Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
If this rumour is true and they spent the last two years on a smart watch instead of fixing bugs and implementing missing features then I am really disappointed. They are on a runaway train towards a failure and they fully deserve it. Pity.
Based on the video interview, porting SFOS to smart watch did not take 2 years. They suggest that it was easy and fast to do.

This is the impression I got from the video.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peccelius For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peccelius View Post
Based on the video interview, porting SFOS to smart watch did not take 2 years. They suggest that it was easy and fast to do.

This is the impression I got from the video.
Most of the work was done by Kido for the AsteroidOS project. All jolla would have done is create the main UX, and since asteroidos uses Lipstick which jolla is well versed with, that wouldn't have been that difficult.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Yeah... No one needs a smart watch. No one even wants a smart watch...
I honestly dislike it when grown ups tell other grown ups what they do and do not want without consulting with them. It's a real life pet peeve of my own.

Here's the problem with that potentially limited and myopic view of the world.

You're missing use cases where those devices do have a use. Healthcare alone would be the biggest application where right now Apple and Google are making inroads simply due to how easy they've made it. All of that health data is now in the hands of Google and Apple. Do you trust it?

Or could a hospital system, healthcare provider simply create a system of wearables that monitor a person's movement, intake and perhaps even location and do so with zero output to any other corporation or agency than the ones they decide need to know.

Wearables are quirky, most young people do not even want to wear a watch. So be it. But to dismiss without full assessment is folly.

There's other use cases that I work on daily that have actually opened my mind to the world of wearables. Even having the ability to use your wearable as the centralized trust provider for all of your devices and it uses some form of biometric confirmation that you're alive and wearing the watch (easily defeatable at this moment, but it's all new tech at this moment) means that your phone, your computer, your car, your house, your devices all require a simple trust that starts from the device on your wrist.

It's far from perfect, but it's a hell of a lot better than saying "you don't want, nobody wants" when honestly; you don't know what people want at all.

I remember when people stated that nobody wanted mobile Linux on devices.

How did that work out?

Carry on...

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chrm View Post
So if you are unhappy, stop crying, move your *** and implement them right!
If anything, that kind of "advice" only adds to the frustration. I did not buy a DYI kit, I bought a product. I want that product to work. I may put up with deficiencies like that - in fact, I do not even use CalDAV - but I am a minority. Your Joe Average will look at an unfinished product and simply turn away.

Sailfish is the last available OSS mobile system. To badmouth it is easy, to support it is harder.
There are so many things wrong with that statement that it is hard to choose where to start. I did not say a single bad word about Sailfish. I said it about Jolla. And support? "You are doing great, everything you do is perfect, you are the best!", versus, "Now that was a bit silly, wasn't it?" Which one is more useful?

And please, stop talking stuff like "No one wants.. No one needs..." if you really mean: "I don't want, I don't need".
I stand corrected. "Not a large enough subset of the already dwindling number of Sailfish users need/want..." Better?
Yes, I assume there that only existing Jolla customers would consider buying one, an assumption that I am willing to bet money on is correct.

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-12-01 at 15:54.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
And support? "You are doing great, everything you do is perfect, you are the best!", versus, "Now that was a bit silly, wasn't it?" Which one is more useful?
How about "Let me show you how it could be done?" instead?

No need to be defensive in a thread about a smart watch. That's to all sides. I'm sorta happy to see that Jolla has at least thought about it.

Now, let's see if it will happen.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How about "Let me show you how it could be done?" instead?
Yeah, tried that. It worked

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Yeah, tried that. It worked
Nice. Then your prior answers should have presented that as opposed to "I know what's best and you don't want this" type of Steve Jobsian response perhaps?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I use tablet for everything, reading the newspapers also, not the mobile version , but the full identical to printed one- version . Handles really good for Helsinginsanomat and aamulehti. Big enough screen to use webpages for desktop , if selecting desktop agent from opera.

Only thing missing is fixed keyboard. And yes update after update this is better, This id flexible , no update etc . hassle like android, Good display. Battery life ..... well, external powerpacks exists

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to feedme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
It only took them 1 year after i gave the "advice" here.
chr chr chr

I still love my pebble btw.
Notifications are the best feature, though spam is even more annoying to get notified for, then to only actually recieve it, once.

If there is one device that is capable to still grow in market by taking advantage of advancing technology, its smartwatches or wearables in a whole.
Even Apples attempted is halfe arsed as of yet because it lacks technological basis. Maybe sufficiantly powerfull watch hardware will be available in the next years.

Until then, Pebble is my favourite for building theyr limited cheap hardware to get few nice and fleshed out features on spot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Though if some rumors are to be believed fitbit is buying Pebble and phasing out the brand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post: