I keep getting that error when Maemo tries to install a update that it noticed today. "OS2008 Feature Upgrade" "Updates to Email and Browser stability."

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by legoman666 View Post
I keep getting that error when Maemo tries to install a update that it noticed today. "OS2008 Feature Upgrade" "Updates to Email and Browser stability."
Stay away from it!!!

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Oulu, Finland
Stay away from it!!!
Care to elaborate why?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by emjayes View Post
Care to elaborate why?
It can make your system un-upgradeable without (apparently) any means of undoing it other than a complete reflash (which is ironic, as this upgrade was supposed to make reflashing redundant). There is no warning other than that your tablet doesn't reboot at the end of the "upgrade" and it's impossible to say what will trigger this bug.

Of course, because this doesn't happen to the majority of users, it's officially not a bug and you're supposed to remain very schtumm about it. Well, that's at least what I got from a Nokia dude's post...

So, the question is: Do you like playing Russian roulette?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
It can make your system un-upgradeable without (apparently) any means of undoing it other than a complete reflash (which is ironic, as this upgrade was supposed to make reflashing redundant). There is no warning other than that your tablet doesn't reboot at the end of the "upgrade" and it's impossible to say what will trigger this bug.

Of course, because this doesn't happen to the majority of users, it's officially not a bug and you're supposed to remain very schtumm about it. Well, that's at least what I got from a Nokia dude's post...

So, the question is: Do you like playing Russian roulette?
Nokia dude? Are you referring me? Just for your record that I'm not in Nokia payroll...

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Nokia dude? Are you referring me? Just for your record that I'm not in Nokia payroll...
Sure. Whatever you say...

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hum ...

The only problem is that repository was down at a certain time ... and rumors ...

I managed to half-brick my n810. Thanks to Penguinbait's clone-to-sd and Fanoush's initrd menu I'm back up though limping a bit.

I only tried that because it had dozens of other things (like microb-engine, map) that it refused to upgrade though the installed version was the one listed in the "problems/dependency" panel.

Originally Posted by Khertan View Post
Hum ...

The only problem is that repository was down at a certain time ... and rumors ...
No, that would have been too easy. It was most certainly up when I "updated"; it simply refused to install after download, apparently because the upgrade mechanism was conceived by a dumbass who forgot that people tend to install software on their tablets.