Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
And why is it the devil's spawn, may I ask?
It's C++ based. This alone brings problems.
http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/defective.html

If that wasn't enough Qt introduced:
- own extension set to the C++ language implemented with custom preprocessor
- own template and library incompatible with C++ standard libraries

This creates closed ecosystem, dependent on Trolltech (now Nokia subcompany).

Originally Posted by ivanzorkic View Post
Qt is cross-platform. More platforms - more apps. If anything will bring something even remotely close to App Store or Android Market on MeeGo, its Qt.
If having MeeGo Market means selling Free Software freedom for Qt, I won't go that way.

Cocoa, Dalvik, Qt - same crap, designed to tie developers to the chosen platform.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-04-20 at 10:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Guys, come on. There's a simple reason the N900 is in the top 10 for downloads from Ovi - it's all of us who re-flash our device once a week and have to re-download everything!

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Well I really hope my soon to be released N900 Ovi Themes will help push the N900 up that list.

**All Posts are made as a Community Member and not as a Super Moderator of this site.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Hangloose beat me to it. I was going to point out that I can barely think of 10 Nokia phones that have access to the Ovi store.

With that in mind it is easy to see how it makes it into the top 10. And 1.6 million hits has to be desparate people trying to find something, anything they can download and use from the ovi store.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
How do these Ovi stats compare to the competition? Very badly I presume.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
Cocoa, Dalvik, Qt - same crap, designed to tie developers to the chosen platform.
So how come MeeGo is supposed to be cross-platform, if QT is designed to do what you say it'd do?

MeeGo IS a platform...

Dalvik ties you to a single platform, but it is much more restrictive than QT, harder to get around.

QT doesn't tie you to a single platform, it ties you to platforms that support QT, which is a set of platforms... QT hopefully brings the work of many Symbian developers to MeeGo. Interesting enough, Symbian/QT doesn't tie you to Nokia. Maemo pretty much did, so far.

Ovi's competition: Android's store is rapidly growing. Like, most of it's applications are two months old or less.