Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
For those in the UK looking for a network to use with their N900s (you lucky so and so's!), giffgaff launches tomorrow (25th November).

giffgaff is a community led MVNO. It's sort of run by O2. It promises competitive packages and community rewards. Apart from the stupid name, it seems like it could be a good mix with the maemo mindset.

giffgaff website.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Take a look at this bit:

In fact, when we launch, data will be free. Honestly, that’s because we won’t have had time to build the bit of our backend system to charge for it, and yet we don’t want to launch without data - so we thought we’d just let you have it. All we ask is that you don’t take the mickey, and that you do give something back by topping up, making calls, answering some questions, doing some marketing etc.

Data won’t be free forever. It can’t. We won’t stay in business very long if we just give stuff away! We will have to charge for it, once we can. So again, we’d like your views on what’s a fair and simple way of charging. Price per Mb? Price per day? Unlimited with a certain level of monthly top-up? Or something else?

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 208 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ London
Looks good, signed up when they first announced it.

Cant say it will do you much good in the south east on the N900 as its on the O2 network unless they give it QoS.

Cheeky, I know. But if anybody orders a SIM, mention my username (xmob). Cheers.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
I couldn't tell from the website if it does 3G data or HSPA data ("3.5G").
Does it? What speed?

It sounds like a nice stopgap until I can use my Three SIM, which will be cheaper but perhaps only because my partner is also on Three and we both got excellent deals which are no longer available :-)

It is my understanding that giffgaff will also support HSDPA. I will attempt to get a definitive answer.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Looks good, signed up when they first announced it.

Cant say it will do you much good in the south east on the N900 as its on the O2 network unless they give it QoS.
Or simply ban the iPhone from use - lets hope Nokia win the case against Apple and they have to turn off the GSM stack! LOL

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ West Kirby, UK
I wonder what they call "taking the mickey" with regards to data usage?

The blog seems to suggest 100MB/day I could live with that if confirmed.

3Gb a month (which is roughly 100Mb a day) is what has recently been quoted.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kingston-Upon-Hul, UK / Le Mans, FR
Have you use the N900 with the giffgaff sim card yet xmob?
Seems intresting for data...