Active Topics

Hi,

I've been playing with a pre-release N900 (I don't know what firmware version it had as I no longer have it) and while I've been massively impressed with it overall, one of the things that I was surprised that you couldn't do was to activate the dual LEDs when operating the video camera. The only light available was the automatic red light which seems to serve little purpose other than as an indication that it's recording.

Does anyone know if this feature will be available on the actual release version?

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere else, I did have a little search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
I hope it doesn't do a mandatory, irremovable, click sound when you take pictures...

Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
Hi,

I've been playing with a pre-release N900 (I don't know what firmware version it had as I no longer have it) and while I've been massively impressed with it overall, one of the things that I was surprised that you couldn't do was to activate the dual LEDs when operating the video camera. The only light available was the automatic red light which seems to serve little purpose other than as an indication that it's recording.

Does anyone know if this feature will be available on the actual release version?

Apologies if this has been addressed somewhere else, I did have a little search but couldn't find anything.

Cheers
As far as I understand it, that's quite a standard "non-feature" on most smartphones. Not having the ability to have the light on whilst recording. I can't thinkg of another smartphone that has that ability (thought I'm sure someone will correct me on htat soon enough).

I THINK I've read in the past it's got something to do with the fact the light is designed as a flash, rather than to be lit on any long term basis. So may be detrimental to the life of the LEDs.

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
I hope it doesn't do a mandatory, irremovable, click sound when you take pictures...
I've never had a phone or camera that has this forced upon the user, I can't see this being a problem. At least I hope it isn't.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Portugal
Using the leds as light must be possible. It is on the N97, N96, N95 and the more recent N. I know that the N82 wasn't able to use the Xenon flash as light. The 5800 is also able to use the leds on video recording.

I hope it's just a software issue because i am really really counting on using the leds as light while video recording for a personal project.

Have you checked the menu in video recording mode? They use a bulb as symbol for that.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Video capture + dual bright LEDs is going to chew through your battery. It seems like Nokia doesn't enable those kinds of things out of the box to prevent people from complaining about short use time. Hopefully someone will add it on a "user beware" basis--is that app open to the community?

Edit: Out of curiosity, i wanted to figure out just how much battery life that would take.i tried to find out the power of the LEDs used in the N95. I didn't find anything specific, but let's just take a conservative estimate of a 40 lumen output. That means ~0.5 W power drain by the LEDs. You take a one minute clip and you've used ~30 Joules of energy. A 1350 mAh Li battery has ~3.6 V*1.35 A-hr*3600 s/hr = 17.5 kJ, so one minute of LED is just 0.2% battery. Doesn't seem so significant to me after all. Probably made an error somewhere. Hmm

Last edited by Flandry; 2009-10-13 at 19:47.

Originally Posted by Dexter1759 View Post
As far as I understand it, that's quite a standard "non-feature" on most smartphones. Not having the ability to have the light on whilst recording. I can't thinkg of another smartphone that has that ability (thought I'm sure someone will correct me on htat soon enough).

I THINK I've read in the past it's got something to do with the fact the light is designed as a flash, rather than to be lit on any long term basis. So may be detrimental to the life of the LEDs.

I've never had a phone or camera that has this forced upon the user, I can't see this being a problem. At least I hope it isn't.
Yeah I remember reading this also when looking into a way round it for my N95. I don't know if it would strictly be considered a smartphone (well, certainly not in the N900's league anyway) but the N86 has this feature and to my (very limited) knowledge, has the same or a similar dual LED system. Hopefully it will be implemented in the release version, or perhaps modified by someone else.

The E63 has a torch function, where you can use the LED as a torch, so I cant see why this cant be done on N900, its an LED after all.

Mike C

Originally Posted by sinetype View Post
Using the leds as light must be possible. It is on the N97, N96, N95 and the more recent N. I know that the N82 wasn't able to use the Xenon flash as light. The 5800 is also able to use the leds on video recording.

I hope it's just a software issue because i am really really counting on using the leds as light while video recording for a personal project.

Have you checked the menu in video recording mode? They use a bulb as symbol for that.
Ah that has to be positive then (that so many other have this feature).

I did have a good fiddle around and definitely couldn't fnd a way of switching it on despite it being very obvious when using the standard still camera but it's also quite possible I was just being blind. It has been known lol.

Is there a way to turn the red light off for filming shopping lists?

;-)

The 5800 can deal with LEDs being left on for a long time, they didn't get particularly warm and never died on me when stumbling down poorly lit country roads. Obviously it would affect battery but no reason not to have the option there? The 5800 has a little lightbulb icon while recording to toggle leds.

Slightly O/T but does anyone know of any phone that has both and LED (for video) and Xenon flash feature? Or any reason why this wouldn't be possible? Got me thinking when I couldn't get the light on the N900 to work how useful this would be. Although perhaps I'm just being greedy