Active Topics

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You might build a kernel that is usable with a hacked version of Harmattan where in addition of the normal aegis-neutering you need to remove quite a lot of stuff from the OS that uses the aegis interfaces in kernel (or you could port back those as dummy interfaces to the 3.x.x kernel... I have not tried that.)

There are precompiled binaries but none of the abovenmentioned stuff of course exists in those so you need to roll your own.

Building the kernel is pretty straighthtforward, on a debian based linux you need to install ARM cross-compilation tools (but no scratchbox et al is needed), for example "apt-get install gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi"

Then get the source via git pull or download the zips from github.
(https://github.com/nemomobile/kernel-adaptation-n950-n9)

Compiling is fairly simple when you have the source tree correctly set up;
  • 1.) do your modifications to source and configuration files
  • 2.) configure the options; "make clean; make mrproper; ARCH=arm make rm696_nemo_defconfig" ## this is for the base configuration
  • 3.) "ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make"
  • 4.) "ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi- make modules_install"
  • 5.) copy modules to device, do not forget to "depmod -a <mod_dir>"
  • 6.) flash the beast to your device
1, ARCH=arm make rm696_nemo_defconfig" Can't find default configuration "arch/arm/configs/rm696_nemo_defconfig", missing some procedure?
2, can this kernel loaded by ubiboot?

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gemfield View Post
1, ARCH=arm make rm696_nemo_defconfig" Can't find default configuration "arch/arm/configs/rm696_nemo_defconfig", missing some procedure?
2, can this kernel loaded by ubiboot?
1.) if you take a standard source tree you need to create a matching configuration. Take a look in the Nokia Harmattan PR1.3 kernel tree in directory arch/arm/config for clues.
2.) yes, ubiboot can load any kind of kernel. However, it depends on the kernel itself if it will start up correctly.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Is this project still under work or has it been buried?

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
It's alive, just stuff doesn't get pushed there atm. FilippZ promised hew ill push back at a later stage, as it's quite hackish atm.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
It's a shame that this project doesn't have the same momentum as the N900 one. As far as I can tell, this project only aims to provide a 3.5 kernel (which is now nearly 2.5 years old) and there seems to be little effort to upstream these patches. I'd love to do a DebiaN950/DebiaN9 to complement my DebiaN900 project but with such an outdated kernel, the incentive's just not there.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The kernel now works fine on N9, but, as you said, there is not enough motivation in upstreaming it. IIRC, it seems that many bits depend on closed source user space, and so are probably unsuitable for upstreaming (probably will not be accepted upstream)?
Also, probably the first step to upstream more code is to replace most of N9 board file with device tree equivalant.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 545 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ lebanon
https://mobile.twitter.com/fi1ippz/s...4572078080?p=v well bad news , filip N9 has died someone who has an extra N9 should donate it to him .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myname24 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
i have one N9 with broken usb port. it just fallen out and need to be soldered.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 579 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Požega, Croatia
Originally Posted by myname24 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/fi1ippz/s...4572078080?p=v well bad news , filip N9 has died someone who has an extra N9 should donate it to him .
My second N9 failed also (it powers off after inserting SIM and entering pin) - but both work, just not with 3G. Since 3G is know to be working in 3.5.3 for some time now (https://github.com/filippz/kernel-ad...1c54b344ffc9fd) I'm guessing that these broken devices won't be a problem.

Thanks anyway!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to filip.pz For This Useful Post: