This article points out many of apples apps a not used. And from experience I know it is very hard to sift through the chaff and find anything I want.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/18144...re_unused.html

A few hundred well done apps is much more useful to most users IMO.

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Good ratings systems might help.

You can't stop people writing poor quality or niche apps. Maybe you can filter the quality, but it'd be annoying to lose niche apps which are useful to a few people.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
I have to agree that "a few hundred well-done apps are more useful" - though, we might all have a different set of a few hundred in mind (I don't bother with games on a phone/tablet - well, maybe chess).

But 100,000 gives bragging rights, and this is a marketing-fuled world, like it or not.

If I could get that health tracker I used on my N73/N75 from beta labs on the N900 I've on order, I would be happy. But that might not be of much interest to many.

So, perhaps to get a few hundred that meet a broad range of apps people regard as "good/well-done", you might need to have a library of a few thousand.

I agree that finding something among the chaff in Apple's app store is hard - but that's a categorization and search problem. A much easier problem to solve than inventory of applications.

I say this from the perspective of someone who has owned all three iPhones - and now own none.

The Following User Says Thank You to kjmackey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
even a shotgun may hit bullseye from time to time...

Can't help but to think that there could be less threads about apple...and more about maemo and the NITs it runs on.

And/or put posts like these in 'Alternatives' or whatever that sub-forum is called.

Last edited by Tintin; 2009-11-05 at 01:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Can't help but to think that there could be less threads about apple...and more about maemo and the NITs it runs on.

And/or put posts like these in 'Alternatives' or whatever that sub-forum is called.
The purpose was to show by analogy that Maemo doesn't need or want a huge app store if they merely go unused. Hence, it is very Maemo related since there has been a lot of criticism about Maemo (n900) not having enough apps.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Speaking of OS's, some users said that the number of installations of Windows 7 has already exceeded the total number of installations of Mac OS's ever.

I also find that finding any app in the Apple Store is hard. The top 25 categories kinda help. I think we need more maemo applications rated by users.

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by tso View Post
even a shotgun may hit bullseye from time to time...
Not from 100m away

Sorry, I'm being facetious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kjmackey View Post

But 100,000 gives bragging rights, and this is a marketing-fuled world, like it or not.
In that case we should just count every possible application that works on ARM in Linux. =P

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...