other criteria
a) if i'm in a meeting (so only important people will be allowed to get through to me)
b) based on time e.g. at night - no calls and no SMSes (unless it's someone important)
c) if i'm roaming - no calls and no SMSes (unless it's an emergency number)

etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
have you already found out the best method to block sms/voice call?

since up till now, i found nicolai's the best, but still it's not without limitation. i hope you can make one better than his though

Thank you for looking at this Power. I've tried most of the call blocker programs in the repos and you're right, none of them are perfect.

I get on quite well with Crochiks MyContacts, but although it is supposed to have the facility to block calls where the number is withheld, this never seems to work properly for me.

I'd like you to consider adding a feature to block calls where the number is either unknown or withheld in addition to phonebook numbers and black/white lists.

A register of blocked calls within the interface would be handy too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew_b For This Useful Post:
would love something like this

Thank you guys for your suggestions and support.

@datjomp: Never thought of such an use. Awesome

@Andrew_b: That's a good idea. As I see it, 'Unknown' callers won't be in your addressbook, so they should be blocked by default, when the app is running in that mode. In addition I will add in support for Unknown numbers in the blacklist if you want to accept all calls/sms except the one's in blacklist.

@figaro: Yes. I think I did

@droll: Great ideas! Had thought of providing time based activation myself, but moved it to version 2 as currently, using'Alarmed' you could set it to activate based on time. Profile based and Roaming based activation is an interesting idea, I would definitely try to do it now, or maybe in v2.

@yellowjacket: Caller based tunes are already supported by Crochik MyContacts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Useful Post: