Hey guys, I am going to have to put my Nokia N900 to rest pretty soon. It just isn't working out for me anymore (I am sure a lot of you guys understand, the N900 will always hold a very special place in my heart).

When the first iPhone came out I purchased it, and returned it 4 days later. I am NOT an Apple fan. But I am having some problems...

This is what I would love:

-Dual core @ 1GHz (let's be honest, quad core phones are going to be out by Q4)
-Android 4.0
-Full QWERTY
-Resolution & Camera as good as iPhone 4S

However I don't think there is such a beast out there, let alone coming ANYTIME SOON. So when looking at competitors the iPhone 4S wins over the Samsung Galaxy S II (Gingerbread still) in terms of camera quality, screen resolution, and newer OS. And I will be honest - I have plaid around with Siri and it could quite possibly make up for the lack of a psychical keyboard, to an extent.

Also with the new iCloud I don't have to deal with crappy iTunes (to the best of my understanding). And let's be honest - it will be "jailbroken" before I even use it.

Am I missing something? I need to upgrade, the N900 is just not fast enough, camera quality is not there, and since I have AT&T I am always using 2.5G (that's how much I loved you N900!)

I don't know how much longer I can wait... please give me your input guys!

iPhone 4S Cons:

#1 It's an iPhone
#2 It does not have a QWERTY keyboard
#3 I rather spend a night in a Mexican prison than an hour with an "Apple Genius"
#4 It does not have voice guided navigation like Android does.
#5 It does not have a removable battery.
#6 It is not an open OS and not nearly as cool as Maemo but almost rivals Android...
#7 No Flash

Last edited by xxxxts; 2012-02-29 at 05:00.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
galaxy note, captivate glide, sgs2, or maybe nexus

p.s sgs2>iP4s(my opinion)

Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Hey guys, I am going to have to put my Nokia N900 to rest pretty soon. It just isn't working out for me anymore (I am sure a lot of you guys understand, the N900 will always hold a very special place in my heart).

When the first iPhone came out I purchased it, and returned it 4 days later. I am NOT an Apple fan. But I am having some problems...

This is what I would love:

-Dual core @ 1GHz (let's be honest, quad core phones are going to be out by Q4)
-Android 4.0
-Full QWERTY
-Resolution & Camera as good as iPhone 4S

However I don't think there is such a beast out there, let alone coming ANYTIME SOON. So when looking at competitors the iPhone 4S wins over the Samsung Galaxy S II (Gingerbread still) in terms of camera quality, screen resolution, and newer OS. And I will be honest - I have plaid around with Siri and it could quite possibly make up for the lack of a psychical keyboard, to an extent.

Also with the new iCloud I don't have to deal with crappy iTunes (to the best of my understanding). And let's be honest - it will be "jailbroken" before I even use it.

Am I missing something? I need to upgrade, the N900 is just not fast enough, camera quality is not there, and since I have AT&T I am always using 2.5G (that's how much I loved you N900!)

I don't know how much longer I can wait... please give me your input guys!
I don't think it exists. The closest thing I could get to your requirements is a Sony (Ericsson) Xperia Pro. It has a full qwerty, a planned upgrade to 4.0 and an 8MP camera with an Exmor R sensor. I think Sony make the same camera for Apples 4S. The thing it's missing is a dualcore. it only has a snapdragon 1Ghz scorpion.

Also, take a look at the Nuu Minikey or Boxwave for the iphone which might be an option.

Last edited by Cue; 2012-02-29 at 05:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:
wasnt a new motorola droid with a full qwerty just released?

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
wasnt a new motorola droid with a full qwerty just released?
I don't believe that works on AT&T's frequencies. Can anyone confirm?

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Why not an N9? It's quick enough without a dual core and my N900 looks positivley pedestrian in comparison.

I too wanted a full keyboard but after 3 days using Swype the need has gone. Give it a try.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 45 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Finland - Home of Nokia & Linux
I recommend to buy a nokia N9. For you it's easy to move from N900 to N9. Like bockersjv said " It's quick enough without a dual core" and that's true. N9 has very smooth user interface. I could not use any other phone right now than my N9.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Certainly you should get rid of that piece-of-junk N900. I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands for $100. Just send me a PM and we can arrange the transfer. My current N900 is lonely and needs companionship...

Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
Why not an N9? It's quick enough without a dual core and my N900 looks positivley pedestrian in comparison.

I too wanted a full keyboard but after 3 days using Swype the need has gone. Give it a try.
The specs aren't impressive and it's a still-birth OS. And even if it wasn't - this is one of the few OSes that could REALLY befit from a dual core processor. MeeGo is dead, and frankly to me - not nearly as impressive as Maemo (which was mostly due to this amazing community).

To sum up why no on the N9: Dead OS, single core processor (vs iPhone's dual core), 251ppi (vs iPhone's 330ppi), 720 video (vs iPhone's 1080), and I don't think it is sold in the states with a warranty.

I really wish that this device was better, with a living OS - it would be real nice to see me proven wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post: