Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not a fan of the device look (love the specs though), but if it can be skinned, it's at least at Android Gingerbread levels at a 1.0 release - mostly due to the Touchwiz sourced imagery, the notifications drop down and a few other things I've seen so far.

But it's a start. I've gotta come up to speed on the SDK first to comment more than just what I've seen.

Sorta cool. Didn't surprise me like Harmattan did though.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I've heard that Tizen talks/tech shows (on Linux embedded conference in San Francisco) were quite pathetic/boring/lacking anything innovative. It also apply to device in question :/
So, you're telling us that it was run by serious people with under-the-hood knowledge of the software, instead of marketing clowns with bling and hypnotoad knowledge...

...and that is supposed to be a bad thing, somehow?

As long as Intel is involved, I'm less than optimistic that it'll ever come something concrete out of this... But it's still a chance for this. Meltemi on the other hand, I bet it's going to be pretty locked down as it's supposed to replace S40. Not holding my breath there.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Meltemi on the other hand, I bet it's going to be pretty locked down as it's supposed to replace S40. Not holding my breath there.
Isn't Meltemi just S40 or Symbian phone?

Nokia 306
http://www.mediafire.com/?y0s7k6zgsizwhof

It has "Java" but not "GPL" in the Licensees section, so it wouldn't have anything to do with Linux, page 41/42.

Meltemi is Nokias chosen tool to bring internet to the next billion users. I.e., it's a phone OS. With internet. For people who doesn't yet have internet access. In other words, people with no money.

Wiki: "Meltemi is reported to be a MeeGo Linux-based smartphone operating system designed by Nokia for low-cost mobile devices, to replace the Symbian OS smartphone and S40 feature phone operating systems."

It says "MeeGo Linux". Most sources only say Linux and doesn't say MeeGo, if I'm not mistaken. Frankly, I am pretty darn certain that it'll NOT be MeeGo compatible. More likely it'll be nicked "Maemo/Meltemi" than MeeGo.

Last edited by volt; 2012-05-09 at 20:09.

Meltemi is Nokias chosen tool to bring internet to the next billion users. I.e., it's a phone OS. With internet. For people who doesn't yet have internet access. In other words, people with no money.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Nokia+306+Meltemi

To me it seems like rumors about Melemi being based on Linux are false.

You're the one linking to rumors. Device rumors are never true. :g

Anyway, those pages also stated "Linux", so I don't know where you have it from. I was watching the Nokia broadcast when they introduced the "next billion" concept, and as far as I knew, there wasn't any controversy around it Linux-ness?

You're the one linking to rumors. Device rumors are never true. :g

Anyway, those pages also stated "Linux", so I don't know where you have it from. I was watching the Nokia broadcast when they introduced the "next billion" concept, and as far as I knew, there wasn't any controversy around it Linux-ness?
http://www.mediafire.com/?y0s7k6zgsizwhof'
Well if that leaked draft manual about Nokia Asha 306 is correct, I would think it says "GPL" in the License section and not would mention "Java" license, if it would be Linux based.

As far as I can see, there's no GPL mention in the N9 or N900 user guide either.

This is from the C2-01 user guide:
1 Select Phone > Phone updates .

2 To display the current software version and check whether an update is available, select Current sw details.

3 To download and install a software update, select Downl. phone sw. Follow the instructions.

4 If the installation was cancelled after the download, select Install sw update.
This is from the 306 user guide:

1 Select phone > device updates.
2 To display the current software version and check whether an update is available,
select current sw details.
3 To download and install a software update, select downl. phone sw. Follow the
displayed instructions.
4 If the installation was cancelled after the download, select install sw update.
And it also has the Java notice. Looks to me like it's the same OS. Not Meltemi.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
So, you're telling us that it was run by serious people with under-the-hood knowledge of the software, instead of marketing clowns with bling and hypnotoad knowledge...

...and that is supposed to be a bad thing, somehow?

As long as Intel is involved, I'm less than optimistic that it'll ever come something concrete out of this... But it's still a chance for this. Meltemi on the other hand, I bet it's going to be pretty locked down as it's supposed to replace S40. Not holding my breath there.
My thoughts exactly - conference in the USA, where people are mostly Android and iPhone lovers (no offence) - did anyone really expect these people to say that a foreign company wanting to produce device using not-American OS is cool? And, besides, if Android and iOS fanboys say it's boring and not-innovative (and, in the meantime they say that Apple with it's iPads etc. is innovative), it's rather a compliment for Samsung

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
wish the first device to be TIZEN NOTE

God forbid.
I certainly wouldn't want it that size. Be like walking around with a sheet of shuttering ply, not to mention a mugger magnet.

My sister boasted 6 days ago that she now has a Samsung Note and that I should dump my piece of outdated Nokia crap and get one.
She had it snatched out of her hand by a bunch of jerks in the multi-story car park. Unless I'm using it, my piece of outdated Nokia crap stays snuggly out of site in my pocket.