Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
How quick a thread can be derailed.
(The original post was about the Cloud WiFi service in Europe)

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by twaelti View Post
International community, and thus far there doesn't seem to be much discussed about that particular service. Being able to use WiFi hotspots for free (or as part of a subscription) is just as well a point made by TS.

lol. Welcome to the internet, home to hords of people suffering from attention deficient...ooo, shiny!

But yeah, I agree with allnameswereout, local free wifi is just as much a part of the whole cloud thing as anything else is. The idea behind cloud computing is being able to go anywhere and still access your stuff regardless what internet service you login to, be it at McD's or some mom and pop store.

Case in point, I was going to class last night and realized I had forgotten to bring along my powerpoint presentation for class. Well, since my home mail account syncs to my Gmail account, I simply logged into Gmail, opened the email I had been sent with the presentation, and then downloaded the presentation to the desktop. That right there is a perfect example of where cloud computing comes in handy. And I was able to do it right from school.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
Here in the UK (and parts of Europe) we have a Public WiFI network called The Cloud. [...] But i tried it today with my NIT (MicroB), and no log in screen, just straight to the web. Any site in my favorites, plus uncached ones too.
Have you done any of the following:
  • Installed Boingo Mobile or Cloudscape?
  • Changed your user agent?
  • Installed any other web browsers (although you do say you're using microb, let's just rule them out too ;-)

Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Have you done any of the following:
  • Installed Boingo Mobile or Cloudscape?
  • Changed your user agent?
  • Installed any other web browsers (although you do say you're using microb, let's just rule them out too ;-)
No other browsers currently installed, though heat and fennec have both been on here in the past. no boingo, cloudscape, devicescape. i'm using the safari agent script, but have no idea if fanboys have the login screen.

Hmm, a while back you could mask as the iPhone's safari browser to use the WiFi points at AT&T (like I pointed out earlier). So maybe "The Cloud" has something similar and your Safari spoofing makes it think your an iPhone?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by ukjeeper View Post
i'm using the safari agent script
Have you got a specific link? The following would seem relevant and may explain it:

http://www.pocketpicks.co.uk/latest/...pots-for-free/

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA

Yup, I know what ya mean...
When I first read ukjeeper's post I thought it may have been a result of a lazy admin. I also realized he didn't mention what version of the OS he was running and that can make a difference...

Anyway, when I got back to this thread it seamed to be more about fast food in the US, LoL.

BTW, free WiFi may finally become pervasive now that the economy has tanked.

Rather than how it was looked at before (2 to 3 years ago) as the cost of a broadband connection plus the network... many businesses now have a broadband connection for their day to day. WiFi is just a cheap add on that can attract dwindling customers.

Hell, where I get my oil changed is determined by the WiFi connection.

FreeWifi is a great way to draw in customers when business is otherwise low.